Anyone try this for scale/sooty old/mealy bug??

TikiRick

21/06/09
Insects:
1 pint 409 cleaner, 1 pint rubbing alcohol, 3 quarts water. Spray every 5 days.

Leaf molds:
1 tblspn baking soda
1 tblspn cooking oil
1 tblspn detergent
1 gallon water
Spray once weekly until sooty mold or mealy bug is gone

Rick,even diluted i'd be hesitant to use 409 on plants. The alcohol you mentioned acts as a spreader sticker. I like to use peroxide and dish soap for old sooty mold. Spray it on thoroughly and let it work for 5-10 minutes. When i hose it down i am always amazed at how much crud comes off. Even more effective if i work it into the leaves a bit

Yes
Rick,even diluted i'd be hesitant to use 409 on plants. The alcohol you mentioned acts as a spreader sticker. I like to use peroxide and dish soap for old sooty mold. Spray it on thoroughly and let it work for 5-10 minutes. When i hose it down i am always amazed at how much crud comes off. Even more effective if i work it into the leaves a bit
Yes Tim I have used dish soap with good results please tell me how much peroxide you use and what strength you use ( Pharmacy or commercial)?

Kip, I purchase the 35% Hydrogen Peroxide by the case from an online source. It helps with the overall cost with the shipping. Because this is a a corrosive liquid, it can only be shipped ground, is signature required, and has a bit of weight to it. The store bought peroxide is a standard 3%, and should be used full strength on plants. I dilute my peroxide to make a 3% solution, which comes to 12 oz of peroxide per gallon of water. I feel that the product I get is a bit "hotter" even diluted properly than the store brand stuff. It also needs refrigeration to keep the product fresh. I can literally see crud burning off the plants when applied by sprayer. If you want my source for the product, I'd be happy to get it to you.

Years ago, I wrote this article for the Croton Society newsletter about horticultural use of peroxide:

"USE PEROXIDE ON MY CROTONS? ARE YOU SERIOUS??? "
By Perry Edge
In a word, yes. It’s another common household item which can help make your crotons grow
better. So how does it work? Without getting too technical, the chemical formula of peroxide is
H2O2, meaning it contains one more atom of oxygen than water (H2O). Rainwater is much more
effective than tap water on plants, partly because it contains hydrogen peroxide. But you can’t always
depend on rainwater to be available when you need your plants watered. In addition, rainwater
can be stripped of its peroxide by pollution particulates and other nasty stuff in the atmosphere. Peroxide is unstable, and as it breaks down, it releases oxygen. Although it might seem strange, plant roots need oxygen for healthy growth. Using a peroxide solution to water plants can kill bad root material and bacteria, while
it oxygenates the roots as well. Over watering plants is one of the most common sins committed by gardeners, resulting
in depletion of oxygen (hypoxia), but peroxide can help restore the balance. Treating potting soil with peroxide
before planting can kick-start your seedlings, rooted cuttings and air layers. In addition, USDA has approved
spraying plants with H2O2 to control microbial pests, bacteria, and fungi. Anecdotal reports indicate that there may
be additional growth benefits that peroxide can provide, including controlling small insects.
A typical over the counter bottle of peroxide is a 3% solution. But it may not be very cost effective to use that if
you have a lot of plants (see mixing instructions below). Peroxide is available in much stronger solutions, if you are
willing to do a bit of searching. It is used by food services as a disinfectant and by beauticians to lighten hair color.
Some beauty salon suppliers will sell it to the public, usually in 35% or 40% strength. I was able to purchase the
40% from a local beauty salon supplier. The brand name was Clairoxide 40.
WARNING! Peroxide in strengths substantially greater than 3% to 5% can be very dangerous if it
gets on your skin, in your eyes or is inhaled or swallowed. Wear heavy gloves and hold the bottle as far
away from you as possible while opening and pouring the solution. Needless to say, it could wreak havoc on
your clothing as well.
MIXING INSTRUCTIONS
To use over the counter 3% peroxide, add ½ cup to 1 gallon of water
To make an insecticide spray, mix 8 oz. white sugar with 4-8 oz of 3% peroxide in 1 gallon water
(Note: 2 tablespoons =1 oz)
To make a solution from 40% peroxide, use 3 teaspoons in 2 gallons of water."

Hope this helps. Good luck

Dang - I find using the peroxide treatment intriguing. If Perry and Tim have has success using it, I am sold. I'm gonna talk to my Barber to see if he can order me a gallon, I'm sure he has a vendor that supplies the 40% product. I especially like to see how it does removing sooty deposits from woody stems.

Dang - I find using the peroxide treatment intriguing. If Perry and Tim have has success using it, I am sold. I'm gonna talk to my Barber to see if he can order me a gallon, I'm sure he has a vendor that supplies the 40% product. I especially like to see how it does removing sooty deposits from woody stems.
Thanks to Tim and Perry for doing the math. I think any beauty supply in Hialeah should have the 40%

Good stuff Kip, it looks like to me if a little is good a lot is great theory could get me in trouble. Thanks