REAL JOHANNIS ??

Kingdavid

Esteemed Member
17/09/12
040.JPG
006.JPG
2 different plants ..... Your thoughts..... Not really sure if this is the correct name ? Ive seen others called the same name ,,, The greener one has 22 inch leaves ... the other has only 15 inch leaves
155.JPG
156.JPG

David, the leaves of the first two posts are incredable! May I ask what is in the first pic behind the croton in question? (The smaller leafed mostly all yellow) ...thank you, Mark

Joannis is a well-established and fairly common cultivar. Generally cream colored on green and lots of interrupted leaves. None of the above look a lot like it other than they are all narrow leafed varieties. Good looking plants whatever they are.

David I don't have any clue what they are but I will post my Johannis as per pg 79 Dr. Brown.

Thanks for everyones thoughts , havent seen any pics of Von Oosterezii . Any pics out there ??? And Thanks for the pic f real Johannis

Heres the next question .... Is it a common plant , uncommon plant , kinda rare i just dont know much about them .....

Heres the next question .... Is it a common plant , uncommon plant , kinda rare i just dont know much about them .....

David - I would venture to say that this croton is well represented in many a collector's garden. Probably not found as a garden variety croton in others. This was a croton introduced by Veitch & Sons to England. They were not hybridists but a plant collectors. This was probably discovered somewhere around East Asia. With the advent of the Miami Hybridizers who focused on mostly large leaved crotons, many of the smaller and thin leaved original varieties may have fallen out of favor. If it were not for Frank Brown, the Croton Society and collectors, this croton may have disappeared or been forgotten.