Averrhoa carambola (Starfruit)

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Averrhoa carambola commonly called Starfruit is a widespread native to the asiatic areas of the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, India, Bangladesh & Sri Lanka. It thrives very well in the South Florida climate and is even tolerant of our poor soils. :) My neighbor (thank God, it is prolific) harvests much of the fruit and uses it in a juicer. :D

The past two winters caused no ill effects to my tree. I am unaware of its northern boundaries. I suspect it would have done well in the St. Pete / Tampa area until the last two cold seasons. Is anyone growing Starfruit up yonder? :confused:

Attachments

• DSCF4717.jpg
    DSCF4717.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 318
  • DSCF4718.jpg
    DSCF4718.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 311
Ron, I am growing Carambola up here and have had no problems with the cold in the 12 years I have had it growing. I just noticed this weekend I should have ripe fruit in the next week and new flowers are now open as well.

Scott - perhaps you could describe the flavor to Dean. I am racking my brain trying to find a "it tastes like ..." example. :confused:

Ron, I am growing Carambola up here and have had no problems with the cold in the 12 years I have had it growing. I just noticed this weekend I should have ripe fruit in the next week and new flowers are now open as well.

Dean, The taste reminds me of a very juicy pear crossed with a honeydew melon. I am not crazy about the taste and will eat around 3-4 of the fruit a year. The juice is very good and I need to get a juicer to juice them this time.

How could you not like a juicy pear crossed with a honeydew? One more question. Is it the type of fruit that is better when left to ripen a tad after picking? Or best right off the tree?

Dean, The best taste IMO is left to ripen to a bright yellow on the tree. They can be picked in a light greenish yellow stage and placed in a paper bag to ripen. I like pears but not crazy on honeydew. I love the taste of plums, but have not found a good plum since moving from VA. The plums sold in the stores have no taste.

Fruit and flowers today.

Attachments

• IMG_5149.jpg
    IMG_5149.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_5155.jpg
    IMG_5155.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 333
These do fantastic here in Pinellas. At a park where I walk, 2 miles from here, there is a huge tree that always has a bumper crop. They get large but can be pruned to size. The key is to cut the sides along the edges about a 1/4" where they jut out. That can be bitter. A good fruit to me tastes like a pear mixed with a ripe white grape. texture is similar to a softer apple.

These do fantastic here in Pinellas. At a park where I walk, 2 miles from here, there is a huge tree that always has a bumper crop. They get large but can be pruned to size. The key is to cut the sides along the edges about a 1/4" where they jut out. That can be bitter. A good fruit to me tastes like a pear mixed with a ripe white grape. texture is similar to a softer apple.

The fruit is also pleasantly aromatic. The are good fruit & leaf salads. When sliced they make an nice star shape (hence the common name starfruit) and are pretty edible garnish on party platters. The green ones are tart. I have someone that drops by at least once per week for the fruit. He makes a starfruit salsa. Does the same with mangoes when in season. :cool:

The Tree be Loaded Mon :p

Attachments

• Carambola Fruit 1.JPG
    Carambola Fruit 1.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 284
  • Carambola Fruit 2.JPG
    Carambola Fruit 2.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 278
  • Carambola Fruit 3.JPG
    Carambola Fruit 3.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 279
  • Carambola Fruit 4.JPG
    Carambola Fruit 4.JPG
    249.6 KB · Views: 295
I've had a bunch, but none as sweet and as large my tree

Grilled Carombola: Cut Carombola into stars, brush with olive oil & sprinkle with sugar. Grill both sides until caramelized :p Yum

I've had a bunch, but none as sweet and as large my tree

Grilled Carombola: Cut Carombola into stars, brush with olive oil & sprinkle with sugar. Grill both sides until caramelized :p Yum

I am going to give the grilled stars a try.
IMG_3503.jpg

In a tropical fruit book I had in th eightie.... (pre hurricane WILMA ) it had a bread and butter pickle recipe... and they were delicious!,,,,,,,, and in both pint, and quart jars, with the sliced stars....... and mustard seeds they were "a dang vision of lolliness " Made darn good presents.......

In a tropical fruit book I had in th eightie.... (pre hurricane WILMA ) it had a bread and butter pickle recipe... and they were delicious!,,,,,,,, and in both pint, and quart jars, with the sliced stars....... and mustard seeds they were "a dang vision of lolliness " Made darn good presents.......

Mark - I'll bet they are excellent pickled. My neighbor across the street loves to juice them. I have another buddy who makes a salsa out of them. Just harvested a bunch on Christmas Eve - given away to some very pleased friends.

So nice to have fruit to harvest during the winter. Also its a pretty attractive feature in the garden. Thinking that there were not many fruit set after the flowering, was surprised to see all the fruit. The green fruits are hard to see since they have the same shape of the leaves in blend in the foliage so well.

Carambola 1.JPG
Carambola 2.JPG
Carambola 3.JPG