A Judy Glock Croton

Jim Glock

07/07/09
Since I have retired, I have decided to learn how (I hope) to put some pictures of my wife's crotons on the forum. Judy has been growing some new seedlings for several years. Some are really starting to look good. I am going to attempt to post a picture of her Orange Crush. Wish me luck.
Orange Crush.JPG

Since I have retired, I have decided to learn how (I hope) to put some pictures of my wife's crotons on the forum. Judy has been growing some new seedlings for several years. Some are really starting to look good. I am going to attempt to post a picture of her Orange Crush. Wish me luck.View attachment 29858

What a beauty! A great name too.

Wow, I think this croton deserves to go in the wiki. But what should the criteria be? Is it large enough? Are there more than one plant? Has it been shared with others to make sure it goes on? What do you think?

Anna, it's OK with me to wait until we can propagate this croton and get it out for distribution! We just wanted to share, Thanks,

Judy, I'm so glad you shared. Orange Crush is absolutely gorgeous. I'm just asking, so we know, what IS the criteria for putting new seedlings in the wiki, because I'm the one that does it and I don't know! I want so much to have some guidelines to go by because I don't want to do something that others don't agree with. Mike W. posted some beautiful seedlings a while back too and I didn't put them in not knowing if I should yet. I've put some of Keith Hanks hybrids in that I don't think have been released yet. What am I supposed to do? Please give me suggestions, people, of what you'd like to see as the criteria! I shouldn't be the one that decides if something goes in or doesn't. There should be some criteria I think.

I think there was a general consensus that once a plant had been propagated and shared that would be enough for the Wiki.Then again the Renfroe hybrid "the Pearl" is in the wiki and they never shared their plants ??Keith said the plant is now dead and was never shared,I can never understand why people who have great seedlings do not share them with at least one other person??

I agree Mike, it's absurd! But Ana, IMO a seedling like this that is now at maturity should be put in the WIKI. The Glocks are some of the most sharing crotonheads around and I can promise you that this plant will be propagated sometime in 2015. Besides, if it were lost, the name and picture can be easily removed. Right?

So the plant has to have been propagated and shared. Then, what's the criteria for what makes a plant worthy of being entered?

Others decided that for historical purposes, the calendar photos should all go in. That's why I've been entering all of them, and that is how The Pearl got in. I asked the same questionThere are others that got entered from the calendar photos that may not exist anymore, there are several I've never heard of and have never seen, but they have all been entered since that's what was decided. Now it's being questioned after all that work!

My personal opinion is that Orange Crush should go in since I would bet everyone on this forum would love to have one, and I also don't have any worries that this plant won't be shared. I'm sure sometimes the decision won't be so easy, so it would be nice to have some criteria. How about something about the plant having different enough characteristics than others?

So the plant has to have been propagated and shared. Then, what's the criteria for what makes a plant worthy of being entered?

Others decided that for historical purposes, the calendar photos should all go in. That's why I've been entering all of them, and that is how The Pearl got in. I asked the same questionThere are others that got entered from the calendar photos that may not exist anymore, there are several I've never heard of and have never seen, but they have all been entered since that's what was decided. Now it's being questioned after all that work!

My personal opinion is that Orange Crush should go in since I would bet everyone on this forum would love to have one, and I also don't have any worries that this plant won't be shared. I'm sure sometimes the decision won't be so easy, so it would be nice to have some criteria. How about something about the plant having different enough characteristics than others?

Ana,I agree with the Pearl being put in the Wiki also,there are always exceptions to every guideline,It was a very pretty plant :) Even in the book there are many plants that no longer exist,as far as my seedlings I have to wait a little more time before naming and or putting them in the Wiki.They are too small right now and a bad winter will likely kill them ):

If we must wait for some type of criteria to be met to go in the Wiki, I say make a listing in the Croton Wiki of the up and coming new plants. Give it some type of a catchy heading (ex: Members Reserve). After it meets the criteria of being shared it then moves to the mainstream Croton listing. Just an idea.

Ana,I agree with the Pearl being put in the Wiki also,there are always exceptions to every guideline,It was a very pretty plant :) Even in the book there are many plants that no longer exist,as far as my seedlings I have to wait a little more time before naming and or putting them in the Wiki.They are too small right now and a bad winter will likely kill them ):
Mike, you can give your seedlings a winter home in the Keys if you want to!

Mike, you can give your seedlings a winter home in the Keys if you want to![/QUOTE

Thanks for the offer :) but they are growing in the ground now and I always favor tough love.They will be fine once we do not get into the low 30's this winter

Mike, let me know when they are ready. I remember they were exceptional. Scott, I do like that idea. That would serve as a reminder for us- especially me, since my memory is bad.

I also think that new plants deserve a place in the wiki, even if they are seedlings. We may need photo updates from time to time, since seedlings take some time (5-6 years?) to stabilize. Orange Crush definitely deserves a place in the spotlight. The process of determining whether a new plant is different enough to warrant its own name is tricky. In speaking with Dr. Brown years ago (who patented many plants in his career) about the plant patenting process, he said it requires a lot of proof to convince the powers to be that a plant variety is different enough to deserve its own patent. I would like to think that we can be a bit more informal for the wiki, although some may argue that we also carry the burden of having what is now the only worldwide Croton reference encyclcopedia (to my knowledge), even surpassing the scope of Dr. Brown's seminal 2nd book.

Any possibility that we could post unidentified Crotons on the wiki on their own section, in the hopes that someone might come forward and positively identify one?.

Perry, that was supposed to be the function of the above subforum (Name that Croton), for ID's. Marie Nock had suggested that and Dean created one for us. However, it's not been used very much. People like posting here better since it seems to get more visibility. That forum is available for such purpose, though.

Perry, that was supposed to be the function of the above subforum (Name that Croton), for ID's. Marie Nock had suggested that and Dean created one for us. However, it's not been used very much. People like posting here better since it seems to get more visibility. That forum is available for such purpose, though.
Good to know. I may post some my seedlings/mystery crotons there...no names yet, though