Wiki photos 2014

Today's entries are from the 2004 Croton Society Calendar. They are Aubrey Christian Hybrids, calendar photos submitted by Perry Edge:

February- Claude Lorraine
March- Polychrome
April- Rubens
May- Mosaic
June- Corot
July- Michelangelo
August- Blotched Corot
September- Aubrey Christian
October- Confucius
November- Norman Rockwell

Also entered are:

Marigold/Yellow Duke of Windsor- Perry Edge
Thomas Hitchcock- Perry Edge
Fred Sander - Perry Edge

Check out Perry's new landscape photos page on the 'Crotons in the Landscape forum'

*** The Aubrey Christian photo entered to me doesn't look like the Aubrey Christian that's already in there. Could some of you look and see what you think?

Last edited:
*** The Aubrey Christian photo entered to me doesn't look like the Aubrey Christian that's already in there. Could some of you look and see what you think?

Ana, when I saw the photo of Aubrey Christian, I realized that it didn't look like what I have as Aubrey Christian. Mine is similar to what is in the wiki. Problem is, I don't know which is correct.

Ana, when I saw the photo of Aubrey Christian, I realized that it didn't look like what I have as Aubrey Christian. Mine is similar to what is in the wiki. Problem is, I don't know which is correct.

Well, the "other Aubrey Christian" in the Wiki is my plant. According to my records it was acquired from Jeff Searle. When looking at the newly posted Calendar photos, I noticed that the calendar Aubrey Christian was not the same cultivar as mine. So I am assuming that Marie, Jeff and certainly others have Aubrey Christians that are not the same as the calendar photo.

I may recall Ray and relayed that the Aubrey Christian photos I posted in an earlier thread were actually Captain Kidd. Both are attractive crotons, here we go with the name game again.

Curious if Marie or Jeff can recall the source of their examples of "Aubrey Christian"?

Last edited:
Today's entries are from the 2006 Croton Society Calendar and were submitted by Perry Edge. Where there are identical photos in the calendars, I do not post them twice in the wiki. Sometimes when there is a month that is not entered, it's either because there was no photo for that month or because it is a duplicate photo from one of the other calendars that's already been entered.

February- Cronstadt
March- Exiter
April- Fishbone
May- Doris Decker
June- Tortoise Shell/Turtle Back
July- Queen of Siam?***
September- Reliance
October- Embassy
November- Puccini
Bonus Photo- Twist and Point

***This photo was titled 'Queen of Siam', however, I think the plant pictured is the REAL King of Siam. Please let me know what you think. I entered it in King of Siam, but I'm not sure I did the right thing.

Today's entries are from the 2006 Croton Society Calendar and were submitted by Perry Edge. Where there are identical photos in the calendars, I do not post them twice in the wiki. Sometimes when there is a month that is not entered, it's either because there was no photo for that month or because it is a duplicate photo from one of the other calendars that's already been entered.

February- Cronstadt
March- Exiter
April- Fishbone
May- Doris Decker
June- Tortoise Shell/Turtle Back
July- Queen of Siam?***
September- Reliance
October- Embassy
November- Puccini
Bonus Photo- Twist and Point

***This photo was titled 'Queen of Siam', however, I think the plant pictured is the REAL King of Siam. Please let me know what you think. I entered it in King of Siam, but I'm not sure I did the right thing.

I agree with you Anna but other will need to chime in.We have two very different plants with the same name,we will have to choose only one for the Wiki.I vote for the one from the calender also.

Oooooohhh. Maybe others will chime in about Aubrey Christian. Do any of the old society members have any input?

And I don't know about the calendar photo I put in under King of Siam that says 'Queen of Siam'. Mike, the fact that we have two very different plants for King of Siam is an issue as well. Anyone else have any thoughts about the calendar photo and where it belongs? Maybe I should remove it since it's just so out of sync with the rest.

The calendar photo of the Aubrey Christian looks nothing like the photo on pg 98 of Dr. Browns book. I see no correction for the A. Christian photo listed for the one in the book. I would say remove the calendar photo. The King Of Siam is known to have 2 different plants with the same name. I see that as being no different as having 1 plant with 2 different and sometimes more names.

My Aubrey Christian. A very slow grower, is identical to the one in the Calender. The other pic in the Wiki looks like my Capt Kidd, I got from Jeff about a year ago. Got my Aubrey Christian 7 to 8 years ago at a Croton Society sale in Tampa.

My Aubrey Christian. A very slow grower, is identical to the one in the Calender. The other pic in the Wiki looks like my Capt Kidd, I got from Jeff about a year ago. Got my Aubrey Christian 7 to 8 years ago at a Croton Society sale in Tampa.
I checked the wiki photos of C. Kidd and I agree with Judy that the other non calendar photos may not be the real A. Christian. But I see no correction for the book photos. The plot thickens.

Hahahaha! Wow, the fog is really thick at the moment. At least two Aubrey Christians. Is the one on page 98 of Dr. Brown's book a third, or is it like Ron's and Marie's? Could Ron's and Marie's be Captain Kidd?

And speaking of confusion, I'm still confused about Victor Lemoine. Rick Leitner's plant in the wiki seems to fit the description of the plant. I'm not sure Ron's and David's photos in the wiki fit the description, and they don't look like Rick's to me. Could they be Rubens instead? The leaf shape at least looks like Rubens and the colors seem less like reds and more like they could evolve to be pinks/pastels. Any thoughts?

Oooooohhh. Maybe others will chime in about Aubrey Christian. Do any of the old society members have any input?

And I don't know about the calendar photo I put in under King of Siam that says 'Queen of Siam'. Mike, the fact that we have two very different plants for King of Siam is an issue as well. Anyone else have any thoughts about the calendar photo and where it belongs? Maybe I should remove it since it's just so out of sync with the rest.

How about putting it under True King of Siam??A few people already refer to it as that name

Good idea, Mike. I think I will. However, is the one from the Calendar that says 'Queen of Siam' a True King of Siam? That is my other question. I thought it was, so I put it under King of Siam. Take a look if you will. And anyone else, too. Thanks.

Good idea, Mike. I think I will. However, is the one from the Calendar that says 'Queen of Siam' a True King of Siam? That is my other question. I thought it was, so I put it under King of Siam. Take a look if you will. And anyone else, too. Thanks.

Looks exactly the same to me

Hahahaha! Wow, the fog is really thick at the moment. At least two Aubrey Christians. Is the one on page 98 of Dr. Brown's book a third, or is it like Ron's and Marie's? Could Ron's and Marie's be Captain Kidd?

And speaking of confusion, I'm still confused about Victor Lemoine. Rick Leitner's plant in the wiki seems to fit the description of the plant. I'm not sure Ron's and David's photos in the wiki fit the description, and they don't look like Rick's to me. Could they be Rubens instead? The leaf shape at least looks like Rubens and the colors seem less like reds and more like they could evolve to be pinks/pastels. Any thoughts?

Ana - The "Victor Lemoine" that I am credited for the photo in the WIKI is not my plant. I believe I found that growing in very heavy shade just west of Jeff's office at his nursery. The name came from the metal tag. Could be a matter of light conditions. The leaf shape looks appropriate.

Additionally, I picked up a "Victor Lemoine" at one of the Extravaganza sales. Ray Hernandez and I both agreed that it did not look like one. Ray thought it looked more like a Philippine Red. It did not matter to me since I liked the croton.

Foggy conditions ensue ...

fog.jpg

Is the picture in post #8 In the Under the Old oak tree not a victor Lemone ?? It stays pretty close to that color all the time . No reds tho ...

Today's entries:

True King of Siam- I also left the photos under King of Siam to remember that this is the original croton by that name
Ben Alexander- Ron Kiefert
Robert Lavalois- Ron Kiefert
Potter's Pink Veitchii- Ron Kiefert
October Surprise- Phil Stager
Noblis/Nobilis- Lamar Sapp