Covergirl

Bullwinkle

Esteemed Member
17/11/10
Johnny finally ID this one yesterday.I had been wondering??I did not know that Covergirl had leaves as big as this??
20141102_170017 (2).jpg

I certainly can't be sure from the picture, but I'm thinking no. It just doesn't match up to my plant in the yard. I would like to see it in person though some day.

I certainly can't be sure from the picture, but I'm thinking no. It just doesn't match up to my plant in the yard. I would like to see it in person though so

Covergirl would not have been my first guess either but Johnny seemed quite sure.It stumped all the experts on the tour and Johnny has seen a few crotons over the years so I put a name to it.Please come by any day to see the garden Jeff.The plant is in deep shade and is quite slow.

Cover girl or not, this plant is spectacular. Maybe the most spectacular plant I've seen yet. I don't understand how a plant that gets so little light can develop such intense coloration. Mike you are doing something right. It loves you.:)

Let us leave this unclassified for now,it sure holds its color in low light and it does look different than the Covergirl's on this site.

I saw a pic from you moose on page 36 today of this forum. Pic was called helen edge, reminded me of these photos but I am terrible at IDs and didn't do a side by side photo compare

Mike, could your plant be the elusive Dino Martin? I found mine today buried in the bushes so it doesn't look so hot but the colors are right.

Mike, could your plant be the elusive Dino Martin? I found mine today buried in the bushes so it doesn't look so hot but the colors are right.

Wow Marie,you might be unto something .It has been in the collection from around that time.When I moved many things lost tags and I had 300 pots just sitting around waiting to be planted.The correct spelling is actually Dino Martens (an Italian Murano glass designer)I will compare it to yours when I come down that way.

You know, something in my gut tells me it's a little different than Zulu. At least comparing the plant I saw in person to the plants in the wiki. Mike, yours is much more well defined and striking, more compact. The colors are very striking, almost electric. Let me know what you two decide and if needed, I will start a new entry for Dino Martens. That plant would turn anyone's head several times. I'm not sure a nice Zulu would do the same.