Mike Woolery's plant

annafl

Esteemed Member
This gorgeous plant was in the front yard to the right as you came into the yard, under a tree and in full sun. It was amazing. A relatively small plant (2-3 feet), with relatively small leaves (4 to 6 inches?). Very compact and the color was incredible. What is it? A few of us talking came to the conclusion it is a Zulu. What say you?

Zulu-Mike.JPG

http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/thre...hybrid-crysophyllum-lavaloie.3754/#post-41343 Hi all, I've copied this link from a post I put up in July 2013. The plant is not as nice as Mike's, but is quite similar. It was immediately ID'd as Zulu. I had a couple of these that I had auctioned off. One at the last auction, and a nicer plant at the Glock's auction last year. I think Perry might have won the bid. It would be great if he could post a pic.

Lamar...general variations ? Or some grown in more sun ?
Be nice to do a grouping of all 4...different but the same

1st pic. Mostly shaded on west walkway, others came from big mommy in the back sea wall, the red one is deep shade on north side of the plant.
image.jpg

This gorgeous plant was in the front yard to the right as you came into the yard, under a tree and in full sun. It was amazing. A relatively small plant (2-3 feet), with relatively small leaves (4 to 6 inches?). Very compact and the color was incredible. What is it? A few of us talking came to the conclusion it is a Zulu. What say you?

View attachment 29294
I keep thinking about this thread every time I see my Ethel Craig.
CAM00801.jpg

Tim I think the B W Beauties color bleeds on the leaf where as your E C is far more distinct. I also think your leaf tips come to a sharper point. I like all the plants of this type, I will post one from the front yard with this post.
image.jpg

Tim, that's a beautiful Ethel Craig. If you can, will you get another photo in sharper focus?

Getting back to Mike's plant, I just can't convince myself that it's Zulu. The markings are so distinct and the coloration so regularly yellow-orange. I think if it were put side by side with Zulu, it would be evident. Anyone have a Dino Martens they can post?

Tim, that's a beautiful Ethel Craig. If you can, will you get another photo in sharper focus?

Getting back to Mike's plant, I just can't convince myself that it's Zulu. The markings are so distinct and the coloration so regularly yellow-orange. I think if it were put side by side with Zulu, it would be evident. Anyone have a Dino Martens they can post?
Dino Martens.jpg

???

I am 50/50 on this plant.It might be the plant that I picked up from a garden in Homestead where the gentleman had a bunch of Thai varieties that that died in 2009-10 freeze.It could also be a cutting that I picked up from a small nursery in Redlands around the same time.Both of the original plants are now dead so I will be sharing this one in 2015.I already have an airlayer on it from Nov 4th that should be ready to come off in a few weeks.It is a moderate grower and definitely holds it colour in low light.