Croton tour Nov 1 in Plantation

Yesterday was a magnificent day!! Awesome hosts,awesome gardens, awesome number of high quality crotons!! Mike did a great job as auctioneer! I loved the grilled swordfish,as well as all the other good eats! Had a great time with all the other croton enthusiasts! And came home with some great plants! Thanks again! Jim and Judy
This post says it all. Thanks Mike W, Mike H, Hans, and Lamar

Mike, your plant in post #68, that was around a tree in the front yard was spectacular! A few of us were talking and thought it could be Zulu. Look and see what you think. Amazing plant. Does anyone have an opinion? It was almost florescent.

I think Mike got it as an Ethel Craig which it is not. In my opinion its an exceptional Noblissima (aka Zulu) grown in perfect lighting, great soil and well fed.

I also want to thank everyone for putting up with a bunch of friends & strangers trekking through their magnificent gardens. Another awesome day for all of us crotonheads! Great seeing everyone also.

Keith Hanks was able to identify a croton during the tour that has stumped a number of us for a few years. It's the croton that we put the place holder name, Tim Anderson on. The true name is Strawberry. Now we have to find another worthy of Tim's name.

DSC_0473.JPG

Oh, thanks, Keith and Marie. I will change it in the wiki. Hey, keep the photos coming, people! All the photos of the beautiful crotons you took in the gardens- please post them. If you don't know how, PM me and I'll give you my email so you can send them to me that way. However, if you post them in the forum it's much easier for me. Thanks.

My daughter so enjoyed the tours and getting to meet some of the croton crew. Great event; how about 2 events next year? Phil says he is willing to host one.

My daughter so enjoyed the tours and getting to meet some of the croton crew. Great event; how about 2 events next year? Phil says he is willing to host one.

George Z and Jeff S both mentioned that they would be ready for November, that leaves March/April wide open.Judy had mentioned she might be interested in having one down in the keys and Phil garden would also be great.Either way I will be there,I had invited a few new people and they were so impressed they were hoping we would have another meeting before year end :)
I told them that we only do this only once or twice a year and they were very disappointed.There a certainly a few new collectors that have been bitten hard by the bug.

If it comes to pass that there's a event next year in St. Pete, Phil and I were discussing the possibility of including a tour of Sunken Gardens and/or the Florida Botanical Garden in Largo. Sunken Gardens has an reasonable admission fee (seniors get a discount); the other garden is free. Neither garden has an outstanding Croton collection, but nonetheless are well worth seeing.

If it comes to pass that there's a event next year in St. Pete, Phil and I were discussing the possibility of including a tour of Sunken Gardens and/or the Florida Botanical Garden in Largo. Sunken Gardens has an reasonable admission fee (seniors get a discount); the other garden is free. Neither garden has an outstanding Croton collection, but nonetheless are well worth seeing.

I really enjoyed Sunken Gardens,I think they recently picked up a new palm/cycad collection that I would love to see.

Sunken Gardens got the rarest cycads from the U.A. Young collection, e.g., the only Cycas scratchleyana in N. America, several Microcycas calocoma, an Encephalartos latifrons, and several E. horridus. The rarest palm, the Lodicea maldivica, went to Gaylord Palms since they have a totally enclosed environment. Not a lot of crotons at SG, but the place has never looked better in 25 years. The rest of the U.A. young palm and cycad collection (some 450 plants) went to the Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum on the waterfront.

Sunken Gardens got the rarest cycads from the U.A. Young collection, e.g., the only Cycas scratchleyana in N. America, several Microcycas calocoma, an Encephalartos latifrons, and several E. horridus. The rarest palm, the Lodicea maldivica, went to Gaylord Palms since they have a totally enclosed environment. Not a lot of crotons at SG, but the place has never looked better in 25 years. The rest of the U.A. young palm and cycad collection (some 450 plants) went to the Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum on the waterfront.

How could I forget about the arboretum; all of the palm collectors in our group (and there are many) might be interested in that as well. So many choices....so little time