Croton tour Nov 1 in Plantation

image.jpg
image.jpg
My Cameo's all have what I call a thumb.

David that is why I posted it, I am looking for the one more like yours. Not to say it's not Cameo just could be an example without the thumb.

Carol (Cookie) asked me to post these pics of her auction plants.She will be bringing more than these but these are a few of her beauties.
CAROL4.jpg
CAROL2.jpg
CAROL4.jpg
CAROL2.jpg
CAROL3.jpg
CAROL1.jpg

Carol will be bringing Flame,Alonzo's Racing Red,Ishi (I think this is probably a nice Princess Eugenia),Herringbone,Butterball,Rubens,Francis Spae,Carol Graff and a new unnamed seedling

Everyone please PM me and I will send out the addresses now as I have all the addresses ready to send out.Anyone who wants can call me directly on 954-6736882 (cell)
Weather looks like it will be great ,long range weather forecast for next saturday looks to be around 80 and sunny.

Parking at our home is a problem, we have to park in the street. Please stay on the pavement, irrigation heads in all the lawns except my friend to the west. If you have any issues call me at 772 201 4000, Mike has a P/M system set up for addresses. If we have any fish eaters in the club, I hope what I have planned will prove to be a special treat for everyone at Mike's for the luncheon. Can you see anything you might like in this lineup.
image.jpg

Lots of good stuff there Lamar,bring em all :) As far as my house parking is plentiful,There is a park directly in front of my house and everyone can park right there.

A friend of mine would like to have a Robert Lavalois, but I just gave my last air layer away. If anyone has one you can spare, please bring it Saturday. Thanks

I just pulled plants for the auction:
Peaches and Cream
In the Pink
Tangerine Twist
Nancy Reagan
Helen Coppinger
Mackenzie
Three Toes
Blotched Jungle Queen
Blotched Rubens

Thank you weather gods, thank you to all the great people who made this an exceptional day. We had more that fifty guest for the day and you made it very special. Your coments were very much appreacated. I think I can speak for everyone, the plant auction a Mike Harris's was record setting in quality and numbers. A special thank you for Mike (Bullwinkle) Woolery the organizer.

Thank you for the great garden tours you guys! Very inspiring. Loved seeing old friends and new faces. I regret having to bail prior to auction start but we had a 3.5hr trip home to let our dogs out. I look forward to the spring get-together. We will plan on staying over next time!

Before we even get to the crotons,the food was great, passionfruit pie and fresh Atlantic Swordfish!!Wow I felt that I was eating at a gourmet restaurant.The gardens were great and the weather perfect.I cannot wait until we do this again.The auction plants were fantastic.I came back with over 13 plants which is a record for me.Thanks to everyone who attended.

A big thank you to everyone who helped to organize and host the event today. The gardens were all very impressive and were a pleasure to visit. What a treat it was to meet some new folks and to see old friends. What a great day!

I don't wanna know what Lamar had to promise the weather gods (maybe no dancing ?) but they listened and rewarded us with a great day to hang out with like minded friends who share the passion. I think Rascal had the best time making new friends with everybody. Big thanks for coming to all...especially those that came over from the west coast & up from the keys.

What an array of cultivars there was. I defy anyone to recall ever seeing so many rare to uncommon plants ever assembled in one spot. From my guesstimate, there were about 180+ crotons auctioned. Kudos to Mike working the Auction until his voice started to fail.

It was wonderful seeing all the smiles and great plants. Big thanks to the organizers and garden hosts, probably the best plant related function I've been to in 2014!

Ron

What a fun day! Thanks to our hosts Lamar, Mike W., Hans, and Mike H. - everything was so beautiful! Thanks to all who brought the luscious goodies for lunch and to Lamar for the grilled swordfish - it was soooooo good. Thanks to those who brought auction plants; I spent more than I sold but got some that have been on my list for a long time. It was good to see and talk with those who attended; finally met Bren after all these years.

Steve took a few pictures at Mike W's that I'll post. Mike, please help with the IDs.

DSC_0222.JPG
DSC_0223.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0234.JPG
    DSC_0234.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 133
Here is the plant that stumped the experts. Some thought it might be a spectacular William Craig but finally Johnny Shelton identified it as Cover Girl. No wonder the plant at auction was so popular.
DSC_0228.JPG

More pics from Mike W's...

The first of attendees looking at all of the beauties.

Attachments

• DSC_0247.JPG
    DSC_0247.JPG
    315.8 KB · Views: 132
More crotons...

Attachments

• DSC_0231.JPG
    DSC_0231.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC_0235.JPG
    DSC_0235.JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC_0234.JPG
    DSC_0234.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 141
What a fun day! Thanks to our hosts Lamar, Mike W., Hans, and Mike H. - everything was so beautiful! Thanks to all who brought the luscious goodies for lunch and to Lamar for the grilled swordfish - it was soooooo good. Thanks to those who brought auction plants; I spent more than I sold but got some that have been on my list for a long time. It was good to see and talk with those who attended; finally met Bren after all these years.

Steve took a few pictures at Mike W's that I'll post. Mike, please help with the IDs.

View attachment 29224 View attachment 29225

Thanks Marie,I will try to ID what I can.

1st post Sturrocks Pink.then Rudy Bachmann,the last one is a sport than Lamar found on a General Paggett
2nd post Babette,Thai hybrid ,and another pic of the Gen Pagett sport
3rd set I picked this one up as Ethel Craig but I am not sure now and the last green and white is unknown to me.I thought it might have been one of the Davis plants but it looks a little different??

ID correction the large green/yellow pictures I got from the tennis club. It is Green and Yellow not a Padgett sport. I will post pic. Later

What a wonderful day............perfect weather, incredible lunch, amazing plants, and best of all so many great people who all share a love of crotons. Many thanks to Mike W., Lamar S., Mike H., and Hans for allowing us to tour their gardens. I enjoyed putting faces to names that I have become familiar with through this forum like Anna, Bren, Johnny, David, Tim, etc., etc.. Everyone was very generous with their talents on the luncheon also and we were able to sample some fine fare.................fresh swordfish grilled to perfection by Lamar, various interesting pies including key lime, passion fruit, pecan, and a mixed berry and tropical fruit from Bruce that got my attention. Everything was perfect and I look forward to the next one. Thanks to all of your efforts in organizing a great day and to Mike W for being our auctioneer extrodinare. Marnie

Here's some pics from yesterday's extravaganza. First set is at Hans Reiter's place

Attachments

• DSCN5733.JPG
    DSCN5733.JPG
    303.1 KB · Views: 174
  • DSCN5734.JPG
    DSCN5734.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCN5735.JPG
    DSCN5735.JPG
    267.9 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCN5736.JPG
    DSCN5736.JPG
    297.4 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCN5737.JPG
    DSCN5737.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCN5738.JPG
    DSCN5738.JPG
    275.6 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCN5739.JPG
    DSCN5739.JPG
    310.6 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCN5740.JPG
    DSCN5740.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 167
...and now some from the auction at Mike Harris's estate. Forgot to take any at Bullwinkle's (Mike Woolery's) new place which was verrry impressive

Attachments

• DSCN5741.JPG
    DSCN5741.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 149
  • DSCN5742.JPG
    DSCN5742.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCN5743.JPG
    DSCN5743.JPG
    300.6 KB · Views: 166
  • DSCN5748.JPG
    DSCN5748.JPG
    258.2 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCN5749.JPG
    DSCN5749.JPG
    268.4 KB · Views: 175
Yesterday was a magnificent day!! Awesome hosts,awesome gardens, awesome number of high quality crotons!! Mike did a great job as auctioneer! I loved the grilled swordfish,as well as all the other good eats! Had a great time with all the other croton enthusiasts! And came home with some great plants! Thanks again! Jim and Judy

Thanks to all who organized this event. Plantation is a great place to grow crotons. Mike, keep collecting and someday you will have a place like the great John Bender.

What more can I say but to echo all of the above. I was so impressed with everyone's places! Just heaven to go from beautiful garden to beautiful garden on a beautiful day. The auction was superb. It was great seeing all of you, who by now I consider friends, and meeting a few new people who I had been hoping to meet someday. Great day overall, and very worth the trip down. Thanks, Mike and Lamar for organizing such a wonderful event!

Hey, now that I've seen what gorgeous plants Lamar, Mike W. and Mike H. have, you are on the spot for posting beaucoup photos of those gems so we can put them in the wiki. No excuses! Please?

Last edited:
What more can I say but to echo all of the above. I was so impressed with everyone's places! Just heaven to go from beautiful garden to beautiful garden on a beautiful day. The auction was superb. It was great seeing all of you, who by now I consider friends, and meeting a few new people who I had been hoping to meet someday. Great day overall, and very worth the trip down. Thanks, Mike and Lamar for organizing such a wonderful event!

Hey, now that I've seen what gorgeous plants Lamar, Mike W. and Mike H. have, you are on the spot for posting beaucoup photos of those gems so we can put them in the wiki. No excuses! Please?

Agreed Ana.I put one up today for you as promised.I will try and get a few more up this week.I will take a few pics of Cover Girl tonight.

I had no clue what it would be like at one of the events like this , But its hard to put it into words how much i enjoyed it . I will make sure i never miss a single event ever again . Lamar , Mike And Mike a special thanks to all the hard work organizing the event . It was nice to meet all the Croton friends from online in person . Thanks again to all ......

Although I got there very late in the afternoon, racing back from down in Miami all day, I heard a lot of feedback from talking to several people and heard how much fun everyone had. Thanks to Mike for organizing this wayyyyyyy back when and to the host of all the gardens. The selection of crotons from what I saw was superb! A lot of great growers out there.

Anna I plan on posting some photos of some plants that are not in Wiki soon. Stan Woods brought a beautiful 'White Kentucky' that I won