Wodyetia x Veitchia 'Foxy Lady'

i have one of these in a two gallon! are they slow growing? i tried to give it to my palm loving neighbor/ mentor but he said it was too good to give away

These palms are very fast growers. Some are variegated. However the white variegation is some of the easiest to burn variegation there is. Even in mostly shade my variegated ones look a little "ragged." I wish I had the un-variegated ones. Those are beautiful palms and some of the fastest palms I have.

Here are mine, planted a few months ago as 26' specimans. The one towards the street is showing quite a bit of variegation.

Attachments

• 2014-09-24_18.44.55.jpg
    2014-09-24_18.44.55.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 300
Do these reproduce from seed? Or is every one of them sold started from a guy on a ladder passing pollen from one Foxtail to a Veitch?

Has anybody ever done a study of what palms can be crossed? If a Foxtail can be crossed with Veltchia..How about Syagrus? An even hardier cross if possible. Veltchia with Archontophoenix,etc. Just wondering.

Do these reproduce from seed? Or is every one of them sold started from a guy on a ladder passing pollen from one Foxtail to a Veitch?
Stan,

As I understand the history of this cross, it was a natural occurance in a botanical garden in Florida (I believe). The two palms were planted close together so that one was taller than the other - resulting in pollen falling on the plant below. Then an observant gardener noticed differences, and bam - a new hybrid - and the parents were obvious. As I also understand, the cross can work both ways, with the "mother" and "father" being different.

I can't tell you about the possibilities of all the potential crosses, but I bet there are more out there than suspected.

I have one growing at warp speed (6 feet tall now) way up north here. I love these and am impressed with their adaptability. Last year at this time is was barely three feet tall.

This is one of my three fastest growing palms, with Hyophorbe indica and a Dypsis hybrid (D. madagascariensisis x lutescens) joining the trio. Have you tried Hyophorbe indica up there? My climate is not "tropical" were I am, and I hear they are growing them in SoCal.

Last edited:
Ah,the Spindle didn't make it? That's one I seriously wanted to try in spring. I had a poster on another forum say he grew it potted in Hayward...but it did look a bit worn in winter.

i have one of these in a two gallon! are they slow growing? i tried to give it to my palm loving neighbor/ mentor but he said it was too good to give away

from everything i've read and seen they're incredibly fast but i bought 2 bareroot seedlings about 11 months ago and they literally put out 1 frond each for the first 9 months. these past 2 month i've had 2 fronds open from one plant and another looks to be shooting a new frond out as well but that frond looks real short and growing within because of sun exposure. they're still strap leaf seedlings and was put directly in all day full sun and have seen 100°F and high 90's during the 3 heatwaves this year without any burn. even though there's no burn there is some bleeching on the leaves but the one that's really starting to kick into gear is throwing out nice green leaves. I'm going to say they just needed some time for the roots to reestablish themselves and to the environment.

the faster seedling is turning out to be variegated, I'm not sure if that's a good thing for me though since i was going to put it in a full sun location

Stan,

As I understand the history of this cross, it was a natural occurance in a botanical garden in Florida (I believe). The two palms were planted close together so that one was taller than the other - resulting in pollen falling on the plant below. Then an observant gardener noticed differences, and bam - a new hybrid - and the parents were obvious. As I also understand, the cross can work both ways, with the "mother" and "father" being different.

I can't tell you about the possibilities of all the potential crosses, but I bet there are more out there than suspected.

Dean, actually it was an accidental cross noticed and named by Rich Trapnell in Australia.