General MacArthur

annafl

Esteemed Member
I love the bright, beautiful colors this croton delivers. However, I've had my plant about a year, a year and a half, and it remains leggy and wimpy. It puts out leaves at the top, but doesn't bring any more leads. It's only got a few rounds of leaves at the top so I hate to air layer it. I think it would weaken it big time.

Could you all tell me if General MacArthur is wimpy by nature, or do I need to be more patient for a lead to break from down below? It gets plenty of filtered sun and is in a pretty prime spot. Do I need to get another plant?

I just put an airlayer on saturday.I would expect our first cold front in around 60 days or so so you should be fine.It is a little late but I am sure you will be fine.Last winter was so warm warm my plants were growing like crazy in January.

Ok. Thanks Mike and Randy. I think I will bite the bullet and airlayer the top off, hope the bottom will sprout at least two strong growing leads. Do you think it's too late in the season to put an air layer on?

I love the bright, beautiful colors this croton delivers. However, I've had my plant about a year, a year and a half, and it remains leggy and wimpy. It puts out leaves at the top, but doesn't bring any more leads. It's only got a few rounds of leaves at the top so I hate to air layer it. I think it would weaken it big time.

Could you all tell me if General MacArthur is wimpy by nature, or do I need to be more patient for a lead to break from down below? It gets plenty of filtered sun and is in a pretty prime spot. Do I need to get another plant?
If you don't want to airlayer pinch this plant at every terminal point and fertlize heavy. Repeat in six month, you can double crown in no time