Black leaves with pink spots…

Pix

08/04/14
I promised to somebody to find a name of the croton with very dark leaves and pink spots on them…and I am not sure where to start… Can you help me with your suggestions, please?

There is no picture. The guy who I want to help runs a small nursery and wants to get this croton but doesn't remember its name. He had it some time ago.
I will take a look at Phillip Geduldig thank you:)
The croton shouldn't be very rare, I think…and should be found in Central Florida…

Native Son, thank you for your advice on tools in another thread. I returned my new Milwaukee Sawzall because it was too heavy for me and bought something less powerful but smaller and lighter from Chicago Electric. I wish I had the right tools a year ago when I started removing large bushes…

Pix, Leopardia is dark with pink spots, no picture in the Wiki I will post mine tomorrow. It could have another name that I don't know.

Gooood Morning Croton Worldddd!!!!!! Second pic. A volunteer seedling from this area. If you like you can call Pixie.
image.jpg
image.jpg
they posted seedling first Leopardia second.

Thank you, guys. I am in and out, I am sorry. Having a war where my mother is …isn’t helpful.

I wish I had a list of purples with pink spots…

And yes, I want to call one “Pixie”! How can I put my hands on it??

I will put a tag on it and in short order I will make one for you. Our daughter lives in South Tampa we visit regularly just give me a few months.

Pix I will take a cutting and start the process. Now into the mist house for a while I will keep you posted.
image.jpg

Thank you so much, Lamar! It is sooo nice of you… I am taking this sweet Pixie picture as my forum face:)

Does anyone know what these two are?
N1.JPG N2.JPG

Will what do you know, I have had Laffeyette for years. I have never heard anyone mention that name. I loaded the new junk and can't load pics!!!!!

I have had this for years, just thought it was a dark stoplight. New Apple junk will not let me take photo

Will what do you know, apple is killing me. €><#€¥+*^%}{,,?<>>%%% that was a string of nasty words.

Second one looks like a blacked out Irene kingsley. the heavy midribs on the fingers are the giveaway. Plant it in more light and it should color up

Pix. This pic is for you. The cutting has grown nice roots, PIXIE is well on the way. How far are you from Longfellow in south Tampa?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Oh, thank you Lamar! I am so sorry, I had my family (with 3 years old) visiting from Europe and I was completely out of everything garden related :(. I am within half an hour of Longfellow Ave in South Tampa. And if you hold to it a little longer, I plan to participate in something on the East Coast (whatever it will be) in the beginning of next year.

Not a problem, I was planning to keep it thru the winter. Just wanted to let you know we had success with the cutting.
image.jpg
I think it might mature into a nice little plant. It has extensions on the tips with twists and leaflets.

PIXIE 14 months and poppin.

WOW! Is it 14 month already?? Thanks again sooo much, Lamar!
Look, isn't this something :)?
IMG_0895.JPG

Last edited:
Here are my cuttings. They came out of the plastic bag where they were sitting for 6 (or more) weeks alive and rooted...but I have no clue what to do with them next. I usually kill my cuttings with fungus and fungus gnats:(... I wish we would have a sub-forum on general gardening...
Three of these should become dark with pink spots. If they survive, of course.
IMG_0933.JPG

Some of the CrotonHeads should chime in. But my recommendation when you have touchy cuttings that are susceptible to fungus is to find a broad spectrum fungicide that you can soil drench. Then that way it is easy, when in small pots) to just quickly put the dosage into a watering can and dose the whole plant, soil and all.

I have heard the CrotonHeads mention the Bayer 3 in 1 before - and I think that has a fungicide. Maybe Daconil - but not sure. But at any rate, it would help with scale and other leaf fungus as well. And it is usually available at the Big Box Stores.

But perhaps others have a better recommendation.

Thank you, Dean:). The fungus is in the soil. It is mold. I already figured out that I have to use a sterile potting mix and not keep it open in my garage for months. However even with fresh medium I am always getting fungus in my house plants. Then all of the sudden the house is full of fungus gnats. I tend to over-water, and I use a soil with a lot of organic matter. I had to learned to leave my house plants alone, but I feel that the freshly rooted cuttings need more water and cannot be dried out. Is it so? May be I should use a different medium?

There are tons of other gardening forums around.

It’s easy to search.

…Cinnamon powder, chamomile tea…

I almost lost my dill and rucola (arugula) seedlings due to the fungus gnats again but thanks to Google it didn’t happen.

…and to get rid of snails it is enough to water heavily and slightly sprinkle with salt…

…People on this forum are just not interested to talk general gardening…