Fall croton tour in Plantation

Bullwinkle

Esteemed Member
17/11/10
It has been a while since we had a tour so it would be great to get one going.Lamar and I have been trying to put something together and we think that we have a good day planned.The dates that we have blocked are
Saturday Oct 25 or the following Saturday Nov 1.We have no preference so any day that has the least conflicts will be fine.We are thinking of 3-4 gardens,first will be arrival at Lamar's house around 10am then heading over to my house around 11am.Upon arrival at my house we will walk around over to a garden that most of you will not have seen.It is a great garden that was featured in the second Frank Brown book with many of the crotons still in the same location as pictured in the book.Amazingly this garden is only 6 houses away from my house.
Then we will walk back to my house for lunch and the auction.Mike Harris has also offered his spectacular garden for a tour following my house.For those who have not seen Mike's garden it is spectacular with hundreds of crotons and even more palms and cycads.I am guessing we will leave my house around 2pm to head to Mike's.It really should be a great day.

Looking more and more like Oct 25.The other weekend has at least 4 no shows so far and only one no show for Oct 25.Would still like to have some more input,is anyone else likely to come??

I just got confirmation yesterday of the dates for a new event that Montgomery and FNGLA are planning. On Oct 25-26 they are sponsoring a major plant sale at Montgomery to which plant societies are being invited as vendors. I don't know which societies are participating but a lot of the Croton Forum members are part of the South Fla. Palm Society and/or Tropical Fern & Exotic Plant Society and may be buying/selling at this event. I don't have anything in writing yet; this was from a phone conversation. I'll post more as I learn more.

Thanks Marie,it is always tough to find the "right" weekend,there is also the Fairchild ramble the second weekend in November and then Thanskgiving etc.Once you confirm please let us know but we will just have to choose the weekend that has the least amount of conflicts.We are still in planning mode so we have flexibility.

I just got confirmation yesterday of the dates for a new event that Montgomery and FNGLA are planning. On Oct 25-26 they are sponsoring a major plant sale at Montgomery to which plant societies are being invited as vendors. I don't know which societies are participating but a lot of the Croton Forum members are part of the South Fla. Palm Society and/or Tropical Fern & Exotic Plant Society and may be buying/selling at this event. I don't have anything in writing yet; this was from a phone conversation. I'll post more as I learn more.

Phil,we have sales/events everywhere. Jeff's sale is the first two weekends of Oct then the Montgomery palm/plant sale that Marie has now confirmed for Oct 25-26 and the Fairchild Ramble the week of Nov 8.Jeff and Marie will probably be at both sales previously mentioned along with Moose so we are dancing between the Fall sales.Once we get too far into Nov we start to get close to the holiday season.

or if the two suggested dates are no good for half of us, how about Saturday 8-November? or does this conflict with a sale or other event?

October 18th????

Travelling that weekend :(

Unfortunately the Montgomery plant sale might have forced our hand it is looking more like Nov 1,hopefully the conflicts can be worked around,It is pretty much impossible to get a week that everyone can attend.I already have two people who told me that they could not come Nov 1 now say they will work around it and find a way to attend.

Thanks so much for organizing the Fall Croton tour! Having missed a few tours, I'm chomping at the bit to attend another. Nov 1 is great for me.

Reading through this thread and learning about the different plant sales, etc., and thinking it would be good to have a central area here to post upcoming plant society sales/events. I learned about the recent Tropical Plant and Fern Society (I think) event at Fairchild on this forum, which I wouldn't have otherwise known about. I don't know what the Montgomery Palm and/or Ramble is all about - so I'll research that for sure! Is it possible to set up a special thread at the top of the site for Upcoming Plant Sales/Events?

November 1st is good for Gerry & I. Thank you for putting such a great day together for us. Looking forward to it. Wonderful idea to have a special thread for upcoming plant sales/events. Is it possible? Marnie

It has been a while since we had a tour so it would be great to get one going.Lamar and I have been trying to put something together and we think that we have a good day planned.The dates that we have blocked are
Saturday Oct 25 or the following Saturday Nov 1.We have no preference so any day that has the least conflicts will be fine.We are thinking of 3-4 gardens,first will be arrival at Lamar's house around 10am then heading over to my house around 11am.Upon arrival at my house we will walk around over to a garden that most of you will not have seen.It is a great garden that was featured in the second Frank Brown book with many of the crotons still in the same location as pictured in the book.Amazingly this garden is only 6 houses away from my house.
Then we will walk back to my house for lunch and the auction.Mike Harris has also offered his spectacular garden for a tour following my house.For those who have not seen Mike's garden it is spectacular with hundreds of crotons and even more palms and cycads.I am guessing we will leave my house around 2pm to head to Mike's.It really should be a great day.

Mike, seriously do you think the multitudes can all get fed plus an auction in 2 hours. Even if you limited the auction to only 3 plants per person - :eek:

lighttower2.jpg
Lights 1.jpg
light ultimate.JPG
LightTower.jpg

Perhaps Mike can pull these out of his barn and stock up on some diesel. :rolleyes:

I totally agree with Ron! Two gardens plus the food and auction makes for a nice day. Besides, if we have now 4 gardens mention, and we haven't had an auction forever, why couldn't this be broken up into two tours. There's no way possible to visit 4 gardens, eat and then have an auction. AND....this would not be fair to Mike as his garden would be last on the tour, probably a fair amount of people would be dropping out to go home. This event needs to be more well organized and a little more thought into it. The 1st of November looks good to Andrea and I. Just saying.....

Jeff we are still in planning stages,Mike had also offered up his garden to anyone who had not been there before (it has been 3 years since we had a tour there and I am sure that anyone who does not want to go to Mike's can head home).Let us see how things develop??We may end up with two or three ,many things can change over 2 months !! It is better to have choices, If you remember the last time we tried this we had gardens offered up and then all gardens cancelled.The date is pretty much set but we have over 2 months to go so let us see what happens.I will start a new thread in a few weeks with all the final details.

I totally agree with Ron! Two gardens plus the food and auction makes for a nice day. Besides, if we have now 4 gardens mention, and we haven't had an auction forever, why couldn't this be broken up into two tours. There's no way possible to visit 4 gardens, eat and then have an auction. AND....this would not be fair to Mike as his garden would be last on the tour, probably a fair amount of people would be dropping out to go home. This event needs to be more well organized and a little more thought into it. The 1st of November looks good to Andrea and I. Just saying.....

Last edited:
I respectfully agree with the above. I live far away, and coming back is a 3-4 hour trip that I will not start late in the afternoon. I so badly want to see ALL the gardens. I've been wanting to see Mike Harris's garden but I would not be able to go if it were after the auction. If the third garden is only six houses away from Mike Woolery, that might work well since anyone could spend a few minutes or an hour and leave when they felt they needed to. No matter how casual, having people come to your garden for 'a tour' means hours of picking up, maybe a little pruning or mulching. It is not fair for those people not to get the fresh crowd that justifies the preparation. I think it would be nice to divvy it up into two tours that are a bit more relaxed/fun.

Hey guys I want to add my two cents. Mike worked on getting another tour together early and the sights bailed and it fell thru. What we are trying to do here is let you know this is a done deal. You can have options on how long you want to extend your day. Start at our home if you wish 9:45/10:00 till? Go to Mikes and work thru the rest of your day as best fits your time line. I personally have never been on a visit or tour that failed to give me great day. Miami is open that weekend, Florida will probably loss to Vanderbilt, F.S.U who cares.

Lamar, you are so right. You've been very generous to offer your gardens to all of us. Everyone has their restrictions and I'm sure you're going crazy trying to please everyone. I am just grateful to get to see your gardens and everyone, and I will definitely go by what you all decide and plan. Thanks to you and Mike for planning this, and yes, I'm sure we'll all have a great time as usual.

November 1st is good for Gerry & I. Thank you for putting such a great day together for us. Looking forward to it. Wonderful idea to have a special thread for upcoming plant sales/events. Is it possible? Marnie
This is a great idea I always seem to read about a great show that happened on the west coast

Well......I just learned today that the South Florida Palm Society has just announced the dates for their sale at FTG. And it's the first weekend of November. Yep. So.....as much as I was looking forward to joining everyone and go garden hoping for the day, I think I will be forced to choose and as most of all of you know, my first love is of palms. And.....a chance to make a little money. So I hope you all take lots of pictures, and go home with lots of great crotons.

That's a shame Jeff,too many plant sales over a very short period of time.Montgomery,then the Palm society then then Fairchild Ramble then Palm beach etc.We are on track for a really great meeting for Nov 1 with quite a few newbies on board.Maybe I will head to Fairchild for the palm show on the Sunday after our meeting ??I will do my best to stand in as auctioneer ,the last time I stood in it was a lot of fun :)

Do we have a lot of attendees bringing plants for auction? I ask because I would be making a 3 hr plus trip morn after Halloween (late night) with the main goal of buying a lot of plants. You mentioned a bunch of new people attending which is fantastic!

Do we have a lot of attendees bringing plants for auction? I ask because I would be making a 3 hr plus trip morn after Halloween (late night) with the main goal of buying a lot of plants. You mentioned a bunch of new people attending which is fantastic!

Are we going to have a limit on plants brought for auction? Somewhere between 5-10 for the auction & maybe a sale area.

Last time the limit was 10 plants each, Jerry was excluded from this limit ,Jerry's limit is 100 plants :)
I think that worked out just fine.Do not worry Bren there will be lots of great plants on offer.I will start a new thread with all the final details by month end.