What should this one's name be?

annafl

Esteemed Member
This is a gorgeous croton. Quite a few people on this forum have it, so it's been distributed. I think Ray was the one to find it and was told by Bob Alonzo that maybe it was an Aubrey Christian hybrid, but he didn't know the name. I've seen it referred to as 'The Finest Unknown'. I'd love to put it in the wiki, but don't know what to call it. What do you say?

Attachments

• IMG_0441.jpg
    IMG_0441.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1074.jpg
    IMG_1074.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 70
Keith (along with Ray) brought me a rooted cutting of this croton the last time they visited. It was what Ray called it so the tag remains: "The Finest Unknown". I may recall that Ray said he found this plant many years ago growing in St. Pete or Tampa. The historical name is still unknown, if there ever was one. Ray is a purist for historical names and is reluctant to name it. Its a really eye catching plant that I feel its about time that he name it after his wife or daughter - of course with its history as a foot note.

Just my opinion.

These are Ray's photos that he posted on the forum years ago. I wonder what the plant is doing now? I got a small one from Keith recently. It just had its very first flush and I love it. It will take years before it looks like that, though. Fortunately, I'm a patient soul.:GardenLoveI wish it had a name. Next time we see Ray maybe we should prod him?

ray should give it a name for sure. it would allow everyone to know they were talking about the same plant. if the guys who figure these things out come up with the historical name, it can be changed. great looking plant.

This is a gorgeous croton. Quite a few people on this forum have it, so it's been distributed. I think Ray was the one to find it and was told by Bob Alonzo that maybe it was an Aubrey Christian hybrid, but he didn't know the name. I've seen it referred to as 'The Finest Unknown'. I'd love to put it in the wiki, but don't know what to call it. What do you say?
Is this the SAME ? 2 pics of the same plant , it is quite old maybe 25 years in a planter
076.JPG
005.JPG

Looks the same to me Dave, they go thru color changes as they age. That said it will fire out great branches as well.

All of the above pics look like well-grown Stoplights to me. Mine change color throughout the year starting with the orangy pinks on some in spring and changing to the crimson reds and then to darker reds.