Mystery Croton

Perry Edge

06/07/09
mystery croton.JPG
Found in a yard in St. Petersburg. Any ideas as to what it is?

Kurt - comparing what I have here as a Daisy Ortegas, I don't see that in Perry's find. Daisy seems to have elongated leaves compared to Perry's plant. Plus on the older leaves you see intense veining and they look rather rigid. Some of the older leaves on Perry's plant reminds me some what like a Thomas Edison. However, upon checking on my Thomas Edison this morning, Thomas Edison has a more pointed leaf and is not as ovate as Perry's cultivar. Who knows, just my opinion - I agree it needs to grow out.

Hopefully Perry will give us updates over time. Personally, I think he may have located a unique croton. :confused:

Kurt - comparing what I have here as a Daisy Ortegas, I don't see that in Perry's find. Daisy seems to have elongated leaves compared to Perry's plant. Plus on the older leaves you see intense veining and they look rather rigid. Some of the older leaves on Perry's plant reminds me some what like a Thomas Edison. However, upon checking on my Thomas Edison this morning, Thomas Edison has a more pointed leaf and is not as ovate as Perry's cultivar. Who knows, just my opinion - I agree it needs to grow out.

Hopefully Perry will give us updates over time. Personally, I think he may have located a unique croton. :confused:
The rest of the plant was lousy deep, deep purple. Totally bland. Possibly a bad Gloriosa. This is definitely a sport. I think it is unstable, based upon a cutting I rooted some time ago. Only time will tell what it is going to be, if it stabilizes...

daisy is one of those well known names (finished would be another one) but almost completely unknown plants. the confusion with WC in the book has a lot to do with it. bender had DO, he gave me a cutting, very similar. there is still a big on on 9th ave, exact match to bender's plant. grow it out. time will

daisy is one of those well known names (finished would be another one) but almost completely unknown plants. the confusion with WC in the book has a lot to do with it. bender had DO, he gave me a cutting, very similar. there is still a big on on 9th ave, exact match to bender's plant. grow it out. time will
I looked at the photos for Daisy on the Wiki, and there is a slight resemblance to Marie's photo. We need more photos of other people's Daisy, though, both for the Wiki and for comparison to my mystery one. Any volunteers? Moose?
I'll do my best to connect with Bob Alonzo, to get his opinion

I looked at the photos for Daisy on the Wiki, and there is a slight resemblance to Marie's photo. We need more photos of other people's Daisy, though, both for the Wiki and for comparison to my mystery one. Any volunteers? Moose?
I'll do my best to connect with Bob Alonzo, to get his opinion

Perry - here are a couple of latest shots (same plant) of what I have as Daisy Ortegas.

Daisy Ortegas (1).jpg
Daisy Ortegas.JPG

Thanks, Moose. After looking at your photos, there is something in common with both crotons, yet some variance as well, such as the splashes of orange and the somewhat different leaf shape. Hmmm...If you have not already done so, please send your photos to Anna for the Wiki. Thanks