The Use Of Ti In The Landscape

It doesn't look like you've worn it often enough. Of at least not while gardening. :)

That was one of my very first designs. I know I could do a much better job today. And the printer has improved their techniques a lot as well. When I get some time soon I am going to try some new designs and pick up business a bit. Business is pitiful - not even one a month. I think I made $10 last year. :(

But with some new designs and a little "push," maybe I can get some more customers.

Thanks for the pic. :)

WideEyed
It doesn't look like you've worn it often enough. Of at least not while gardening. :)

That was one of my very first designs. I know I could do a much better job today. And the printer has improved their techniques a lot as well. When I get some time soon I am going to try some new designs and pick up business a bit. Business is pitiful - not even one a month. I think I made $10 last year. :(

But with some new designs and a little "push," maybe I can get some more customers.

Thanks for the pic. :)
Dean, Wear it Gardening WideEyed, it is my favorite T and one of those shirts for special occasions.

Here is a plant that was gifted to me as Princess Kyla that looks very much like P. Leisha. The leaf is not as wide as P. Leisha and seem to be a little longer.View attachment 26562
I had not seen any Princess Leisha that looked like that but maybe they vary. Electra might be another sport off P. Leisha. Miss Andrea will probably end up throwing more sports as will her mutated children. That will be great.

starr-090623-1413.jpg starr-070308-5316.jpg starr-070515-7057.jpg starr-070111-3091.jpg starr-090730-3450.jpg starr-110330-4101.jpg
Here are photos (courtesy of Forest and Kim Starr) of the Ti used in landscapes around Hawaii.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pix
starr-090617-0937.jpg
And here is one more from Hawaii. If I could get a hold of a few used surfboards I would also have a surfboard fence with Ti.:digger1

That seems to be the common theme in different locations - where one cultivar dominates the scenery. In Bali, one is so common it is called Bali Red - but it is something else and didn't originate in Bali.

But it's only logical as one type becomes more used, it is cut and reused on and on. It's a shame more of the many varieties don't find themselves out and about. But I assume it's that why for crotons as well. In Florida, where many varieties were passed around, there are many - and few Ti Plants - and just the opposite here in Hawaii.

That seems to be the common theme in different locations - where one cultivar dominates the scenery. In Bali, one is so common it is called Bali Red - but it is something else and didn't originate in Bali.

But it's only logical as one type becomes more used, it is cut and reused on and on. It's a shame more of the many varieties don't find themselves out and about. But I assume it's that why for crotons as well. In Florida, where many varieties were passed around, there are many - and few Ti Plants - and just the opposite here in Hawaii.

I was cleaning up an overgrown area a couple of days ago and found a gallon can of Bali Red surviving under all the growth. I had forgotten that I even had it. A few years ago I was in Bali and saw this cultivar used everywhere. It is very vibrant. As far as other ti varieties, I don't remember seeing hardly any there.

Red Sister is the most common Ti around these parts and every garden center always have plenty on hand to sell. Red Sister was my starting point with Ti plants so I will not bash it to bad. Many other varieties perform much better than Red Sister, but the average gardener has no idea of what is really out there.

Pix, Great picture showing the use of Ti in a mixed color bed planting. Ti plants go very well with Crotons and wished it was used more as such.

I have just arrived back from Hawaii a couple of days ago. The raccoons have done a number on my small one gallon pots of croton and ti. They were ripped out of their pots and the soil was all knocked off as the animals looked for grubs or worms to eat. I have repotted most of them, but have lost all the labels. I don't know which ones go with what plant since at their young stage most don't have distinctive color. I'm sure the raccoons will be back and I don't know how to stop their nightly destruction. I have tried hot pepper flakes, but it didn't seem to do much to calm them down. Years ago I had the same problems with raccoons and skunks and had to get an animal control company out to trap them. Does anyone have any ideas on ways to discourage their foraging in ones yard?

Ken, Sorry to hear of the damage to your plants. I wish I could give you some tips to stop the problem, but I have not had to deal with that one. I have only noted a few raccoons in the yard over the years here and my Dachshund's take care of them.

Scott, there is a beautiful pink Angel’s Trumpet in your post #19. Is this one that I got from you?? I've just moved it (after establishing in the shade of Majesty palm) into a very bright central spot where I will always see it…

Scott, there is a beautiful pink Angel’s Trumpet in your post #19. Is this one that I got from you?? I've just moved it (after establishing in the shade of Majesty palm) into a very bright central spot where I will always see it…
Pix, Your plant was a cutting from that same plant. If you ever need more just let me know.

Thank you :) It is doing well and spreading:). It is going to have a Rubber tree underneath:rolleyes:...on one side...and the Star Jasmine on another:rolleyes:

I have just arrived back from Hawaii a couple of days ago. The raccoons have done a number on my small one gallon pots of croton and ti. They were ripped out of their pots and the soil was all knocked off as the animals looked for grubs or worms to eat. I have repotted most of them, but have lost all the labels. I don't know which ones go with what plant since at their young stage most don't have distinctive color. I'm sure the raccoons will be back and I don't know how to stop their nightly destruction. I have tried hot pepper flakes, but it didn't seem to do much to calm them down. Years ago I had the same problems with raccoons and skunks and had to get an animal control company out to trap them. Does anyone have any ideas on ways to discourage their foraging in ones yard?

Ken - just a suggestion - not sure if it would work.

Pick up a large container of Red Cayenne Pepper powder from Costco and sprinkle it around the area. I think it is more effective than flakes. When the critters start sniffing around, they could be in for a surprise. I have tried it to discourage pigs over here, since they have such a sensitive nose. I also have noticed that the plants where I have spread Merit around seem to be bothered less. Anything weird smelling might help discourage them.

But I have noticed that fish emulsion and blood meal do the opposite.

We are interested. Especially after he said that Ti plants will recover when my beloved crotons will die

We are interested. Especially after he said that Ti plants will recover when my beloved crotons will die
Pix, In general you may be a couple of degrees warmer than me on those cold nights. From what I remember you have most planted along your front entrance that has a south east exposure. SE exposure is good for Crotons in the winter. Also tree canopy can help if it is not trimmed up to high. If they call for a frost or freeze just cover them. I lost many Crotons a few winters ago, replaced some in a more protected location and one day I will find out if I did it right the second time around.

Last edited:
Dean cut those Willy's Gold man. I notice not many Hawaiians cut their Ti's to force branching. Why is that? Bad luck?

Miss Andrea looks like something I have from Soledad. Grows great in summer but brown tips and drops old leaves quickly in winter. Because it does branch profusely the snails hide in it and love eating it.

I have a few green and "New Guinea" Ti plants that I have intentionally sprayed with Round Up on a couple of occasions - and they have survived that. So these are indeed tenacious plants if not frozen beyond repair.

And even if you had that killer freeze every ten years or so - you could cut the canes before the freeze, punch a hole and stick 'em in the ground after the danger passes, and by summer you will have nice looking plants again, ready for another ten years of growth.

Reactions: Pix
When using Ti plants in the landscape give me tips on how to induce branching to reduce legginess (see plant in post #2). When I trim them back they seem to get just one terminal bud, or should I just cut some canes and start new cuttings around existing plant for fuller plant?

When using Ti plants in the landscape give me tips on how to induce branching to reduce legginess (see plant in post #2). When I trim them back they seem to get just one terminal bud, or should I just cut some canes and start new cuttings around existing plant for fuller plant?
If the plant becomes to leggy, just cut the cane and insert it into the ground near the cut cane.

i haven't planted anything in the ground yet but from exchanging messages with ScotTi and tropicalken you can cut the plant pretty low and it'll just resprout from the nub. i'm planning on planting in clusters of 3 or 4 like how they come from the big box stores so i can have fuller looking plants and varied heights so i can cut one low and still have 2 that are taller

Kenny, Here is a shot of my Xerox seedlings (seed sown in ground summer 2012) that have grown fast and make a bold statement in the landscape. I have only thinned one plant out of this group of seedlings as it was a smaller Ti. Also included is a picture from 5- 2013 when they were about 10 months old.
Img_7410.jpg
tiseedlingsIMG_1563.jpg

Here is the little runt removed from this seedling group.
Img_7418.jpg

Xerox is my fave. I have not found any nurseries carrying them this year. They were common a couple years back. What gives?

Xerox is my fave. I have not found any nurseries carrying them this year. They were common a couple years back. What gives?
Bren, Xerox is in my opinion the best performing cordyline that can be found in local garden centers. I have also not seen it for sale in recent months. If I had any say in the matter it should be the one to replace all the Red Sisters they sell. If you do not run across any Xerox I always have this one to share. The tall seedlings in the photo all resemble Xerox and have proven to be just as good growers.
Img_6593.jpg
Img_6598.jpg

you inspired me to go find one since i know the local HD has them from time to time. i went and there was about 20 of them, must have gotten a fresh delivery ... they didn't have any other Ti's other than 'Xerox'. There's 5 growing points .... one of them has a pretty thick trunk, 2 other thin ones close together and the other 2 are branched
IMG_7044 (Medium).JPGIMG_7042 (Medium).JPG

i was going to separate one set of the thin ones so i can plant them a bit further apart but the roots are all so tangled i would have to remove all the dirt before separating so i just left it as is ... for now

you inspired me to go find one since i know the local HD has them from time to time. i went and there was about 20 of them, must have gotten a fresh delivery ... they didn't have any other Ti's other than 'Xerox'. There's 5 growing points .... one of them has a pretty thick trunk, 2 other thin ones close together and the other 2 are branched
View attachment 29655View attachment 29654
and it going to flower for you soon. :)

and it going to flower for you soon. :)
yup, hopefully i get some good seeds and i can try germinating. so far it seems like my log cuttings and top cuttings you sent me are doing pretty well. the top cuttings have roots that are about an 1" long and a couple of the logs i cut off have some root tips trying to bust through ... i'll make another post later when the logs are a bit more along but i found ones that had nodes to be so much quicker to root out