The Cordyline fruticosas You Find Challenging in Colder Temps.

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
Gold Edge hates the cooler winter temps here in central Fl. The plant declines, but makes a really good comeback in the heat. Here is Gold Edge today starting its return.
IMG_5121.JPG

We have the same problem with this one in California. It looks really ratty in the cooler months. It is also more sensitive to fertilizer than most. It requires a lighter dose or the leaves will burn at the edges. Another one that really goes downhill in winter is Peter Buck. If it makes it though, it isn't presentable until late summer.

Exotica cordyline.jpg
Exotica cordyline #2.jpg
Exotica also goes downhill severely in the winter and sometimes dies. I've tried it several times but the same thing has happened. Last fall I did buy a cordyline that looked similar to Exotica, but it had hardly any red steaks. It went through the winter fine and all its new growth is pure white. This looks pretty stunning since the leaves are a large juno type.

We have the same problem with this one in California. It looks really ratty in the cooler months. It is also more sensitive to fertilizer than most. It requires a lighter dose or the leaves will burn at the edges. Another one that really goes downhill in winter is Peter Buck. If it makes it though, it isn't presentable until late summer.
I have had a problem with Peter Buck on all accounts. It will grow for a bit and then for no reason that I can see it will decline. I was able to save a bit of the plant that I had purchased, but it is only a few inches tall these days.

I have had a problem with Peter Buck on all accounts. It will grow for a bit and then for no reason that I can see it will decline. I was able to save a bit of the plant that I had purchased, but it is only a few inches tall these days.
Here's a picture from the internet of Peter Buck. It certainly is a beauty. I have been using Johnny Noble as a substitute. It has similar coloring but narrower leaves. It fairs much better during the cooler months.
Peter Buck cordyline.jpg

View attachment 26451 View attachment 26450 Exotica also goes downhill severely in the winter and sometimes dies. I've tried it several times but the same thing has happened. Last fall I did buy a cordyline that looked similar to Exotica, but it had hardly any red steaks. It went through the winter fine and all its new growth is pure white. This looks pretty stunning since the leaves are a large juno type.
I have had Exotica for a long time now and it has never given me any grief in the winter here.

My experience with Tis in SoCal was that I could never get the simple Green Ti to grow for me. And I do remember really liking something called Purple Prince and watched all six of mine slowly decline to death. :( But that's when I learned that shade on the coast is not their friend.

My experience with Tis in SoCal was that I could never get the simple Green Ti to grow for me. And I do remember really liking something called Purple Prince and watched all six of mine slowly decline to death. :( But that's when I learned that shade on the coast is not their friend.
Dean, I also like Purple Prince and have found it challenging to grow. I may have figured it out after a few years now. For me here in FL it looks to like winter sun and summer shade.
Img_5162.jpg

Well it certainly looks healthy now and loaded with seed - something I haven't been able to do with this one yet.
Dean, The photo shows the new growth from this season. The two leaves below seed stalk is what is left from last tears growth after the winter. The few fruit that have ripened are also neat, as the colors are the same color as the leaves.

Last edited:
View attachment 26451 View attachment 26450 Exotica also goes downhill severely in the winter and sometimes dies. I've tried it several times but the same thing has happened. Last fall I did buy a cordyline that looked similar to Exotica, but it had hardly any red steaks. It went through the winter fine and all its new growth is pure white. This looks pretty stunning since the leaves are a large juno type.
Ken, Is the plant you got last fall Tricolor?

Ken, Is the plant you got last fall Tricolor?
Here's the one that looks like Exotica but seems to be a lot hardier. From the picture you can't see the faint red steaks in some of the leaves. It seems that I can't make it big for some reason. When I do I only get part of the picture and you have to scroll to see the other parts. Frustrating!

Attachments

• CIMG3777.JPG
    CIMG3777.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 177
Here is Exotica that shows the same colors and patterns, but the leaf is held more upright.
IMG_5167.JPG

Here's the one that looks like Exotica but seems to be a lot hardier. From the picture you can't see the faint red steaks in some of the leaves. It seems that I can't make it big for some reason. When I do I only get part of the picture and you have to scroll to see the other parts. Frustrating!
Very interesting Ti you have there.

There is a house a mile or so away that has a lot of huge green ti in front. They are probably from the islands since they do not have any colored ti plants.