The Colors of Cordylines (The Ti Plant)

Outstanding color on this Kiwi.
IMG_4852.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the local variety Kiwi. I have them growing side by side in the garden, so growing conditions are the same. Img_4967.jpg

Img_4972.jpg Img_4970.jpg Hawaiian Kiwi seedlings.

Attachments

• Img_4971.jpg
    Img_4971.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 173
Scott, what Kiwi do I have from you???:)
You have a 50 50 shot :D The Hawaiian plant produced a plantlet on the flower stalk, but so did the local Kiwi. I did not label the two when I rooted them.

It seems to have even more red in the older leaves than the original Kiwi. Nice!
Ken, Yes that one is now showing lots of red in the older leaves. I have nicknamed it "Bloody Kiwi" ( a little Aussie humor there) for now. I am pleased with all the seedlings from Kiwi so far. I have finally gotten most of them in the ground and the colors are popping. I did not let my Kiwi's set seed last year, but this year I will go full force with them.

Here is a seedling from Aunti Lou that burst into its first showing of color in the last few weeks.
Img_5044.jpg

Both Kiwi and Auntie Lou are excellent ti plants for gardens in California. They have cold resistance so that they look good even when we have colder winters that make other ti plants shabby looking. Seedlings from these two ti plants would be worth spreading around since chances are many of them would have this same cold resistant gene. Shubertii and Kilauea also have these traits and would be good for breeding new seedlings with cold resistance.

Both Kiwi and Auntie Lou are excellent ti plants for gardens in California. They have cold resistance so that they look good even when we have colder winters that make other ti plants shabby looking. Seedlings from these two ti plants would be worth spreading around since chances are many of them would have this same cold resistant gene. Shubertii and Kilauea also have these traits and would be good for breeding new seedlings with cold resistance.
I wonder if anyone is actively trying to breed any of these apparently hardier Ti Plants. I guess it would be hard to get fertile seed, regularly and quickly, in SoCal. But if people in the tropics knew what plants were hardy, we could try getting more hardy varieties. SoCal gardens would be improved with nice Tis everywhere. :)

I wonder if anyone is actively trying to breed any of these apparently hardier Ti Plants. I guess it would be hard to get fertile seed, regularly and quickly, in SoCal. But if people in the tropics knew what plants were hardy, we could try getting more hardy varieties. SoCal gardens would be improved with nice Tis everywhere. :)
I wish someone would do a few of these hardy ti crosses. Unfortunately few people in Southern California have had any seed set. They bloom, but never seem to set any fruit. Did you ever have any luck with ti seed production when you lived in California? I suppose it could be done if the plants were in a greenhouse setting where high humidity levels could be maintained during and after pollination.

If you or Scott would cross any of these types, and eventually send cane material from the crosses, our group could evaluate them for cold hardiness in their yards. If you think that is something worth doing, I'll ask the group what other varieties do well during our winters so there are more options for crosses. Some other good ones that come to mind are Una Poa, Florida, Iaeka, and Hot Pepper.

Ken, How well do the Hawaiian Boy and Toucan Ti do for you guys out there? I noticed today the ones I posted in the other thread as Xerox seedlings are really Hawaiian Boy seedlings. I get those two confused at times but the name tag on the mother plant is Hawaiin Boy.

Last edited:
Ken,

If I didn't have so much on my plate I would enjoy pursuing a project like that. But it would take a lot of time and patience, and I am spread so thin with my many gardening endeavors. Just keeping track of everything would be a major logistical nightmare. And then they would have to be shipped, planted, and experimented with in SoCal. I think such a project would be worthwhile, and if I still lived in SoCal, I would probably figure out a way to give it a go.

Ken, How well do the Hawaiian Boy and Toucan Ti do for you guys out there? I noticed today the ones I posted in the other thread as Xerox seedlings are really Hawaiian Boy seedlings. I get those two confused at times but the name tag on the mother plant is Hawaiin Boy.
I don't have Hawaiian Boy, but I'll check with our members when I see them. I do have Toucan somewhere in the yard. I'll check tags to find it and see how it faired this winter. It probably did just fine since this past winter was not one to be used to measure cold hardiness. It was the warmest winter I have seen here since I moved to Southern California in the late 60s. We had no cold weather.

Ken,

If I didn't have so much on my plate I would enjoy pursuing a project like that. But it would take a lot of time and patience, and I am spread so thin with my many gardening endeavors. Just keeping track of everything would be a major logistical nightmare. And then they would have to be shipped, planted, and experimented with in SoCal. I think such a project would be worthwhile, and if I still lived in SoCal, I would probably figure out a way to give it a go.
I know the feeling about being spread thin. I thought retirement would give me lots of free time. Not so. You just take on more things to do. At least they are endeavors that one enjoys and you have no one to blame for all of it except yourself.

I don't have Hawaiian Boy, but I'll check with our members when I see them. I do have Toucan somewhere in the yard. I'll check tags to find it and see how it faired this winter. It probably did just fine since this past winter was not one to be used to measure cold hardiness. It was the warmest winter I have seen here since I moved to Southern California in the late 60s. We had no cold weather.
If you are in need of Hawaiian Boy let me know. Hawaiian boy has great color if not in a lot of sun. Half of my large planting is in full sun and the other half is under palm leaf shade. The shaded parts have great color.
Img_5132.jpg

If you are in need of Hawaiian Boy let me know. Hawaiian boy has great color if not in a lot of sun. Half of my large planting is in full sun and the other half is under palm leaf shade. The shaded parts have great color. View attachment 26463
Hawaiian Boy has great color. For some reason I always thought Hawaiian Boy and Graveyard Red were two names for the same plant. I thought it was a maroon red ti. Perhaps others could clear this up for me. I definitely would like a cane of this one.

Hawaiian Boy has great color. For some reason I always thought Hawaiian Boy and Graveyard Red were two names for the same plant. I thought it was a maroon red ti. Perhaps others could clear this up for me. I definitely would like a cane of this one.
Ken, The "Hawaiian Boy" made a appearance in the garden centers quite a few years ago, and then seemed to have vanished.

Ken, I recall reading that Hawaiian Boy is often called Stained Glass in Hawaii at times.

Ken, Here is a very nice seedling from Hawaiian Boy. Keep this one in the back of your mind for now, you will understand later. Let's call it Florida Boy for now.
Img_5199.jpg

I see you found the new emoticons. :MJ:

You reminded me that I have another black ti that I need to plant - and get another pic of . I showed it to you months ago, the the colors weren't right. I'll snap another soon.

I see you found the new emoticons. :MJ:

You reminded me that I have another black ti that I need to plant - and get another pic of . I showed it to you months ago, the the colors weren't right. I'll snap another soon.
I am a dancing baby for the black Ti. :baby: I would had bought the other dozen they had if they had not put them in the full sun and burnt them. I was able to find 2 pots that did not look to bad. They also had Dr Brown but all of them were burned so bad that I could not tell if they were Dr Brown or not.

Img_5420.jpg
Img_5417.jpg

Was able to pick up a few more Dark Knight plants in the last week. I will be adding one to the black garden. I am now thinking of a new color garden using the Dark Knight for contrast in a yellow and green garden. What is your thoughts?