Large Banyan Trees

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
I was "stuck" in town yesterday, waiting for an appointment - so I took out the phone and took a few pics to share. There are two large Banyans in town, and the pics don't really give the feel as to how big they really are.
IMG_1470PT.jpg IMG_1478PT.jpg
In between them is the oldest Christian church in Hawaii. I think it is dated around the time of the Civil war, and framed by some nice Pritchardia.
IMG_1474PT.jpg
And across the street is just a scene looking down the coast. All these are "downtown" Kailua-Kona - what has to classify as a quaint coastal town.
IMG_1479PT.jpg

The first has the typical F.benghalensis look...the second has our (what also grows huge in the bay area) F.macrophylla look when grown in the tropics. Open,and deep fluted base to the trunk.

I like Spam!..fried for breakfast or as my mom used to do..baked with pineapple and brown sugar. Good eating!

Moose- you are probably right, but back in those days it was usually a margarita or corona washing down kailua pig, poke fish, sashimi, or lomilomi. That place was open air, old fashioned with linoleum floors. Best view in town. It looks like old Kona town hasn't changed much.