How to Propagate Cordylines (Ti plants)

I will be moving this one to a deeper pot.
Img_5060.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott,

By the look of your results I'm guessing you will be using this technique for now on. JawDrop
Dean, For me the results are looking really good and I think the seaweed soak will become normal. I have started to also feed the in ground plants and potted seedlings with liquid seaweed and noticing some good results with it. More on that as time moves on.

Here is a seedling from the self sown Xerox that I found in the middle of the group. I need to pot this one up I think.
Img_5072.jpg

Your Xerox seedlings show a lot of promise. They are definitely keepers.
Ken, My mistake as they are Hawaiian Boy seedlings. I will be working this weekend to thin out the tightly packed plants in the group. As I look beneath the taller plants I see more smaller plants that show promise but need there space.

That sounds like a good number of seeds. Is that the average number you've seen from other berries in previous years?
Ken, On a average from others in the past I would say the berries contain 2-6 seed. I removed seed yesterday from 2 McInery's Spear berries and one contained 2 seed the other 5.

View attachment 25627 Experiment #2 - Fresh Ti seed soaked for 48 hours in seaweed water VS the fresh Ti seed soaked in water. Seed now in soil and the seaweed soaked seed will stay on the liquid seaweed diet. Water soaked seed will stay with water. Lets see what happens here.
Update= The first signs of sprouts were noticed this past weekend. Checked on the two different seed experiments daily. As of today water soaked seeds show 8 little plantlets in the pot/ seaweed water soaked seed nothing.

Update= The first signs of sprouts were noticed this past weekend. Checked on the two different seed experiments daily. As of today water soaked seeds show 8 little plantlets in the pot/ seaweed water soaked seed nothing.
I'm wondering if the seaweed water has more effect than plain water if the seeds are old? Fresh seeds probably don't need anything to stimulate them into germination. Just moisture will do.

I will always use the seaweed moss baggie in the future. I have started about 2 dozen logs this way and have had 100% success. A few of them I have tried in the past a few times without success. This one I was worried about but it made it and now potted up.
Img_5263.jpg

I did not have a lot in SoCal. But I did have a couple of dozen through the years - not all of them surviving. But no, I do not ever recall seeing berries on any of them.
Would brushing pollen between flowering plants, misting the flower stalks, and bagging them to increase humidity, increase chances of berry formation in our dry climate? Maybe I'll give it a try.

Would brushing pollen between flowering plants, misting the flower stalks, and bagging them to increase humidity, increase chances of berry formation in our dry climate? Maybe I'll give it a try.
I'm not sure if it's the dry or the temp. It seems to me that Scott gets way more berries than I do - and we are both nice and humid, but he is much warmer.

Do you guys see lots of flowering on your Ti plants? I have yet to understand what throws them into flowering. In the past I have had them start as early as late July and as late as early November. No two years have been the same. For a interesting read visit this University of Florida site ( edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep447 ). It talks about using gibberellic acid to induce flowering in the Ti as well as other tropical plants.

Do you guys see lots of flowering on your Ti plants? I have yet to understand what throws them into flowering. In the past I have had them start as early as late July and as late as early November. No two years have been the same. For a interesting read visit this University of Florida site ( edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep447 ). It talks about using gibberellic acid to induce flowering in the Ti as well as other tropical plants.
Well there is always Bloom Food. I don't use it, and perhaps that is why I don't get as many flowers as Scott. In fact, now that I think about it, I hardly ever fertilize the Tis with anything. And if they do get anything, it is usually in passing with a handful of my Palm Special in passing - and that is not a bloom/flowering enhancer. I know Jeff Marcus uses Bloom Food on his palms (to produce seed), and they definitely flower sooner and more profusely than "normally" feed palms.

Here the ti plants only seem to flower in Feb./Mar. which is during our cool season. I've never had any set seed . Perhaps using gibberellic acid to get them to flower during warmer periods might make them set seed. On a brighter note, one of our club members says he has berries on his Haleakala. He posted the following picture.
1549359_10202598623791381_5743500159454598274_n.jpg

There is neighbor a mile or so away that has a lot of green ti growing in front of their house. It's been there many years. I also have quite a few of the common green ti. They are all doing OK. I did have a cane die to the soil line last year, but a new one came up and is getting some size on it. Did your green ti die all at once, or was it one cane at a time? There seems to be something here that causes cane death. It can happen at any time of the year, but is more prominent in the cooler months. Often times new canes will spring up from the roots, while other times the whole plant will end up completely dead. If you know anything about this and how to treat it, let me know.

There is neighbor a mile or so away that has a lot of green ti growing in front of their house. It's been there many years. I also have quite a few of the common green ti. They are all doing OK. I did have a cane die to the soil line last year, but a new one came up and is getting some size on it. Did your green ti die all at once, or was it one cane at a time? There seems to be something here that causes cane death. It can happen at any time of the year, but is more prominent in the cooler months. Often times new canes will spring up from the roots, while other times the whole plant will end up completely dead. If you know anything about this and how to treat it, let me know.
I never tried any because a very good grower just down the street from me said he couldn't get them to grow for him. And I never saw any for sale either. So that is the extent of my experience with them there. We were very close to the coast, where it is much cooler, so maybe that is a factor.

As to the sudden death syndrome, I can' t offer any theories - but a guess would be root fungus from cooler soil, and maybe try a preventative fungicide. In other words, don't wait for the symptoms to appear.

I have not tried to grow or have I ever seen the green Ti here in Fl. I have a couple from seed that are close to all green but they do show color on leaf stems

I have not tried to grow or have I ever seen the green Ti here in Fl. I have a couple from seed that are close to all green but they do show color on leaf stems
You probably know - the green ti is big here for wrapping lots of different food in and serving on. Also in ceremonial flower displays on tikis and in heiaus (temples). Also as good luck around the entrances to homes. In other words, they are everywhere, and one of the original "canoe plants."

Here is a little tidbit of advice: Do not try to root logs in water upside down, it will not work. :RakeBash