Dypsis lutescens

I took advantage of the low prices available for a pot of 3-4' tall D. lutescens and planted them on the west side of the house, protected on the west by a fence. They will get partial sun during the day, covered by the house next door by about 3 pm in the hieght of the summer.

I am most curious about the winter, as we get to mid-20s at times (only 27 this year), but there may be enough cover (initially) to stay over 30 this winter, with a little help from algore.

Any thoughts or did I just piss away 10 bucks at CostCo?

In South Florida Dypsis l. is referred to mysteriously as Areca. This Palm is frequently used as a fast growing privacy hedge.It is a thing of beauty and also utilitarian after Hurricanes when a quick growing privacy hedge is in order.

It is ubiquitous here as well using the same name or 'Neanthe Bella'. They are sold primarily as houseplants. I believe many think of them as annuals as inside the lack of light kills them off pretty quickly.

Hey Bepah, I saw your question about lutescens and cold tolerance. I am in an area where the average lows are close to the same. I have seen these palms take the upper twenties briefly (1night) and survive okay. The most exposed leaflets get fried but the plant lives and recovers its nice looks quickly (in plant time).
Do you see many of these growing in yards where you are? I am guessing you're in California. I've often wondered if they are popular outdoors out that way.

Hey Bepah, I saw your question about lutescens and cold tolerance. I am in an area where the average lows are close to the same. I have seen these palms take the upper twenties briefly (1night) and survive okay. The most exposed leaflets get fried but the plant lives and recovers its nice looks quickly (in plant time).
Do you see many of these growing in yards where you are? I am guessing you're in California. I've often wondered if they are popular outdoors out that way.

I am told that they provide hedge material in SoCal (Dave mentioned it, I beleive). Up here in the Greater East Bay/Delta they are only seen as house plants. My planting is on the East side of a fence that runs N/S. Hopefully, something may come out of the test. We have had some brutal winds here the past couple of days; i'll need to give them a severe soaking tomorrow. Maybe they will get enough strength through the summer to survive the winter....I remain eternally hopeful.