Pink Davis

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
This one came from Mike Woolery (Bullwinkle). For me Pink Davis is on the slow side.With such nice colors on wide leaves, its worth the wait. Its picked up a bit of speed as we are entering the growing season.

Pink Davis 1.JPG
Pink Davis 2.JPG
Pink Davis 3.JPG
Pink Davis 4.JPG

I never knew I liked pink so much till I started growing crotons. Now I find I'm really attracted to all the pink ones. Ron, being a Davis hybrid does this cultivar get large leaves? Does the leaf get even more pink as the plant gets older? How about a photo next to Mike's Tickled Pink? Don't they look a lot alike? Let's see them together, please?Angelic

Ana - I don't have much experience with the growth habits of the Pink Davis. It has pretty much not done much growing since Mike gave it to me. Its in a three gallon container and has just started putting out new growth. How large the potential leaf dimensions that can be achieved remains to be seen. I suspect that they do as the plant matures after it gets planted in the ground. The largest leaf on the plant right now is 11.5 inches long and 5.5 inches wide. The Pink Davis appears to have more pastel pinks compared to the Ticked Pink cultivar.

Posting a comparative photo would not work right now. The Tickled Pink stayed shaded during the winter season and its leaves did not color up much since it was not kissed enough by the sun. Its getting morning sun exposure now but has exploded with new growth and is looking very green. Perhaps in about 30 days we should see its awesome pinks.

pink davis was a plant bender had. supposedely it came from the davis yard. we never found the plant in the davis stuff. i think it is more likely a cutler plant, with some bravo in it's family. that would explain the pinks. dr. brown was not that familiar with cutler, he barely mentions his plants in the book.

I never knew I liked pink so much till I started growing crotons. Now I find I'm really attracted to all the pink ones. Ron, being a Davis hybrid does this cultivar get large leaves? Does the leaf get even more pink as the plant gets older? How about a photo next to Mike's Tickled Pink? Don't they look a lot alike? Let's see them together, please?Angelic

Ana - as I said, Tickled Pink is mostly green now. It should be looking stellar in about 25 more days. Compared to the Pink Davis, it has a more pronounced semi-oak leave shape, brighter pinks and is a much more robust grower. Its a shame Mike cannot recall where he acquired it so were could back track its history.

Tickled Pink 1.JPG
Tickled Pink 2.JPG
Tickled Pink 3.JPG

Mike - was this a Jamaican Shirley plant?