Not your Mom's Queen palm.

Stan

17/04/14
Not much to say about this unusual local Queen palm. Looks healthy..but those fronds..never seen another like it. I might ask for seeds.

Its here in Hayward, Edric. I don't have the exact address for Googling. Its on Whitman,next to a church and before the HS.
Dean,it has a nice deep green color..all year. Glossy too. Anybody think its some hybrid? And those fronds with the sharp recurve..they stay that way.

Its here in Hayward, Edric. I don't have the exact address for Googling. Its on Whitman,next to a church and before the HS.
Dean,it has a nice deep green color..all year. Glossy too. Anybody think its some hybrid? And those fronds with the sharp recurve..they stay that way.
Where in the world is Hayward? Thanks, Ed

Very interesting leaflets held in a V on the rachis. I've never seen a queen do that. If it was a hybrid, what would it be hybridized with? I'd totally collect seed.

I drove by..it had no seed stalk. I wonder if it IS a hybrid that is now a non flowering hybrid? Or do such palms flower and have sterile seed? I'm not very knowledgeable on palm genetics. Takes so long for them to mature and bloom here.
But-- I can tell you for sure those fronds are not an angle. And every one of them is a darker green then any other Queen palm around.

On second thought...maybe I looked too soon. I did go by a couple of weeks ago - before my other Queen palm post..and some of those were starting to seed. Sunday,I will take another look. And if I ever see it seed?..I will ask and hopefully after they say yes,spread the good luck around.