Forum Site Issues

Oh, I figured it out. Thanks, Ron. I'm still concerned about not being able to put your photos in the wiki since I can't edit yours.
Ana, not sure what the problem is you are having. What do you mean by "I can't edit yours." Can't you just save to your computer and upload to the wiki? Isn't this how you are normally doing it?

Dean is private messaging gone? I found where to do it, but did not see how to send it. :confused:

Dean, I tried to do it as usual. Saving it in a file in my computer and then uploading it to the wiki, but the wiki would not let me upload those that were full sized on the forum. It had no problems with the others. Actually, I didn't try the thumbnails. I think David's two were in the old style. I should give the new thumbnails a try to see if they work.

Dean, I couldn't upload the photos from the thumbnails either. My computer takes them, but the wiki doesn't. Don't know what's going on. Maybe Edric can help us since he's done so many. I just don't know what's going on here. The previous photos posted before the new software do upload to the wiki.

Dean, I tried to do it as usual. Saving it in a file in my computer and then uploading it to the wiki, but the wiki would not let me upload those that were full sized on the forum. It had no problems with the others. Actually, I didn't try the thumbnails. I think David's two were in the old style. I should give the new thumbnails a try to see if they work.
Ana - I took one of Moose's large pics in his "Couple of Pics" thread and had no problem. Please try again with the full size, and if you have a problem with one, tell me the file size and dimensions.

Note: you need to save the expanded thumbnail - not the actual thumbnail itself - could that be it?

Hmmm, I was working backwards through the threads and enlarging old photos I had posted. The new software was allowing this. It was a bit time consuming so I was chipping away at it bit by bit. I got as far as 1/2 way through the 4th page. Yesterday morning I wanted to do more chipping away, but the option was no longer available. Must of been sucking up mucho bandwidth or something. NailBiting Muted

Dean? LockTopic

Moose,
I had to take away the open ended edit capability. It is not good to allow people to edit old posts, as they can make it so all subsequent comments are nonsensical. I could give it to you temporarily if you desire. But I would have you reconsider using large photos.

As previously mentioned - the irreversible trend is that more and more people are going to be viewing the web from mobile devices - and having all those large photos makes it very difficult for them to do so. This software is specially designed to be efficiently viewable from phones and mini-tablets, as well as desktops - and not using the thumbnail feature sort of defeats the purpose. I already made the thumbnails big enough to see a good representation of the photo. And clicking on it makes it then easy to scroll through all the photos in the post in full size, so I don't really see the advantage. In fact, I would rather not have to scroll through all those big photos looking for comments.

And what is not recognized here in the U.S. is that some viewers have to pay for bandwidth on their desktops, and have limits like on phones. So, just loading on topic with all those large photos uses up tons of their quota - even if they only wanted to see one photo again.

Edit: Moose - this is uncharacteristic, but 2/3 of all traffic today so far has been from "High end mobile devices."

Last edited:
Dean - change is inevitable and the use of "high end mobile devices" are definitely increasing as the choice to view the internet. Lamar has already switched to using a tablet.

When looking to replace our laptop PC, I got a bit of education on the trends. Historically desk top PC's held their niche in the market since their monitors were usually of better resolution quality compared to lap tops. Lap tops were mostly used as a mobile "back-up" device for the Desk Top PC owners who could afford them. The Desk Top PC's could have upgrades easily installed while the Lap Tops typically could not. We all know how that has changed, Desk Tops are pretty much dinosaurs now. Not much of a selection to choose now as there is very little demand. Most manufacturers have ceased their production as there is negligible profit margins.

Lap Tops now have less of a demand but enough of a profit margin that they are still with us.

I held up my son's i-phone to check the size relative to the thumb nail size. For my lap top, the thumb nail photos are so small, I don't know what most images are unless they are enlarged. Before the software change, the photos were larger. When viewing, you could tell what the image was most of the time. If more detail was needed, you could elect to view a larger image.

My question is, is it possible to slightly increase the size of the thumb nail images. At least to a size that could still fit on a standard size cell phone screen?

Dean, did you see my previous post? I have to upload one photo at a time to the wiki. I used to be able to do five every time. No matter what the size of the photo, I can only do one at a time, not even two. Is there anything that can be done? It takes longer to do it this way and is a bit frustrating. Thanks.

Dean, did you see my previous post? I have to upload one photo at a time to the wiki. I used to be able to do five every time. No matter what the size of the photo, I can only do one at a time, not even two. Is there anything that can be done? It takes longer to do it this way and is a bit frustrating. Thanks.

Ana - I am able to only upload one at a time. If I push it and try to do a second simultaneously - I get an error. Copying and uploading to the Wiki sounds like the same bottleneck. This may be an idiosyncrasy of this software. Overall - I like its performance. There must be some sort of filter checking for viruses of anything that is uploaded. Dean was getting hammered with the old software, constantly putting band-aids on band-aids. This may be what we are going to have to deal with.

I sincerely hope this does not curtail your activities as the "Wiki Croton Queen". All Hail Happy