Tropical and Subtropical vines

Crazy for Crotons

29/06/09
If you could grow only one tropical/subtropical vine, what would it be?

Personally, either Rangoon Creeper or Chalice Vine (Solandra) would be sufficient for me. There are also some incredible vining Clerodendron.

I grow a wide range of subtropical vines, but cannot grow all the ones you can in Florida. Some are too tender to take our long, cool, damp winters. They end up rotting. I do like the variegated Solandra. It has spread to four trees here and makes a beautiful display in the winter/spring. I agree that clerodendrums can be spectacular and bloom for several months. Rangoon Creeper also survives here but you rarely see it and when you do, it isn't that great. I tried Stricticardia beraviensis after a nursery told me they died down in the winter and would come back. No such luck. My main concern is that I want prolonged bloom from vines. So the ones that I like the most are the common Bougainvilleas. They provide color all year long as long as you use high phosphorus and potassium. They bloom profusely here in California since we get very little rain. The less water, the better. I'm not wild about the thorns and the agressive growth, but the newer dwarf varieties can be trained up a tree without overpowering it.

I had a Rangoon Creeper, very nice but too much work. I'm still pulling up volunteers from the old root system. Same with the sky vine, passion vine, bougy's and so many others. They just take over. Since those days of heavy labor I am experimenting with less invasive vines. I like the classic tropical look of Monstera and Honeysuckle is a great native. I would like to try Hawaiian Wedding vine. If I could have any vine and temperature wasn't an issue it would be a green jade vine. To answer your question Ray, I can only say that I am trying to narrow it down!

Even though I have 2 1/2 acres, my yard is really not set up to grow many different vines. They need lots of room, and can be alot of work to maintain. I have two structures that I built to grow my green and black jade vines on. The green jade would rank high on my list of any vine to grow.

I have an affinity for Tecomanthe venusta also synonymous with Tecomanthe dendrophila. audubon dan dre crotons 001.jpgaudubon dan dre crotons 002.jpgaudubon dan dre crotons 003.jpgaudubon dan dre crotons 005.jpgaudubon dan dre crotons 004.jpgOnce established, they can bloom several times a year and the show of color is gorgeous. There is a yellow variety that has no where near the color impact as the Venusta. They also bloom on the woody part of the stems as opposed to the terminal ends. While they are fast growing, they are surprisingly not invasive at all, and can be managed quite easily. Enjoy the show!

I love this vine Tim, and use to have some in pots but never planted one in the ground. I think if I had the chance, I would put one in the ground now if I could get one. These are nice....

When I bought my place in Pahoa, the two vines I most wanted were blue jade vine and red jade vine. I quickly found out I had both, just over the property line on the vacant lot next door. About a year ago I purchased that lot. Since then, I've spent an inordinate amount of time trying to kill all the vines. It's not that the vines aren't nice - they're gorgeous, actually - but the roots are everywhere, and the vines choke out all the light to the Ohia trees. I'm making decent progress, and fortunately the vines are easy to cut with either a hacksaw or with a sickle, but I think this will be a long-term project.

I hear you Justin - the blue jade vine was a must have for me as soon as I saw it for the first time - unbelievably gorgeous when in full flower.

Since then one of them took down a very large tree in a friend's garden during a windstorm, and completely covered one of my biggest Ohi'as. The original one I saw was cut away so it wouldn't kill the tree it was on.

Vines are so cool, with such cool flowers, and jungle looking - but boy, most of them are a nightmare to keep under control and maintain, especially here in Hawaii. I have essentially given up on them, but I'm constantly tempted, and could give in at any time. :)

I like Beaumontia- Easter lilly vine I think its called,great foliage,beautiful flowers. I have Stephanotis...the California dilemma is..where it gets sun to flower best,its leaves get dull,where it looks tropical and shiny in part shade,light shade,it hardly blooms. So many tropical's here are like that..across the board.

What about Clerodendrum splenden?...I'm thinking of ordering one with not a single mention of it in California on the net.
There is almost a need for a "Tropicals in California" subforum -lol. Its not that they don't grow here...but they change so much. I can always spot a tropical in California just by photo. The same in Florida-and Hawaii of course, remind me of when I grew them in a tropical greenhouse.

What about Clerodendrum splenden?...I'm thinking of ordering one with not a single mention of it in California on the net.
There is almost a need for a "Tropicals in California" subforum -lol.
I will keep that in mind - as there is a tremendous desire for many gardeners to push the envelope on tropicals. I know. I was born and spent 55 years trying to make my surroundings look tropical in SoCal. If this forum grows enough, and this forum software improves (as they say it will), there may be a way to "tag" threads with a California tag that would direct Californians to those threads they may find more interesting

I have a few hoya, which I enjoy for their little upside down umbrella flowers. There is a variegated heart-shaped leaf that is especially nice. Mine are in hanging baskets in a small slatted orchid house where they can vine through the slats.

Lets not overlook- Bougainvillea. If you could only grow one? Grow the ones that have every color grafted on them. I'm not sure if that can be bought or is do it yourself..but its a great idea. In Florida and the tropics all colors should do well...as you get to California microclimates,some colors might be hard to get to thrive. Other then that...

Another vine I've admired and ran across once again on the internet is Norantea guianensis. Again,Has it ever been grown in soucal?.

I first saw it on some Florida nursery website followed by "out of stock". As your photo shows...its a looker.