A Perfect Eucalyptus deglupta

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
I was visiting Jeff Marcus the other day and found what looked to be the perfect example of E. deglupta. The shape, the color, the symmetry, the size - everything was as you would design it if you could. It was simply a magnificent monster of a tree, as can be seen by the normal size palms next to it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 499
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 459
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 498
Beautiful!

I've been contemplating with the idea of getting this tree. I have 2 Delonix Regia that are growing very well for the past 2 1/2 years, I wonder if this tree has similar cold tolerance?

Jeffrey
Apollo Beach, FL

nice specimen! I am trying again to grow these from seed which resembles saw dust.

any idea on the age of this tree, is is supposed to be quick, but how quick are we talking? also, are these Eucs weak against wind in hurricanes in south florida?

I am currently germinating some E. Deglupta in New Orleans. I am very excited to see so many people here who have some experience with this awesome tree. I have a tree that is about 30 inches tall that I plan to put in the ground next spring. I was wondering if anyone had any good idea of how long it should take to see a few leaf sets so I can pot my seedlings? I read all the previous post and I germinated my seeds as described in a opaque box with another box on top to hold in some moisture. Thanks any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jonathon,

While I haven't had personal experience with seedlings, I have a feeling it would help to know more about how you are growing these. In other words, are these in a heated greenhouse, or outside in New Orleans.

Again, I am not familiar with New Orleans' weather either. I would think with winter coming, the seedlings would appreciate some precautions and "help."

I can tell you that in the proper environment, these are fast. So I would think if taken care of, you would have a decent size plant in a year

I am germinating them outside in a mostly shaded area they get about 2-3 hours of sun a day. The temps are in the upper 80's with lows of 72 or so. I do intend to put them in a greenhouse before we get very much wintery weather. In general at the very coldest it might drop to 30 once or twice a year. I read a publication that was written for small timber farmers in the Phillipines and now I can't find it anywhere on the net. This is where I read that they shouldn't get that much sun too quickly. I also understand that a well ventilated area is a plus. I purchased a seedling about four months ago and it is almost three feet tall now, so I am a little concerned that the seedlings haven't really taken off. I planted them about 15 days ago. Thanks for the reply I would really like to see these trees do well here.

Jeffry, I agree with Ken, if you can grow Delonix you should have no problem with Euc. deglupta. My delonix defoliate and get a lot of die back in winter. My Euc. deglupta did not even lose a single leaf and it's in the coldest spot at the bottom of my canyon. Much hardier.

I am currently germinating some E. Deglupta in New Orleans. I am very excited to see so many people here who have some experience with this awesome tree. I have a tree that is about 30 inches tall that I plan to put in the ground next spring. I was wondering if anyone had any good idea of how long it should take to see a few leaf sets so I can pot my seedlings? I read all the previous post and I germinated my seeds as described in a opaque box with another box on top to hold in some moisture. Thanks any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Jonathon,
I cultivate E. deglupta in Spain. In this first photo the biggest "small" seedlings in the plug trays are maybe 4 months old. They remain tiny for the first 2-3 months, and all the hard work is in getting them to this size. The bigger seedlings are less than 7 months old. Grown in tree pots like this they grow tall, and won't branch until you pot them up. If you pot them up from the plug tray size, they will branch earlier, like in the second photo.

e.deglupta(2).jpg

e.deglupta2_lg.jpg

The growth rate is really determined by the size of pot. Here's one sapling that is now almost 5 feet tall because I planted it in a 15 litre container in full sun when it was only 6"-8" high. It came from the same batch as the seedlings in the tree-pots, which I've purposely held back. As soon as they get potted up, they really take off.

e.deglupta(3).jpg

I also wrote some notes about germination on PalmTalk, which you can read here: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=19533&view=findpost&p=326462

Thanks for all the info. Mine are still specks, but I'm afraid they are staying too damp I moved them to a full sun location hopefully they will take off. I will water them a little less and keep the lid off of them so that the soil doesn't hold as much of the moisture in.

I would love to plant one of these monsters but my garden isn't large enough. I can't put it anywhere 200 feet from my house. They do blow down in hurricanes. Our local botanic garden lost theirs in a hurrice a few years ago.

If you plant them in a wet spot, you can almost watch them grow! Afriend of mine planted on at the corner of her ground cover where it stays wet. It has grown at least 6 feet this summer!

We have a few 7 gallon ones in the nursery that we sell for $55. They are more expensive in other places I know.

Alas, this is one of the beauties I can't grow because of its size and lack of wind tolerance.

For those who have never admired a mature tree up close and personal, the Eucalyptus deglupta has really beautiful bark. I’ve seen many nice specimens growing here on Big Island and during the 2008 IPS Biennial in Costa Rica. A Florida plant vendor’s web site provides brief growth info (“a very fast growing tree that will reach 100 feet or more in height and be as much as eight feet in diameter. Growth rate is like a bullet in the range of 6-10 feet per year”), and some click and view photos of this tree with rainbow colored bark, and its beautiful blossoms:

http://mgonline.com/articles/rainboweucalyptus.aspx

Jeffry, I agree with Ken, if you can grow Delonix you should have no problem with Euc. deglupta. My delonix defoliate and get a lot of die back in winter. My Euc. deglupta did not even lose a single leaf and it's in the coldest spot at the bottom of my canyon. Much hardier.

Glad to read your response, MattyB. I have several 60' eucalyptus w/ room for more. Is "deglupta" a slow grower in California? There's a magnificent specimen in the Fairchild\ Miami.

I pulled out delonix after 3 winters of die back. It was in too much shade anyway. The only decent tree is in San Diego [near the UCSD hospital].

Not sure if mine are as big as Jeff's (or Bill Austin's), but the advantage mine have is that you can view them from far away, giving a much better idea of scale.

DSC02609.jpg

Attachments

• DSC02609.jpg
    DSC02609.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 204
I can't tell you if yours are bigger, but they are plenty big - that's for sure.

Large trees are just plain awesome. Have any of you watched that new Tree House program on cable? It has me checking out all my trees every time I watch it. I can easily envision a cool tree house in your Euc. :)

Dean, I've definitely thought about putting a tree house up there, if for no other reason than I'm pretty sure I'd have an ocean view from up there. ;-)

If you haven't seen the "Treehouse Masters" on cable, you really should. You will want one of these "high end" tree houses. At least google Treehouse Masters for a taste. I saw him put a spa in one. :)

That's what I was thinking - you would have quite a view from up there. Same with me.

I was visiting Jeff Marcus the other day a found what looked to be the perfect example of E. deglupta. The shape, the color, the symmetry, the size - everything was as you would design it if you could. It was simply a magnificent monster of a tree, as can be seen by the normal size palms next to it.

Love the colors of the bark. Next time i paint i will use this for paint chip chart at Home depot. Thanks Kip

I agree with Justin that this beautiful tree is best observed from a distance. It gets massive with time. Not sure if it would be a good candidate for a tree house. The branches seem rather brittle with moderate winds. Guerilla planted one across the street due to it achieving such a large stature and the falling branches. I can observe its fabulously colored trunk from my garden. :cool:

I agree with Justin that this beautiful tree is best observed from a distance. It gets massive with time. Not sure if it would be a good candidate for a tree house. The branches seem rather brittle with moderate winds. Guerilla planted one across the street due to it achieving such a large stature and the falling branches. I can observe its fabulously colored trunk from my garden. :cool:

Yep - I agree Moose. That's why I watch this TV program - to learn a few things like that. In addition, you have to take into account the movement of the tree in high winds (sometimes they place beams on pins to allow movement), and also the fact that these trees grow so quickly - adding other planning ahead issues, I'm sure. But it might still be a candidate for a simple platform to get up and above everything for a panoramic view.

E.deglupta even grows in the bay area. I haven't seen them very large,but still around 20' and in ground quite a few years. That home changed owners,so if they have any idea of what it is,is ,anybody's guess.

At 20' I could only make out the size of the nice trunk on Google Earth-lol. Somebody had put me on to the address. I know too that Gary Gragg of Golden Gate Palms fame had one years and years ago. Unless it was planted out of the usual Sunset zones 16 and 17 of the inner bay area USDA, 10a and 10b,It should be doing well. I think one exoticphile in Livermore- a 9b that has plenty of sub 32f days in winter is giving it a try..they do though have long hot summers,and he does cover and heat cable some of his young, but over head high, exotics like Royal palms. Livermore is a great vineyard valley.