Forum Site Issues

palmisland

28/03/08
I've recently been having problems posting photos. Has something changed? I get to the "upload photos" then I can't get past this point. Also I'd like to post more often, even a quick reply, but this site make me log back in even after a a few minutes. What's up?

Don't know anything about the uploading of pictures of recent, but getting kicked out and having to re-log in has been a serious problem for me for a very long time. AND...that's the very reason I don't post more often. Especially with more of a lengthy respond.

It must be a browser issue as I have had no problems either uploading or getting logged off??I have a fairly new computer so I am guessing that I am using the latest internet explorer option.

I've recently been having problems posting photos. Has something changed? I get to the "upload photos" then I can't get past this point. Also I'd like to post more often, even a quick reply, but this site make me log back in even after a a few minutes. What's up?

I have a Mac & use Safari, not Explorer. I've always had the issue of this site constantly logging me out after a few minutes. Also why I don't post more often. I don't know if this is a security thing, but I don't have this issue on any other forums.

I'm having trouble with photos though. I get as far as 'choose file' & then thats it. I get code & no photo.

My problem is the same as Jeff's. I have to keep my response short or when I go to post it tells me I must log in. Photo's have not been problem.

No problems here. Occasionally I have to log back in but suspect that is due to computer shutting down and rebooting in middle of night after some mysterious upgrade, change, mod, etc.

Let me float something here now - and I will probably post it in a dedicated thread later.

I can address your issues above - but let me do this instead - a little ahead of schedule.

I have been researching new forum software due to many outdated aspects of this software. Once considered the finest, it was purchased by a large company four years ago. And to make a very very long story short, it has been in a steady decline to a point where they have not been keeping pace with present and future advances in web technology. The newest major upgrade was just released to universal criticism - and unparalleled dissatisfaction - and cost. I was going to upgrade, but now have big time concerns.

So far I am pleased with a newer forum software called Xenforo. There are many technical improvements that I won't bore you with - other than to say it makes my job easier keeping the site secure and managing everything that needs to be managed. It runs faster, using less resources, and is just a "cleaner" and simpler look which is geared to mobile computing. And it allows for much improved systems to help new people find us when using Google and other search engines.

But the main plus for us appears to be a very slick photo uploading and resizing feature. It allows for a simple drag and drop of any photos right into a post and "bam" it's there - unbelievably fast and easy. Of course there are some differences with the layout, etc, but all in all I think it would be a considerable improvement.

I am aware no one likes change - but it is inevitable. I can keep things as is and keep fielding and correcting security problems and other bugs, but eventually things will get buggier and glitches will happen that will be difficult to keep addressing. And the support team I ask questions of is becoming less and less helpful.

So my question to all of you is - "Do I have your support and willingness to learn a few new ways of doing things if it means an all around much better viewing and posting experience???" And this would also be a solution to any of the issues you are experiencing.

OK with me also,I hated Windows 8 at first but once you get the hang of it, it really is great.

Let me float something here now - and I will probably post it in a dedicated thread later.

I can address your issues above - but let me do this instead - a little ahead of schedule.

I have been researching new forum software due to many outdated aspects of this software. Once considered the finest, it was purchased by a large company four years ago. And to make a very very long story short, it has been in a steady decline to a point where they have not been keeping pace with present and future advances in web technology. The newest major upgrade was just released to universal criticism - and unparalleled dissatisfaction - and cost. I was going to upgrade, but now have big time concerns.

So far I am pleased with a newer forum software called Xenforo. There are many technical improvements that I won't bore you with - other than to say it makes my job easier keeping the site secure and managing everything that needs to be managed. It runs faster, using less resources, and is just a "cleaner" and simpler look which is geared to mobile computing. And it allows for much improved systems to help new people find us when using Google and other search engines.

But the main plus for us appears to be a very slick photo uploading and resizing feature. It allows for a simple drag and drop of any photos right into a post and "bam" it's there - unbelievably fast and easy. Of course there are some differences with the layout, etc, but all in all I think it would be a considerable improvement.

I am aware no one likes change - but it is inevitable. I can keep things as is and keep fielding and correcting security problems and other bugs, but eventually things will get buggier and glitches will happen that will be difficult to keep addressing. And the support team I ask questions of is becoming less and less helpful.

So my question to all of you is - "Do I have your support and willingness to learn a few new ways of doing things if it means an all around much better viewing and posting experience???" And this would also be a solution to any of the issues you are experiencing.

So Dean, it sounds like the new software might make posting photos easier and faster once we learn how to do it, but will this system help the even more important message posting problems Randy and Jeff are having? What do you think is causing them to log off inadvertently? It is crucial for everyone to be able to post any length message with or without photos. Do you think this will be remedied?:confused::confused: If so, then the changes are worthwhile in my opinion. If it's just a different way to post photos, it would not be worth it to me to have to relearn the new system unless it solves the logging off issue that's bothering some.

I have not tried to post photos recently, and I've not had problems with getting logged off while posting any length message. That would make the wiki and gallery work excruciating. I don't know if it has anything to do with browser? Could this be the cause of what others are experiencing? I use Chrome and like it very much. I also have a Mac.

I am one reluctant to change, but alas it is inevitable. Can live with the changes as long as we don't get a new TOS - LOL :D

Dean,

I think it would be wise for you to make the upgrades. 100% behind you.

And to be clear, my problem sometimes...is while logged in, I go to write a lengthy response and hit send, only then to be notified I have been kicked out, and have to re log in. Where as....practically every morning when I come to work, I'm almost always STILL logged in from the previous day / night.

Sounds good to me. I know I don't post a lot but I am willing to learn a new system. I suppose you will be able to "merge" the old program with the new so that all the old info and threads will still be available. Hope it's not too much work for you.

Thanks for all the replies. I will ask a favor at the end of this post, so please read. I am not ignoring any of your questions or concerns at this point, but I think the answers will become obvious here shortly.

I went ahead and purchased what I think is the best new forum software yesterday and spent all day transferring data and setting up a test site to make sure everything would work - and work adequately. The two biggest concerns were 1) that all our data (topics and photos) were preserved, and would be converted to the new system 2) all the users were preserved - most notably their info and passwords/log-ins.

Please go to THE TEST SITE (and don't freak on the colors - still working on them - :) ) and see if you can log in. That is my main concern at this point. Please let me know. If you are curious, feel free to experiment to your heart's content - but realize anything you post will not appear in the final product. Feedback is welcome - although please be aware that there is a lot of fine tuning to work out any settings and to make it look more appealing, etc.

I am mostly concerned with your logins and ability to view and post - but any comments will be appreciated.

Well, let's see if the new software is working. Here is a shot of two Cyphophoenix balansae.
CyphoPTPT.jpg

Dean, I see it now, thanks. Just a suggestion; can the wiki gallery be easier to get to? All us old timers know how to find it, but for new people or lurkers, it takes knowing several clicks to get to it. It would be nice if there was a separate wiki gallery in the nav bar to go directly to Master name list in alphabetical order, and then once there, you could switch to leaf shape, etc. Those others are rarely used I think.

So far, I'm really liking the new forum software. Seems real easy to log on and post, and the one photo I tried was easy peasy! Thanks so much!!!

Ana - if I can complete my taxes today, this is what I will do.

I will start working on making a better cover page for the CrotonPedia - something with a photo or two, etc. If you would like to prepare some entry text along the lines of "Welcome to the CrotonPedia (or whaetver), where you can find blah, blah, blah....." --- Then I can use that as an introduction/explanation.

I will also fashion some type of direct link to this page from the forum - not sure yet how to do it, but will give it some thought. It would be nice to have a "drop down" menu under the WIKI tab that would have "Wiki Main Page," "PalmPedia," and "CrotonPedia" - but I don't know if I know my code well enough to get that done. But in either case I agree, and will make an easier direct path directly to the CrotonPedia available.

Don't know anything about the uploading of pictures of recent, but getting kicked out and having to re-log in has been a serious problem for me for a very long time. AND...that's the very reason I don't post more often. Especially with more of a lengthy respond.
OK Searle - I'm calling you out. The "very reason you don't post more often" is now fixed. Time to start cranking up some of those lengthy responses. :p

OK Searle - I'm calling you out. The "very reason you don't post more often" is now fixed. Time to start cranking up some of those lengthy responses. :p

Yes! I love it. I am waiting for the regular posting from Jeff also. Dean, I don't see how to reply with quote on here like what you did. I just copied and pasted.

Anna - click the "Reply" that is in the post you wish to quote (lower right). You can also use that "Like" right next to it for posts you like. I'll go ahead and "Like" your post on Jeff above, and you will see what it does.

Anna - click the "Reply" that is in the post you wish to quote (lower right). You can also use that "Like" right next to it for posts you like. I'll go ahead and "Like" your post on Jeff above, and you will see what it does.

Oh, easy, thanks. Yes, I've already 'liked' a few posts. So far everything seems great, Dean. Thanks for all your work. One more question. Bob commented that my photos were so large that it took a long time for his computer to load them. Is it better in general to make the photos thumbnails? I didn't know how large the full size would be until I posted them the first time, and I was surprised at the large picture size- just like Ron's photos, but they look so pretty when they are full size! What size should we be doing when we post photos?

Ana - let me reserve judgement on photo size until I become a little better acquainted with things. For now I think the best way is to make them thumbnails. That way they present a very nice preview, and you can click on them and "flip" through all the photos in that post using the viewer which resizes them according to the window you have open.

However, what this software does, and one of the main reasons why I needed to convert, is that it displays things very well on phones and tablets. And I believe using the thumbnail option is also the most convenient for phone and other mobile users. And these types of users are growing month by month and will be the majority of viewers someday.

And I may be restricting the size that will display - I just have to figure out the resizing software and the best way to configure things.

Well, I found out another reason to make them thumbnails. I cannot upload the photos into the wiki site with the full size photos. I tried putting in some of Ron's and a couple of mine and it did not work, whereas David King's photos were successful. So there! Dean, is there a way to go back and change them to thumbnails?

Well, I found out another reason to make them thumbnails. I cannot upload the photos into the wiki site with the full size photos. I tried putting in some of Ron's and a couple of mine and it did not work, whereas David King's photos were successful. So there! Dean, is there a way to go back and change them to thumbnails?
Not sure Ana - I'll take a look when I get a little more time. Did you notice the new links to the CrotonPedia, PalmPedia, etc? I still plan on trying to spice up the landing page a bit.

It appears that the original poster has the option to re-size back down to the thumbnail size. Perhaps if Ana became the Moderator, this would enable her to "edit" the size so uploads to the Wiki could be accomplished.

Just some thoughts for Dean. The moderator had many privileges with the old software. Joyful