Who or What Are "Plant People" - A Different Breed???

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
This thought is prompted by MooseMan's comments near the end of this topic about the discovery of a rare species of palm "saved" by a "plant person."
http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/show...oot-Pritchardia-schattaueri&p=46592#post46592

I would assume most anyone reading this is a "plant person." But how come? Why do some of us look at every plant as we drive from place to place? Or notice every plant in those jungle scenes on TV? I guess it is like any obsession. Some are fanatic, while others don't even think about it. I don't care about the cornering ability of that new sports car, or the accuracy of that new rifle. And I'm sure those car and gun nuts don't care about that new red leaf on my Calytrocalyx. But for some reason it has always appeared to me that there is something different about plant people.

I always thought it was something ingrained just waiting to be awakened. I knew from a young boy after watching my first seed grow that I enjoyed growing things. However, my neighbor, with 3 acres of prime Hawaiian growing potential haven't planted much of anything over the last 20 years, other than a small lawn. But recently they retired. And as they approach 70 yrs old they have started a small hydroponic lettuce greenhouse for a past time. And all of a sudden they tell me how they check on their little lettuce sprouts multiple times a day and watch the new leaves form and the plant develop. Were they always plant people - but just never knew it - never got that spark that lit that fire? Then all of a sudden.....

Once you become a plant person, I think you are always one. For some of us we know early on. And for some of us it apparently doesn't catch fire until later. Or does it??? Was it always there, just waiting for the right time. Is it something special because it encompasses more that other passions? It is the circle of life itself, and so connected to the environment that sustains us. Or am I just a plant nut, no different than the car or gun nut?

This thought is prompted by MooseMan's comments near the end of this topic about the discovery of a rare species of palm "saved" by a "plant person."
http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/show...oot-Pritchardia-schattaueri&p=46592#post46592

I would assume most anyone reading this is a "plant person." But how come? Why do some of us look at every plant as we drive from place to place? Or notice every plant in those jungle scenes on TV? I guess it is like any obsession. Some are fanatic, while others don't even think about it. I don't care about the cornering ability of that new sports car, or the accuracy of that new rifle. And I'm sure those car and gun nuts don't care about that new red leaf on my Calytrocalyx. But for some reason it has always appeared to me that there is something different about plant people.

I always thought it was something ingrained just waiting to be awakened. I knew from a young boy after watching my first seed grow that I enjoyed growing things. However, my neighbor, with 3 acres of prime Hawaiian growing potential haven't planted much of anything over the last 20 years, other than a small lawn. But recently they retired. And as they approach 70 yrs old they have started a small hydroponic lettuce greenhouse for a past time. And all of a sudden they tell me how they check on their little lettuce sprouts multiple times a day and watch the new leaves form and the plant develop. Were they always plant people - but just never knew it - never got that spark that lit that fire? Then all of a sudden.....

Once you become a plant person, I think you are always one. For some of us we know early on. And for some of us it apparently doesn't catch fire until later. Or does it??? Was it always there, just waiting for the right time. Is it something special because it encompasses more that other passions? It is the circle of life itself, and so connected to the environment that sustains us. Or am I just a plant nut, no different than the car or gun nut?

Very interesting subject Dean, I always thought I inherited it from my maternal grandmother, Ed

Working with plants or any hobby for that fact helps clean the mind of everyday happenings. As with any hobby it is something you enjoy primarily for personal rewards and interests. Hobbies help one to build and discover themselves because you use your knowledge, talents and skills to give life to your hobby. I have always had a thing for nature and the earth and I believe her plants and animals are her teachings.
Bottom line, are "Plant People" a different breed? No we are just in touch with nature and respect the earth in which we all live.​

Thinking a little more on this subject, and what makes gardening unique IMO, is that most hobbies deal with inanimate objects, while ours deals with life, death, sickness, health, etc. - just as we do. In addition, many hobbies are approached from the outside in, something to be studied and worked on from the outside - while creating a garden is something you step into and are surrounded by, and that changes everyday even if you do nothing. It welcomes and even draws in more of nature from outside - the sun, rain, wind, along with all the birds and insects, etc. - oh, almost forgot, and weeds.

At any rate, certainly much different than coin or stamp collecting. :)

Getting into the hobby instead of Starbucks, I enjoy my weekend morning coffee sitting on this bench.
IMG_4718.jpg

Very interesting subject Dean, I always thought I inherited it from my maternal grandmother, Ed

Inherent plant instincts are primary, the quest for knowledge is learned. Together - a passion is created.

There are some people you tell them how to propagate plants - and they seem to find a way to fail. They lack the inherent plant instinct. That is why some in the past could never comprehend how to be farmers

For those folks - they need to grow Sanseveria