White Ann Rutherford

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
AAB White Ann Rutherford.jpg
AAB White Ann Rutherford 2.jpg
AAB White Ann Rutherford 3.jpg
This one has been called Island Breeze. At the Glock's Holiday Social, Bob Alonso ID'd this variety as White Ann Rutherford. I wish I could find a "typical" (with colors other than white) Anne Rutherford. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Moose,

I bought a cutting of the Ann Rutherford from Mark Hooten at our meeting in Dec. I have it in a bag to root in the Keys. Also have the White one ther as well. Will let you know how it does.
Judy

I have seen a big white Ann Rutherford and it was really stunning.The emergent leaves come out solid white and slowly change.It is fantastic once they get some size.

Verrrry interesting... I have several of these in the yard and none show a trace of yellow. Always cream colored to white depending on lighting conditions.

Verrrry interesting... I have several of these in the yard and none show a trace of yellow. Always cream colored to white depending on lighting conditions.

Phil - I got this as Island Breeze, Bob Alonso informed us that its original name is White Ann Rutherford. As for the pastel yellows you see, its only seen on the newly flushed leaves. It cures to white as you can see on the mature leaves if you enlarge the photo. Just may be a light exposure situation as you have mentioned.

I have seen a big white Ann Rutherford and it was really stunning.The emergent leaves come out solid white and slowly change.It is fantastic once they get some size.
I agree with Mike. Mine is getting better and shows more color with age. It gets more and more yellow that eventually turns to white, especially this time of year. A really good grower too.

Here's my white A.R. Before it was correctly identified, wasn't it also known as "Bradenton Mystery," because it was discovered there ?

P1070414.JPG

Yes, this has gone through several name changes (Bradenton Mystery, Island Breeze) before finally and positively ID'd as White Anne Rutherford. Mine tolerate anything from full sun to shade. It's been a vigorous grower.