Tabernaemontana crassa

kwtimo

22/05/10
Here is what I would consider the tree form of Tabernaemontana species. T. crassa is as easy to grow as all of the other Tabernaemontanas that I have posted on, but has the advantage of larger overall height and massive leaf size. Its white clusters of 3/4 to 1 inch individual flowers are deliciously scented too. These do quite well in morning direct or all day indirect light, with average water needs. They respond very well to frequent fertilization. I haven't had any success with propagating these yet, but am trying different methods this coming year. The grower I purchased them from had plants with seed pods on them. They come in pairs, much like Stemmadenia litoralis (that will be another thread) but they are the size of large limes. I don't have a pic of the overall tree yet, but will post when I do. Dean, I'm thinking you probably know of this one. If not, maybe you should! I was standing on top of a five foot fence to be able to get a pic of the bloom to give you an indicator of the size of the plant. CAM00249.jpgCAM00204.jpg

Nope, not familiar with this - but would like to be. Believe it or not, we just do not have as vast assortment as I would like as far as plants go. Many were restricted for many years, and the ones that made it here, are generally still on Oahu. And I spent most of my life in SoCal, so am still unfamiliar with many of the more desirable and rare tropical goodies. We do have a great assortment of palms on this island though - thanks to Floribunda and Jeff Marcus.

But for the other stuff, we have to find the other collectors to get anything along the lines of plants like these.

Any idea how this genus does from cuttings?

Any idea how this genus does from cuttings?

Dean,
Crassa is an easy one from cuttings. We do them under mist. We've also found it to be the cold heartiest never defoliating like the others when it gets down in the forties.

Dean,
Crassa is an easy one from cuttings. We do them under mist. We've also found it to be the cold heartiest never defoliating like the others when it gets down in the forties.

Thanks Marie - now all I have to do if find a mother plant. I probably would overlook it unless it had a flower that I would recognize. NBut now that I have a photo, I'll keep my eyes open.