Tabernaemontana Africana

kwtimo

22/05/10
Another one of my cherished scented plants is Tabernaemontana Africana, which is also synonymous for T. Holstii and T. Pachysyphon. I have also heard it called Samoan Gardenia. It is an amazing mid sized shrub that produces large 3 to 4 inch pure white blooms that perfume the air with their incredible vanilla spice scent. The blooms are pinwheel like and twisted, adding another dimension visually to an already gorgeous flower. The foliage is ovate and usually glossy green as long as they are getting the sun they want, leaves measuring around 3 to 4 inches as well. While these can live in shadier environments, I have seen them thrive and bloom regularly throughout the year if they are getting good amounts of direct to full sun. Occasional pruning or pinching is recommended to keep the shrub more full in its nature, but not to be done too frequently as to suppress the blooms. Other than an occasional aphid interest, I have not experienced much of any pest issues. Regular fertilizing and water will create for much happier plants too. Situate one near a sitting area, or on a walking path placed between some crotons to really pack a punch in the garden. Even the break of foliage and contrast in the pic here next to the Ae Ae banana gives an example of how they can make other plants really stand out. I first saw this plant at the Hawaiian Botanical Tropical Garden, and was on a mission to have one since. I have purchased a few from a grower in Hilo in 4 inch pots that were small to start, but they grew nicely once well rooted and put in a larger container. I have since found some South Florida sources for these, and they are much bigger to start than my 4 inchers. Lavaloie Hybrid 015.jpgLavaloie Hybrid 012.jpgLavaloie Hybrid 013.jpgLavaloie Hybrid 019.jpgLavaloie Hybrid 014.jpgLavaloie Hybrid 016.jpgMine are now in 7 gal containers, and I have one planted at a clients property. If you have a sunny spot in your piece of paradise, I would strongly suggest putting one of these in to perfume the air and and beautify your surroundings. DypsisDean, are you familiar with this one?

Finally one I know. :)

And know it well. And it is one of my favorite fragrances - probably tied for first with Gardenia. I have three good sized one - about 5 feet. I am at 2200 ft elevation so i am in a borderline location, and they are a slower grower, but well worth it.

I have another kind (don't know the name) that is a smaller bush, more flowers, and an easier grow.

I'll try to remember to get some pics, because after looking close at your pics tomorrow, I'm not sure what I have.

Dean, I thought you would be familiar with this one. Glad to hear that you share my affection for this plant. I have two more species of Tabernaemontana that I will gladly write posts on, I just need to wait until they are in bloom to take pics. They are innately different from each other, and serve varied purposes in the garden design. I am interested to see which Tabernaemontana you have that you were speaking of.

Here's the larger one I was speaking of. I'll try to get a pic of the bushier one when the rain stops.

Attachments

• IMG_1148PT.jpg
    IMG_1148PT.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_1150PT.jpg
    IMG_1150PT.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 375
All Right - Finally,

Here is a pic of the smaller bushier variety I am growing. I don't know if it is a different type or not. The growth habit is very different, but the flowers are the same at a quick glance.

Attachments

• IMG_1317PT.jpg
    IMG_1317PT.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 545
Dean, I thought you had forgot about me. What a cool form of this plant. It is so compact in its habit. Are the leaves and blooms the same size as your larger plant? Have you done any pruning to it? It looks identical to the larger form, only smaller in overall size. Thanks for sharing this pic.

Dean, I thought you had forgot about me. What a cool form of this plant. It is so compact in its habit. Are the leaves and blooms the same size as your larger plant? Have you done any pruning to it? It looks identical to the larger form, only smaller in overall size. Thanks for sharing this pic.

What do you mean - it only took me 6 months to follow through. :)

I'll have to take a few samples of a leaf and a flower from both and place them side by side and take a photo for you to decide. I haven't really done a careful examination.

But no, I have not trimmed up the bushier one at all. I have about 5 of them, and they have all maintained that compact appearance - and I have had them in the ground for over three years. No species name was given.

We have the tree species, and purposely put it just outside our bedroom window. Hopefully when the tree gets a bit larger and more profuse (it's about 7-8 feet tall now), every night we'll be able to smell the blooms. It has quite a nice shape, I haven't had to do any pruning for shaping purposes yet.

We have the tree species, and purposely put it just outside our bedroom window. Hopefully when the tree gets a bit larger and more profuse (it's about 7-8 feet tall now), every night we'll be able to smell the blooms. It has quite a nice shape, I haven't had to do any pruning for shaping purposes yet.

That is what is nice about this particular plant. I've had mine for over 7 years, and I too have never needed to touch it with clippers - not once. Sometimes slow growing is nice.