Cold hardiness of crotons

annafl

Esteemed Member
Hey, this might be a good time for all of us to post which crotons made it through this all-be-it pretty mild winter with flying colors and which wimped out and dropped quite a few leaves.

For me, the lowest temp in my yard this winter was 37. I also had a 38 or two and maybe a dozen mornings in the low 40's. No freezes, frosts. Not a lot of consecutive cold days. It was a pretty mild winter overall. I think milder than average, but not as mild as last winter.

Here are my lists:

From wimpiest to moderately wimpy:

Wimpiest:

Robert Halgrim and Ram's Horn were tied for the wimpiest by far of all. Significant leaf drop to affect the overall look of the plant.
Monarch (annoyingly wimpy as it regularly lost old, huge leaves that had a lot of life left in them)
Applause-my plant is small, and got smaller as about 33% leaves fell off.

More wimpy than average, but not so much to affect the plant look a lot:

Doris
Rudy Bachman
Commotion
Yellow Iceton
I'll put interruptum here, but really not as affected as the above. Perhaps more leaves dropped, but the leaves are thin, so the overall look wasn't affected.

Tough as nails:

Thea-delicate look, but didn't drop a leaf. Was newly planted last fall. I wish I would've taken Ricky up on his offer of a cutting a while back so I could try it in a different spot. Love this beautiful plant!
Quirko
Rubens
Stewartii
Mackenzie
Magnificent
Wilma
Red Quill
Irresistible
Cutler's Gulfstream
White Ann Rutherford
Davis 1
Mrs. Iceton
William Craig
General Marshall
Mona Lisa

The rest did fine, losing a couple or a few leaves here and there, not affecting the overall look of the plant.

Hey, please post your experience. Scott, I started this thread so as not to hijack yours, and to have key words in the title if anyone wants to look up this topic on search. I see that Duke of Windsor and Irresistible are on your list of ones that were cold-hardy winners? Any others that do well in your yard? You and Ray seem to be in the coldest areas of those that post here. Maybe Central Floridave, but I haven't seen him posting in a while. Seems like David King gets down in temp pretty far. All of you guys, what is your experience? It would be helpful to many-namely me. Phil, do you think you're a bit warmer than me? What else is a wimp in your yard besides interruptum?

Coldest morning for me was a refreshing (no frost :D) 34F with another 7 mornings in the upper 30's. My wimpiest Dreadlocks and Zanzibar These 2 are sticks at this time showing signs of new growth.
Semi wimp- Robert Lavalois planted in a very protected location showing 50% leaf drop at this time.​
All other Crotons show no ill from the cold temps at this time.
IMG_4032.jpg

Anna, I have had Rams Horn for some years now and I have not (knocking on wood) had a problem with it in the cold. I cut the top out of it last weekend for bushy growth.
IMG_4003.jpg

Anna, I am glad to see Magnificent on your list. I have 3 plantings for a few years now and happy to report all is fine. I had been told it was a very wimpy Croton when it came to cold but we prove otherwise.
The new growth still looks great.​
IMG_4000.jpgIMG_4004.jpg

Interesting, Scott, your babies look great. My dreadlocks I bring into the garage if it is going to be below 48 or so. I gave up on Zanzibar last year after I saw how wimpy it was with cold and with pests. My ram's horn is in a pot, so maybe that's why it's been so sensitive. Even in the mid to high 40's it has dropped leaves, so I bring it in the garage for anything below 48 or so. With your experience, I think I will plant it in the ground this spring in a protected area and see if it doesn't do fine. Thanks. This thread has already helped me. I hope others take the time to post their experiences.:rolleyes:

Anna, Here are a few more (photos from today) that did great in the chill with no leaf drop. I know you like to test your ID skills so no names posted. :)
IMG_4002.jpgIMG_4010.jpgIMG_4011.jpgIMG_4017.jpgIMG_4018.jpgIMG_4031.jpg

Some dont like the freezes at all .Some did good a lot just got fresh shoots burned . Thank goodness it was only for an hour or so Now the Piasso was the worst Bogorienses did not so good Eleanor Rosevelt about the bsame , the superstar wasnt to happy either . Some really nice Rudy B polinated with Gloriosa seedlings bit the dust , ill have to try that one again !!!! Gotta respect MOTHER NATURE

Attachments

• 125.jpg
    125.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 160
David, wow, that Bogoriensis and Eleanor Roosevelt look pretty cooked! Will they come back ok? That's very interesting, because I have a number of Eleanor Roosevelt in the ground and even during harsher winters they have done well. My lows have been 27-28 in this yard. Of course, only for a few hours at a time, and only a couple of times. Scott also says his Ram's Horn is not very sensitive to cold, and mine is. I wonder if there's more to it than variety. Who knows, maybe soil type? My Ram's Horn and your Eleanor are in pots too.

By the way, in post 1, under tough as nails, I meant Van Ruben, not Rubens. I don't have a Rubens.

Scott, I do like to try to id crotons for my benefit to see if I'm getting better, but I don't necessarily like to do it in front of the internet world so they can see how bad I am. I am not too proud, though, so here goes. It's a good way to get id's from people who won't do it otherwise.

Yellow Iceton
King of Siam
Eleanor Roosevelt
FDR or Golden Glow in shade
Irene Kingsley/Satan
?Captain Gilbert Cutler (no scale)

Caribbean Star
Madam Fernand Kohl (no scale)
President Reagan
Diane
?
ADF 5
Multicolor

How'd did I do? Now I'll have to find at least a dozen for you to try your id skills on. Give me a couple of days and I'll post them for you.

By the way, my guesses for the top photo are:

Lillian Stoffregen (beautiful)
Batik
King of Siam
And a red beauty which I can't think of- what is this pretty thing?

By the way, in post 1, under tough as nails, I meant Van Ruben, not Rubens. I don't have a Rubens.

Scott, I do like to try to id crotons for my benefit to see if I'm getting better, but I don't necessarily like to do it in front of the internet world so they can see how bad I am. I am not too proud, though, so here goes. It's a good way to get id's from people who won't do it otherwise.

Yellow Iceton
King of Siam
Eleanor Roosevelt
FDR or Golden Glow in shade
Irene Kingsley/Satan
?Captain Gilbert Cutler (no scale)

Caribbean Star
Madam Fernand Kohl (no scale)
President Reagan
Diane
?
ADF 5
Multicolor

How'd did I do? Now I'll have to find at least a dozen for you to try your id skills on. Give me a couple of days and I'll post them for you.

By the way, my guesses for the top photo are:

Lillian Stoffregen (beautiful)
Batik
King of Siam
And a red beauty which I can't think of- what is this pretty thing?

Ana, You did great! FDR it is, Madam Fernand Kohl is Gloriosum Supperbum and the ? is Sturrock's Pink Veitchi. As for the first group shot Batik is Red Bannana and the "pretty thing" is unknown.

My Zanzibar looks like your after photo also. I have it tucked in close to my compost pile where no one can see it, but it gets sprinkled just in case it can muster up some life, but I no longer expect anything out of it. I had another senior moment when I said Van Ruben was tough as nails. I meant Van Buren:eek:. You all were so kind not to correct me. I don't mind being corrected, though.

Scott, sorry for the delay, here are some to test/have fun with your id skills:

Attachments

• DSC_0491.jpg
    DSC_0491.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC_0488.jpg
    DSC_0488.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC_0494.jpg
    DSC_0494.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_0499.jpg
    DSC_0499.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC_0510.jpg
    DSC_0510.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC_0520.jpg
    DSC_0520.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC_0515.jpg
    DSC_0515.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC_0511.jpg
    DSC_0511.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC_0512.jpg
    DSC_0512.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 181
Thanks, Randy. Most did real well this winter. The couple of wimps are starting to get growth already. Most of my plants are still small, but I'm hoping for a really good year of growth and color. The ones that have been in the ground a year, or especially two, are starting to show they are very ready for spring, with new growth showing in several areas. I can't wait.

OK Anna, here are my guesses. Some I am certain of, others not so sure.
First Set:
Fishbone & Petra
Victoria Gold Bells
Cornbread
Van Buren
William Craig? or Daisy Ortegas?
Davis #1
Playboy
Compte de Germiny
? whatever it is, it is really nice looking

Second Set:
Joe Friday
Cordyline
Wilma
Plaid Oak
Corot
Polychrome
Stoplight
Congo
Your crotons look wonderful, particularly for the temperatures you experienced. Thank you for sharing.

I think this is a excellent effort. To be able to expand the Croton outside of the tropics would help awareness a lot. They are not used hardly at all in the SoCal garden. But if a list of the cultivars that might be able to make it there could open up a huge group of new interested growers. When people constantly try and fail, then nobody even tries anymore. But I have a feeling they are just using the wrong cultivars - the ones that come it to the Big Box Stores. With palms, pushing that envelope outside of the sub-tropical zone has really expanded the number of enthusiasts. When people start seeing a variety successfully grown in a garden, the interest grows.

I am intending to start up the TropiScape Blog with periodic articles on the Front Page. And an article on the 10 hardiest Crotons would probably do well with the search engines and interested readers. We could link to it from other sites and all the networking would only increase viewers and possible participation.

Ding ding ding ding ding ding!!!! We have a winner! Wow, Tim, 100%. I know I don't have anything ultra rare, but still, no mistakes from photos is amazing! The one you didn't know is that unknown favorite of mine that I keep showing, thinking one of these days someone might have a name for it. The cordyline was for Scott, because I like that little thing and he knows so much about cordylines I hoped he might give me the name for it. Great job!:cool:

OK Anna, here are my guesses. Some I am certain of, others not so sure.
First Set:
Fishbone & Petra
Victoria Gold Bells
Cornbread
Van Buren
William Craig? or Daisy Ortegas?
Davis #1
Playboy
Compte de Germiny
? whatever it is, it is really nice looking

Second Set:
Joe Friday
Cordyline
Wilma
Plaid Oak
Corot
Polychrome
Stoplight
Congo
Your crotons look wonderful, particularly for the temperatures you experienced. Thank you for sharing.[/QUOTE

Tim beat me to it. The one Tim can't ID looks like Royal Flush. Beautiful plants & good IDing, Tim.

You know, Randy, I think last time you might have also said it looks like Royal Flush. It does to me also, but Ray had said no, definitely not, and Jeff commented on something, but doesn't like to try to id by photos. No one else commented, so I keep trying. I do think it must be Royal Flush, but can't get more people to chime in yea or nay. This is a plant I bought from Mark Peters as a Gloriosa, which it is definitely not. It was pretty blacked out at the time, but the ugly duckling is beautiful now, and gets even better with every flush. I've never seen a mature Royal Flush in person. Only photos. The one you gave me is giving a flush now, but still not mature enough to compare. Thanks for chiming in. Maybe someone else will confirm our suspicions.:D

Very nice looking plants Anna. I checked my ID skills and had less than 1/2 right. :eek:
The Cordyline looks likes Miniature Maui-Silver or Maroon Minature.​
:cool:

Wow! I'm even impressed at my skills. I guess thats what can happen when I am learning from the best. Thanks to all who have helped me on the way to being a complete croton freak.

Yes, you are super good, or should we call you super freak?;) Joking, of course. You will be the next Bob Alonso. Have you seen a Royal Flush, Tim? My plant unknown doesn't look familiar to you?

Dean, I didn't mean to not address what you said. I wish we could make a list, it's just that not many of us that participate are in cooler areas, and not all of those weigh in regularly. I'd love to have that list too, so I don't waste my time with plants that aren't going to do well for me.

Anna, I'm pretty sure Jeff has a nice sized Royal Flush, I can't remember if Judy, Jerry or Ron have mature plants or not. Maybe Randy too. Perhaps we should start a Royal Flush thread, imploring the help of the seasoned croton heads? My plant recently installed at Audubon House is at least a growing season away from giving any indicator of its real potential.CAM00230.jpg

:cool:
Anna, I'm pretty sure Jeff has a nice sized Royal Flush, I can't remember if Judy, Jerry or Ron have mature plants or not. Maybe Randy too. Perhaps we should start a Royal Flush thread, imploring the help of the seasoned croton heads? My plant recently installed at Audubon House is at least a growing season away from giving any indicator of its real potential.View attachment 24510

Hey guys this is my six month old from Jeff's last sale

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 141
So sorry, Scott, I didn't see your comment till now. Don't know how I missed it. I will put a tag on my ti with both names! Thanks!

Thanks for the photos, Tim and Lamar. Lamar, yours looks more pastel-like, but maybe gets more shade? Mine gets quite a bit of sun and the pinks are more like watermelon. No reds, mostly watermelon pink and pinky-orange also. Leaf shape is perfect, though, and habit is more like the ones in the wiki. Tim, I think I will start a thread. Good idea. Maybe there will be more responses.

Ana, my lowest temp here was 35F on the night FSU proudly won the BCS football national championship (Jan 7). The entire month of January was on the cool side however. This I find can cause defoliation as much as one cold night buried in an entire month of warm weather.

Sounds like we're pretty close weather-wise, Ray. I imagine Phil is a bit warmer and maybe Scott a tiny bit colder? Where does Perry live? Also, didn't Toby move up toward Tampa? There are a few of us croton lovers up this way. I know David lives on the other side of the state in St. Lucie Co. and seems to get a bit colder than here? Maybe a little more inland.

Mango is a great Croton for the colder areas, the colder temps did not faze these and pushed new growth all season. These two are growing on the south side of heavy palm plantings. These Mangos replaced my Pie Crust's lost to the cold a few years ago. I topped these a few weeks ago to make them branch more. With what most of the USA mainland experienced this Winter I feel real real (did I say real?) lucky.
IMG_4242.jpgIMG_4229.jpg

So Scott, what was your lowest low this year? Do you know? Also, the color on those mangos is amazing. Can you show some closeups for a wiki shot?;)
Anna, Here are the Jan 2014 recordings from my personal weather station. The lowest reading was 34.1f. on Jan. 7.
FotoFlexer_Photojan14.jpg

Anna, The Mango's up close. I have 4 of them in the garden. The 2 with the best color are the 2 (in these photos) that came from Cleo. The box store 2 are not very colorful. These photos taken this afternoon showing the topping of new growth a few weeks ago.
IMG_4246.jpgIMG_4248.jpgIMG_4250.jpgIMG_4251.jpgIMG_4252.jpg