Oh Boy - Not Again!

This *&^%$#@! pest has been confined to southern Florida for several years now. I've not seen any this far north. It was mentioned several times in older threads on this board. It is not to be confused with the squishy green scale most of us have seen.

This *&^%$#@! pest has been confined to southern Florida for several years now. I've not seen any this far north. It was mentioned several times in older threads on this board. It is not to be confused with the squishy green scale most of us have seen.

Phil - I should have paid closer attention. Unfortunately this scale has found its way to the Moose Land this last year. Thinking it was the "green squishy" version, I had a false belief that A. the imidacloprid must still be working or B. Oh, some preditor has found its way here. Look its all discolored and yellowish, it must be dying. To make matters worse, the nymphs to this particular scale is much more mobile. They can move on their own and don't need the transportation aid of ants. In other words, ants are not always an indicator of this scale's presence.

If you got plants from me at the Glock Garden Tour auction, do NOT fret. Every plant that got transported to the West Coast was misted with Cygon several days prior. None of my plants had any sign of scale, I did this as a preventative courtesy, just in case of any hidden nymphs. Constant vigilence battling scale is practiced here.

Phil - I should have paid closer attention. Unfortunately this scale has found its way to the Moose Land this last year. Thinking it was the "green squishy" version, I had a false belief that A. the imidacloprid must still be working or B. Oh, some preditor has found its way here. Look its all discolored and yellowish, it must be dying. To make matters worse, the nymphs to this particular scale is much more mobile. They can move on their own and don't need the transportation aid of ants. In other words, ants are not always an indicator of this scale's presence.

If you got plants from me at the Glock Garden Tour auction, do NOT fret. Every plant that got transported to the West Coast was misted with Cygon several days prior. None of my plants had any sign of scale, I did this as a preventative courtesy, just in case of any hidden nymphs. Constant vigilence battling scale is practiced here.

You probably got them from me. Sorry!!!

You probably got them from me. Sorry!!!

Hey Karen - so good to see you emerge from the lurking shadows. Welcome to the posting side of the forum! :cool:

Gals & Guys - this is Karen, a long time croton collector. Karen's garden is closer to the Moose Land than any other Forum member. As a matter of fact, I actually seriously considered making an offer on her house over 20 years ago. We are talking walking distance.

Karen - no need to apologize, I doubt you gave me your scale. If you want to relieve any guilt you are feeling, you could come do some weeding here. LOL :D

Hey Karen - so good to see you emerge from the lurking shadows. Welcome to the posting side of the forum! :cool:

Gals & Guys - this is Karen, a long time croton collector. Karen's garden is closer to the Moose Land than any other Forum member. As a matter of fact, I actually seriously considered making an offer on her house over 20 years ago. We are talking walking distance.

Karen - no need to apologize, I doubt you gave me your scale. If you want to relieve any guilt you are feeling, you could come do some weeding here. LOL :D

Thank you for the warm welcome, Moose! Yes, this was my first post. In response to your reply about weeding...I don't feel THAT guilty!!! However, you did give me some pretty nice parting gifts when I came to visit!

Regarding my scale...I've spent several hours the last two weekends spraying off scale and sooty mold with a hose just to give many of them a respite -- especially considering all of the new growth due to the wet December. This is a stop gap method prior to my trying the neem/organicide/coffee spray that I've seen mentioned here in the forum. Let's plan Moose's visitation to KarenskaVille!