Father's Day / Columbiana Gold

Jerry Shilling

03/12/10
This may have been posted earlier, if so I missed it. Anyway, Bob Alonso was pretty sure that what we are calling Father's Day is in fact Columbiana Gold. I think he said it is a sport of Columbiana. I have noticed that my F.D. is putting out a branch that looks like Columbiana. Jeff, Tim, Jim & Judy were present when this was brought up.

Thanks Jerry,I had always suspected they were similar/same plant.As some branches of my Columbiana looks like Fathers Day and vice versa.

This may have been posted earlier, if so I missed it. Anyway, Bob Alonso was pretty sure that what we are calling Father's Day is in fact Columbiana Gold. I think he said it is a sport of Columbiana. I have noticed that my F.D. is putting out a branch that looks like Columbiana. Jeff, Tim, Jim & Judy were present when this was brought up.

Hi Ana,

There doesn't seem to be much interest in this topic. Is Father's Day and Columbiana Gold the same plant?

Is Father's Day and Columbiana Gold part of the "Columbiana Complex" that I have seen posted before?

Bob Alonso was pretty adamant that the Father's Day he saw at the Glock's in December was Columbiana Gold. I will post pictures of my Father's Day/Columbiana Gold and Columbiana upon returning to the Keys this weekend.

Happy New Years!

Happy New Year Jerry,

There may be something to this. I acquired my plant at a USF Croton Society sale many years ago labeled Columbiana. I later saw what the real Columbiana looked like and realized my plant was not. Years after that, I recognized my mystery plant labeled "father's day" at one of Jeff's sales. I went with that name as a placeholder for lack of calling it another unknown hybrid. It clearly resembles the real Columbiana but is much better looking.

Ray

A very rainy Saturday in the Keys...love the rain. A good day to post some photos regarding the Columbiana Gold saga.
First up is my Father's Day...orgin Jeff.
Bob Alonso belleves this plant to be Columbiana Gold. This discussion took place on the same walk as the Coppinger Hybrid is actually Cutler's Gulfstream discussion. We took action on that one... the Columbiana Gold doesn't get a mention. ?

Oldest to Newest....June to Yesterday.

Attachments

• fdcg1.jpg
    fdcg1.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 86
  • fdcg2.jpg
    fdcg2.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 89
  • fdcg3.jpg
    fdcg3.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 89
  • fdcg4.jpg
    fdcg4.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 101
  • fdcg5.jpg
    fdcg5.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 94
  • fdcg7.jpg
    fdcg7.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 99
Here is my Columbiana,,,orgin Jeff. Both plants are in the same area getting identical light. Both plants went into the ground same time. At times these plants look very similar.
But they are different in my opinion. However I can see FD being a sport of Columbian.

So is Bob correct...is Father's Day correct name, Columbian Gold...a sport of Columbiana?

Attachments

• col1.jpg
    col1.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 97
  • col2.jpg
    col2.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 99
  • col4.jpg
    col4.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 92
  • col5.jpg
    col5.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 91
  • co;6.jpg
    co;6.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 97
  • col7.jpg
    col7.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 93
  • col9.jpg
    col9.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 81
  • col10.jpg
    col10.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 97
Here is my Columbiana,,,orgin Jeff. Both plants are in the same area getting identical light. Both plants went into the ground same time. At times these plants look very similar.
But they are different in my opinion. However I can see FD being a sport of Columbian.

So is Bob (Alonso) correct...is Father's Day correct name, Columbian Gold...a sport of Columbiana?

Jerry..I’ve been following your thread Father’s Day/Columbiana Gold very closely and with great interest. I hope that when it is all said and done a consensus is reached.

Attached please see four fotos of what I have in my garden and have been calling COLUMBIANA…now I’m not so sure! I plead guilty and throw myself on the mercy of the court (INT’L CROTON SOCIETY-LEARNED CROTON FOLKS) in order to I.D. my now dubious cultivar.

1. Close-up view
2. Mid-range view
3. Full view
4. A CROTON from the same batch as above that I gave my son for his garden but now I'm not so certain! His home is located at a lower elevation (800 meters above sea level) and his garden is exposed to plenty of sun light as opposed to my ranch (1,500 meters above sea level), also with plenty of sun light.

Attachments

• 1. CLOSE-U VIEW.jpg
    1. CLOSE-U VIEW.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 2. MID-RANGE VIEW.jpg
    2. MID-RANGE VIEW.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 3. FULL VIEW.jpg
    3. FULL VIEW.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 4 MARK'S GARDEN.jpg
    4 MARK'S GARDEN.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 104
Jerry..I’ve been following your thread Father’s Day/Columbiana Gold very closely and with great interest. I hope that when it is all said and done a consensus is reached.

Attached please see four fotos of what I have in my garden and have been calling COLUMBIANA…now I’m not so sure! I plead guilty and throw myself on the mercy of the court (INT’L CROTON SOCIETY-LEARNED CROTON FOLKS) in order to I.D. my now dubious cultivar.

1. Close-up view
2. Mid-range view
3. Full view
4. A CROTON from the same batch as above, now of uncertain name, that I gave my son for his garden. His home is located at a lower elevation (800 meters above sea level) and his garden is exposed to plenty of sun light as opposed to my ranch (1,500 meters above sea level).

Absolutely amazing colors there Bob!

SHAMELESS AND SELFISH PUSH! Jerry Shilling asks in his post, “I would like to know if “Father’s Day is a correct name, and/or is Columbiana Gold…sport of Columbiana”?

Why Selfish you say? …because Robertico would like to know what in the world does he have planted in his garden which also happens to be one of his favorites? :confused:

SHAMELESS AND SELFISH PUSH! Jerry Shilling asks in his post, “I would like to know if “Father’s Day is a correct name, and/or is Columbiana Gold…sport of Columbiana”?

Why Selfish you say? …because Robertico would like to know what in the world does he have planted in his garden which also happens to be one of his favorites? :confused:

I'm not so willing to accept the Columbiana Gold name. Fathers Day has been around for a few years and has been getting distributed. Then bam, a new "old" name is applied to this cultivar. No mention of this name in Exotica, Frank Brown's books, on this forum or any other source other than Bob.

Just my opinion.