This may be a Dypsis psammophila :confused:

Attachments

• R #113 Dyp Psam.JPG
    R #113 Dyp Psam.JPG
    276.9 KB · Views: 223
  • R #114 Dyp Psam.JPG
    R #114 Dyp Psam.JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 219
Here is a very uncommon palm, Chamaedorea elatior. This climbing palm (the only in the Chamaedorea genus) has no means of attachment other than reflexed leaves. Its actually kind to touch. This specimen already has a trunk 25 foot long according to Randy.

Attachments

• R #115 Cham Elatior.JPG
    R #115 Cham Elatior.JPG
    266.3 KB · Views: 217
Ron, that looks like your Obe island form of Hydriastele beguinii

Thank you Tim, I must defer to your palmy eye. Just curious, is the palm I identified as the Obe Island form a Hydriastele beguinii? I've never seen such a palm with such a large terminal leaflet. Although mine is small, it does not resemble Randy's palm.

Here is another I thought could be a Hydriastele beguinii? Now I'm not so sure. Hey, its Randy's garden, it could me a multitude of species. Now I'm unsure if its even a Hydriastele.

Help, the Moose is sinking into a morass of palmy uncertainty :eek:

Attachments

• R #117 Hyd Beg.JPG
    R #117 Hyd Beg.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 229
Thank you Tim, I must defer to your palmy eye. Just curious, is the palm I identified as the Obe Island form a Hydriastele beguinii? I've never seen such a palm with such a large terminal leaflet. Although mine is small, it does not resemble Randy's palm.

Ron, post #76 is what I think is the Obe Island. Post # 62 I would say is definitely not, maybe not even a Hydriastele. I'm thinking Drymophloeus oliviformis. Take a look at the pics in the WIKI.

This is a very rare occurrence for a South Florida garden. A Johannesteijsmannia in the ground and thriving. Can't remember which species, either altifrons of lanceolata. Its growing but ever so slowly.

Attachments

• R #118 Joey Alt.JPG
    R #118 Joey Alt.JPG
    269.8 KB · Views: 211
Looks like Randy & Mike got an intense discussion going over some plant. A trip through Randy's garden was like a kid visiting a Willy Wonka. There was something interesting everywhere!

Attachments

• R #120 M & R debate Cr.JPG
    R #120 M & R debate Cr.JPG
    270.5 KB · Views: 214
Another fading red emergent leaf. Oh, this palm is flowering. Should not be so had to ID. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• R #124 Red Leaf B.JPG
    R #124 Red Leaf B.JPG
    266.8 KB · Views: 195
  • R #124 Red Leaf B flw.JPG
    R #124 Red Leaf B flw.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 203
We heard the Bezzer trying to attract our attention, so we headed to Randy's office. Look at the view out the window. Not many have such a view from their work place.

Attachments

• R #125 Office view.JPG
    R #125 Office view.JPG
    255.4 KB · Views: 202
  • R #126 Office view.JPG
    R #126 Office view.JPG
    246.6 KB · Views: 209
This Cocothrinax is next main court yard entrance. I inquired if this Coccothrinax clustered or if it was planted as a double. There is only one Coocothrinax species that clusters. Randy said he has had it in the pot for years and can't remember. Looking closely at the base, you just can't tell.

Attachments

• R #127 Coccothr.JPG
    R #127 Coccothr.JPG
    262.5 KB · Views: 195
  • R #128 Coccothr.JPG
    R #128 Coccothr.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 197
This is an interesting palm. Randy may have said that it was another Hydriastele just could not recall the species. Whatever it is, the coloring on the petioles was simply outstanding.

Attachments

• R #138 Hyd.JPG
    R #138 Hyd.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 217
  • R #139 Hydr.JPG
    R #139 Hydr.JPG
    236 KB · Views: 202
This is the last photo from Randy's garden, Arenga hookeriana.

We were waiting for our mutual friend Ricky (fawnridge on this forum) to arrive. We needed to give him the crotons that are to be donated to the Palm Beach Zoo project. Mike made a call to his buddy Pete Balasky to see if it was OK to stop by. Pete was working out back with his palm collection and invited us over.

Saying goodbye to our gracious host, we loaded up the SUV and headed to Southwest Ranches, Florida. The search for the Dypsis heteromorpha was about to be realized. Phase III of our PRA was to commence!

Attachments

• R #140 Arenga Hook.JPG
    R #140 Arenga Hook.JPG
    269 KB · Views: 207
We arrived at the Balasky Dypsis Ranch @11:15 am. Still overcast and very humid. The temperature was still around a comfortable 76 F. We inquired about the infamous Dypsis heteromorpha. Pete said that he was given seed from Alfred over ten years ago. As the years rolled by their numbers diminished. This is the only one he has left from Alfred's seed. It appears to be a heavily clustering palm.

Attachments

• P #1 Dypsis heteromorpha.JPG
    P #1 Dypsis heteromorpha.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 210
  • P #2 Dypsis heteromorpha.JPG
    P #2 Dypsis heteromorpha.JPG
    267.7 KB · Views: 207
  • P #3 Dypsis heteromorpha.JPG
    P #3 Dypsis heteromorpha.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 194
  • P #4 Dypsis heteromorpha.JPG
    P #4 Dypsis heteromorpha.JPG
    270.3 KB · Views: 181
  • P #5 Dypsis heteromorpha.JPG
    P #5 Dypsis heteromorpha.JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 206
  • P #6 Dypsis heteromorpha.JPG
    P #6 Dypsis heteromorpha.JPG
    275.3 KB · Views: 213
It was a pleasure having you guys visit. I'll see if I can help Moose with the names.

Good up until here;

Post #47 Cyphophoenix elegans
#50 Chambeyronia houilou
#53 Calyptrocalyx hollrungii
#54 The top 1' of the new spear started to dry out. I pulled it apart & was surprised to find a Banana Moth larvae. I curt the spear a half inch below the damage & it appears to be recovering.
#55 Kentiopsis pyriformis
#56 Dypsis ?
#57 Lanonia dysanthia (new name)
#59 Dypsis cabadae

More soon

Ok #62 Drymophloeus oliviformis
#63 Chambeyronia houilou
#64 Pinanga riparia
#65 Same C houilou as #63
#66 Dypsis plumosa & Dictyosperma album var. conjugatum
#75 Coccothrinax Any ideas?
#76 Hydriastele beguinii 'obi form'
#77 Calyptrogyne ghiesbreghtiana
#79 Iguanura wallichiana
#81 Yup
#86 Calyptrocalyx sp. 'mara'
#87 Yes H. beguinii (I have a few of these. A tough entire leaf beauty)
#90 Chameodoria oblongata
#92 Pelegodoxa henriana
#95 Pinanga kuhli
#98 Coccothrinax alexandri

Very nice gardens indeed! Thanks Ron for taking the time to post. I would certainly liked to have gone, but being it was New Year's Day, maybe the next time you guys could schedule it NOT so early.

Wow! Great garden with lots of color and variety. Looks like a lot of palms that are not supposed to grow in Florida too. Nice job Randy and thanks for posting Moose.

This Cocothrinax is next main court yard entrance. I inquired if this Coccothrinax clustered or if it was planted as a double. There is only one Coocothrinax species that clusters. Randy said he has had it in the pot for years and can't remember. Looking closely at the base, you just can't tell.

Did a bit of checking, Coccothrinax pseudorigida may be the only Coccothrinax species that clusters (suckers multiple stems).

This is an unidentified Dypsis species in Pete's collection. The emergent red leaf is beginning to fade to green. I'm sure it looked spectacular a couple of weeks earlier.

Attachments

• P #7 Dypsis sp..JPG
    P #7 Dypsis sp..JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 213
  • P #8 Dypsis sp..JPG
    P #8 Dypsis sp..JPG
    279.6 KB · Views: 204
  • P #9 Dypsis sp..JPG
    P #9 Dypsis sp..JPG
    259.5 KB · Views: 196
Another of Pete's unidentified Dypsis. The spear leaves and younger rachis have interesting color. On some of the older petioles scales and a glacous bloom was found. Curious if the leaf shape will remain as this palm matures?

Attachments

• P #10 Dypsis sp..JPG
    P #10 Dypsis sp..JPG
    259.7 KB · Views: 215
  • P #11 Dypsis sp..JPG
    P #11 Dypsis sp..JPG
    276.5 KB · Views: 205
  • P #12 Dypsis sp..JPG
    P #12 Dypsis sp..JPG
    267.1 KB · Views: 200
My first thoughts upon seeing this palm was Dypsis psammophila. Pete said that this is in fact Dypsis arenarum. My impression was that Dypsis arenarum looked more like Dypsis lutescens. After reviewing Palms of Madagascar pages 212-218 this palm could very well be Dypsis arenarum.

John Dransfield states in POM: "Differs from D. lutescens (which occurs in the same localities, in the same habitat) in the longer petiole, smaller number leaflets, the longer petals and the more robust rachillae; the inflorescence branches to 2 orders, while in D. lutescens it usually branches to 3 orders (but occasionally to 2 orders). From D. psammophila it differs in the generally larger leaves (petiole, rachis, leaflets) with many scattered scales, the much longer prophyll and stouter rachillae."

Attachments

• P #13 Dypsis arenarum.JPG
    P #13 Dypsis arenarum.JPG
    267.9 KB · Views: 198
  • P #15 Dypsis arenarum.JPG
    P #15 Dypsis arenarum.JPG
    276.2 KB · Views: 203
  • P #14 Dypsis arenarum.JPG
    P #14 Dypsis arenarum.JPG
    259 KB · Views: 217
Unsure is this is a Dypsis or Ravenea. The petiole base looks more Ravenea like but the blunt leaflet tips and terminal leaflets do not. I remember talking about a Ravenea krociana at one point that morning. :confused:

Attachments

• P #16 Dypsis sp..JPG
    P #16 Dypsis sp..JPG
    277.2 KB · Views: 224
This is a in the ground unidentified Dypsis sp. Looks like its one of the large heeled Dypsis biggies starting to get its mojo going.

Attachments

• P #22 Dypsis sp.JPG
    P #22 Dypsis sp.JPG
    281.3 KB · Views: 213
  • P #23 Dypsis sp.JPG
    P #23 Dypsis sp.JPG
    272.4 KB · Views: 192
  • P #24 Dypsis sp.JPG
    P #24 Dypsis sp.JPG
    264.4 KB · Views: 201