Just Finshed a Croton Planting Project

And lastly - one I found growing as a sport at an old Coral Gables home, Yellow Golden Glow :p

Attachments

• New Yellow Golden Glow.JPG
    New Yellow Golden Glow.JPG
    281.4 KB · Views: 115
And finally the new additions: This is tagged as Ann Rutherford. It came from a cutting of a cutting that Jeff Searle had in his garden as Ann Rutherford. Becuase it started exhibiting orange (which Ann Rutherford does not have) - that ID was nixed. Some say that it is a Kentucky, but I am not 100% convinced. Only time may tell ... :confused:

Updated photo from last night

Attachments

• New Ann Rutherford.JPG
    New Ann Rutherford.JPG
    351.8 KB · Views: 111
Next is Bravo that came from Marie Nock. This croton was tucked away and forgotten. It was very stretched out and under potted. Marie gave it too me as a reclamation project since she had way too many other plants to deal with. It has filled out and looks happy that its in the ground! :eek:

Attachments

• New Bravo.JPG
    New Bravo.JPG
    304.5 KB · Views: 112
Next up is one from Mike (Bullwinkle) that is tagged as Cardinal. It was in a shaded area and lacks significant color. Don't remember when I got this from Mike, but it has been a bit of time. Definitely not very fast. It has moved a bit since planting and hopefully with more sun exposure it will color up nicely. :)

Attachments

• New Cardinal.JPG
    New Cardinal.JPG
    338.5 KB · Views: 112
And here is another from Mike (Bullwinkle) tagged as Chief. Randy saw it already planted out and he said it "don't look my "Chief". Jeff Searle saw this same croton back in mid November while it was still in the container. He said it was not a Chief as well. "Ron - that croton looks way better than a Chief".

Attachments

• New Chief 1.JPG
    New Chief 1.JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 115
This was a recent acquisition from Lamar (Native Son) at our last garden tour function, Excellent. I already have one but the surrounding plants have grown so much that it is very shaded and difficult to see. This was such a robust thick stemmed plant that I could not pass it up. Now I am gonna see what Excellent will look like with much more sun exposure. ;)

Attachments

• New Excellent.JPG
    New Excellent.JPG
    353.7 KB · Views: 107
This may be a very variable cultivar, Mango. Randy told me he has three and they all look different. This particular plant garnered a first place blue ribbon at the Tropical Fern and Exotic Plant Society Show last Spring. I got it as a 4" rooted cutting from Jeff Searle. :eek:

Attachments

• New Mango.JPG
    New Mango.JPG
    300 KB · Views: 115
This one came from Randy (palmisland), Montoya Circle. It exhibits lots of nice pink colors with proper lighting. It ended up in too much shade so hopefuly it will start showing the hot pinks again with more sun. Randy named this croton Montoya Circle because it is the street name (in Boca Raton?) where he found it. Has yet to have anyone be able to ID it as any known cultivar. The Momma plant is in horrible condition reported by Randy.

Attachments

• New Montoya Circle.JPG
    New Montoya Circle.JPG
    308.3 KB · Views: 110
Ron, Mango is one of my top faves. I have four and I see at least two different looks to them. I will say that the one I got from Cleo is the best of the bunch.

Another of the new additions. This croton was streched out and in too much shade. For some reason (and I can not think of any legitimate one), I thought it to be a Nestor. Randy saw it and thought no way. Neither of us could figure out what other potential ID could be attached. We came up blank - any ideas ? :confused:

An updated photo of Sunrise - thanks Marie

Attachments

• New Sunrise.JPG
    New Sunrise.JPG
    330.1 KB · Views: 124
Another new addition is a NOID from Mike (Bullwinkle) It was a slow grower in the container. The leaves are a dark purple to almost black with nice large pink flecks. I look forward to watching this one to develope and obtain some size. :)

Updated photo taken two nights ago

Attachments

• New NOID.JPG
    New NOID.JPG
    308.8 KB · Views: 104
Ron, Mango is one of my top faves. I have four and I see at least two different looks to them. I will say that the one I got from Cleo is the best of the bunch.
My best Mango and one of the other not so nice. All growing in 1/2 day sun. L:):)king sweet for late Jan.

Attachments

• IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0336.jpg
    IMG_0336.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 102

I also got a 4" Mango from Jeff the same day & mine looks different than yours in post #48 :confused: go figure. This the same 4" as yours. Perfect example of same plant, different conditions. (pic taken 11/2012)

Attachments

• DSC_0056.jpg
    DSC_0056.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 119
Here are some updated photos of "the project" a year later.

Attachments

• Project 1.JPG
    Project 1.JPG
    279.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Project 2.JPG
    Project 2.JPG
    278.6 KB · Views: 120
  • Project 3.JPG
    Project 3.JPG
    265.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Project 4.JPG
    Project 4.JPG
    283.1 KB · Views: 114
  • Project 5.JPG
    Project 5.JPG
    251.8 KB · Views: 115
A few more shots from this morning ... :)

Attachments

• Project 6.JPG
    Project 6.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Project 7.JPG
    Project 7.JPG
    253.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Project 8.JPG
    Project 8.JPG
    275.1 KB · Views: 109
  • Project 9.JPG
    Project 9.JPG
    254.5 KB · Views: 110
  • Project 10.JPG
    Project 10.JPG
    278.8 KB · Views: 121
Wow! Very impressive Ron. Things have really grown since we last visited the Mooseland. Maybe it's time for another look-see. Good job. Marnie