Orange Supreme ?

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
There is a name listed in the Wiki, Orange Supreme. Quite frankly I have never heard of this cultivar and the only reference is that the name is listed in the Wiki. Does anyone know the origins of this croton (name)? Is anyone growing it? Can anyone post a photo? Is it a synomon for another recognized named variety? :confused:

Someone took the time to list it in the Wiki, the must be some kind of info. :p

Can anyone shed any light about this croton?

I say, if there's no picture, no info, no one stepping up with any info, no nothing, delete the name at this time. If any time in the near future somebody wants to add this name again, hopefully with a picture, it's that easy. But IMO, just names in the Wiki is really senseless!

Hmmmm, Orange Supreme is refered to in the Christian Papers. May be going by a different name now or this may be another lost cultivar.

Does anyone know the approximate date that the Christian Papers were written? :confused:

i actually bought a plant 2 years ago as a orange supreme , slow grower though it was in a 1 gal i now have it in a 3 gal will take pictures . Plant cuttings came from Jensen bch

i actually bought a plant 2 years ago as a orange supreme , slow grower though it was in a 1 gal i now have it in a 3 gal will take pictures . Plant cuttings came from Jensen bch

it actually has more pinks and reds than orange !!! it doesnt get a lot of direct sunlight tho .

Orange supreme ... when it was transplanted to a 3 gal from a 1 gal it showed more pinkish orange , but now boom the oranges are here . It is even brighter than the pictures show , best oranges ive ever seen ...colors match a tangerine

Attachments

• 058.jpg
    058.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 060.jpg
    060.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 270
  • 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 177
  • 063.jpg
    063.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 253
Not the Wiki authority here but why not? The Orange Supreme name lingered on the list in the Wiki for years with no details. Now we got a photo! This croton was mentioned in the Christian Papers. Whose to say that David does not have the true Orange Supreme. Seems to fit the brief description - which is all we have. My opinion (which matters little) is do it. The beauty of the Wiki is that it can always be amended.

David - that is a fabulous looking croton! It rivals many of the orangey cultivars. Thanks for posting! :cool:

Tim and Ron - let me throw a wrinkle in here. Based on the Christian papers, the leaf shape is wrong and the leaf tip does not flare out like Irregularis (Multicolor). To me it looks a lot like what is pictured in Brown's book as His Royal Highness p. 74. Now I'm not sure if that picture is accurate because a few months ago I acquired His Royal Highness from a very knowledgeable croton person and the leaf shape is different from the one pictured in the book. As Phil says, "Onward through the fog."

I agree with Marie. Based on the Christian papers that is not Orange Supreme.

Seems as tho the Christian papers are either wrong or our descriptions are wrong on lots of different plants ,so i think we should slow down on this being the bible of descriptions . and drawings ......... take a look at weismanii and Edwin Meridith i believe there descriptions are backwards .... or are we wrong , i have both and acording to my names they are backwards .........YOU ARE AWFULL QUICK to tell someone that a plant that you have never seen, or sounds like anyone has seen is not real , I dont even know that . but some old person put that tag on it , and i got it . I was sceptical at first but posted about it back maybe 4 months ago , it seemed to me to be more of a pinkish orange color ,but plants low and behold start changing colors with the seasons .ill post one more pic of my plant .

Attachments

• 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 153
  • 046.jpg
    046.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 158
  • 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 165
  • 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 145
  • 060.jpg
    060.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 178
Seems as tho the Christian papers are either wrong or our descriptions are wrong on lots of different plants ,so i think we should slow down on this being the bible of descriptions . and drawings ......... take a look at weismanii and Edwin Meridith i believe there descriptions are backwards .... or are we wrong , i have both and acording to my names they are backwards .........YOU ARE AWFULL QUICK to tell someone that a plant that you have never seen, or sounds like anyone has seen is not real , I dont even know that . but some old person put that tag on it , and i got it . I was sceptical at first but posted about it back maybe 4 months ago , it seemed to me to be more of a pinkish orange color ,but plants low and behold start changing colors with the seasons .ill post one more pic of my plant .
David, I grow Edwin Meridith and the description in the Christion papers is right on. Leaves are 12", 13" and a few 14" long and 1 1/2" wide.
IMG_3886.jpgIMG_3889.jpgIMG_3888.jpgIMG_3890.jpg

Oh my goodness, David, that plant looks great with the other white/variegated crotons. The contrast really shows off the colors of both. I'd love to have a section in our forum/wiki for photos of beautiful groupings of crotons. Just to give ideas of great combinations and looks. Thanks.:)

I agree not orange supreme
quit whining you sound like dave butler

I got your whining ..... I dont have a right to my opinion! and you do.I thought this was discussion forum !!!! But to base your opinion on a75 or 100 year old paper does not make everything rite .When i read the papers the descriptions and mostly the colors dont match at all , (ORANGE SUPREmE) DESCRIPTION bright green with midrib and veins marginated (YELLOW) and leaf description P which is not at all the same ... AND maybe thats not what this plant is . but i CAN read and thats what the label has printed on it. ...............and who to hell is Dave Butler. Because my name is David now im Dave Butler .I work Dam hard on my plants and have been doing it for a long time .over 30 years .DAVID KING

David, I grow Edwin Meridith and the description in the Christion papers is right on. Leaves are 12", 13" and a few 14" long and 1 1/2" wide.

Just saying the descriptions of the edwin Meridith 1 1/2 x 12 and the ( Weismanii 1 x 10 states it is simular but smaller ) But the Weismanii is definatly longer than the Edwin Meridith Not saying yours is not 1 1/2 x 12 i can see that by your pics Im saying the weismanii is the larger of the two by 2 inches I have both pics to compare

Attachments

• 004.PNG
    004.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 153
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 153
  • 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 139.jpg
    139.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 155
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 138
David do not feed the trolls,they keep coming back for more food.

I got your whining ..... I dont have a right to my opinion! and you do.I thought this was discussion forum !!!! But to base your opinion on a75 or 100 year old paper does not make everything rite .When i read the papers the descriptions and mostly the colors dont match at all , (ORANGE SUPREmE) DESCRIPTION bright green with midrib and veins marginated (YELLOW) and leaf description P which is not at all the same ... AND maybe thats not what this plant is . but i CAN read and thats what the label has printed on it. ...............and who to hell is Dave Butler. Because my name is David now im Dave Butler .I work Dam hard on my plants and have been doing it for a long time .over 30 years .DAVID KING

I agree not orange supreme
quit whining you sound like dave butler

Mr. D - I have held my tongue several times when viewing your snarky posts. Bullwinkle is correct that ignoring you is probably the appropriate approach.

Your goading towards Fawnridge in the past was uncalled for. Ricky can handle himself, so I withheld my feelings. Many on this forum have been honored guests at Ricky's garden. His hospitality has filled our bellies with excellent food & drink on multiple occasions. I assure you that your "comments" were not well received.

As for Mr. King, you've stepped over the line referring to him as a whiner. Having had the opportunity to meet him, you are way off base. The man spends many, many hours running his small business. Collecting and cultivating wonderful plants are probably his stress relief from the demands of that business. You don't know him and your comments are best left to yourself.

There are many "lurkers" on this forum that never sign on and contribute. Perhaps many do not because they feel intimidated. Your history of posts does not help. I've encounter many "lurkers", especially women, fearful of ridicule if they posted. We want to encourage participation - not scare them off.

Creeping around in the shadows, making guerilla attacks, then to withdraw again appears to be your modus operandi. This provides nothing positive or constructive for what is trying to be achieved here. I urge you to take a curative and new tone on your future posts or convene to another forum. Perhaps Crotonmania would be more conducive to your style.

Its suppose to be all about the plants!

Orange supreme ... when it was transplanted to a 3 gal from a 1 gal it showed more pinkish orange , but now boom the oranges are here . It is even brighter than the pictures show , best oranges ive ever seen ...colors match a tangerine
Orange Supreme ... His Royal Highness .. NOID whoever it is shes looking better yet ... Leaves 10 inches Like a mini faters Day...
006.JPG

Have always wondered about the Key West croton...... but yet no picture..... can someone fill me in on that??