Overcast day

annafl

Esteemed Member
We've had several overcast days and I went outside with my camera to shoot some of my young'uns. I thought I'd give Ron and Randy an opportunity to name some of my crotons since they were so nice to give me several opportunities in the past:rolleyes:. Anyone else that wants to is welcome to also:). I realize most of my plants are small. Numbers 6 and 7 are the same plant.

Attachments

• DSC_0456.jpg
    DSC_0456.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC_0458.jpg
    DSC_0458.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC_0460.jpg
    DSC_0460.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC_0461.jpg
    DSC_0461.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC_0462.jpg
    DSC_0462.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC_0463.jpg
    DSC_0463.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC_0465.jpg
    DSC_0465.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC_0467.jpg
    DSC_0467.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC_0468.jpg
    DSC_0468.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_0471.jpg
    DSC_0471.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 127
A few more just to reciprocate fairly:p.

Attachments

• DSC_0474.jpg
    DSC_0474.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_0477.jpg
    DSC_0477.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC_0480.jpg
    DSC_0480.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC_0481.jpg
    DSC_0481.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC_0483.jpg
    DSC_0483.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_0484.jpg
    DSC_0484.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_0487.jpg
    DSC_0487.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC_0490.jpg
    DSC_0490.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC_0494.jpg
    DSC_0494.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC_0496.jpg
    DSC_0496.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 114
Beautiful fotos Ann...shooting fotos on an overcast day pays off. The CROTON colors are more true than with a flash. By the way...what a stunning and peaceful pond you have in your garden!!! I enjoyed your pix...keep on shooting on cloudy days or in open shade areas whenever possible. :D

Wow Anna,your Stoplight is spectacular !! Your Captain Gilbert is looking great also :)

We've had several overcast days and I went outside with my camera to shoot some of my young'uns. I thought I'd give Ron and Randy an opportunity to name some of my crotons since they were so nice to give me several opportunities in the past:rolleyes:. Anyone else that wants to is welcome to also:). I realize most of my plants are small. Numbers 6 and 7 are the same plant.

Thanks, Robertico! The pond is just a lined 45-50 foot pond we put in 8 years ago, but its really become almost naturalized, and a source of joy for us. All kinds of creatures use it for different purposes.

Thanks, Mike! I'm really proud of that Stoplight. When I got it about a year and a half to two, it was mostly green and black. It now puts out incredible color and I love going past it. The Captain has been slow to put out leaves this year, but now seems to be waking up a bit.

Ana

Yes that is a great plant.When I lived at my old house in Davie.No matter how many "rare" crotons that I had in my yard whenever newbies came over they always said my Stoplight was their favorite plant in the yard.In my opinion, it is the best croton out there when it is in good color.

Thanks, Robertico! The pond is just a lined 45-50 foot pond we put in 8 years ago, but its really become almost naturalized, and a source of joy for us. All kinds of creatures use it for different purposes.

Thanks, Mike! I'm really proud of that Stoplight. When I got it about a year and a half to two, it was mostly green and black. It now puts out incredible color and I love going past it. The Captain has been slow to put out leaves this year, but now seems to be waking up a bit.

Ana

Post #1

Photo #1 General Lawrence
Photo #2 Carmen Christian
Photo #3 Lyratum
Photo #4 difficult to discern leaf size, plant appears rather young. If I have to guess, Gonzalez that was exposed to some very bright sun at some point.
Photo #5 W. F. Dreer?
Photo #6 & 7 Norman Rockwell
Photo #8 A huge Claude Lorraine
Photo #9 Mrs. Iceton
Photo #10 Big Stoplight

Post #2

Photo #1 Royal Flush
Photo #2 Not enough detail, Buddy perhaps?
Photo #3 Duke of Windsor
Photo #4 Congo
Photo #5 Nervia
Photo #6 Yet to color up Tiger Eye or Embassy
Photo #7 Pond w/ Copernicia macroglossa (left), Kentiopsis olivformis (right)
Photo #8 Davis #1
Photo #9 Captain Gilbert Cutler
Photo #10 just not enough there to make a positive ID. Looks like it wants to become a semi oak leaf shape. :confused:

Post #1

Photo #1 General Lawrence MONS FLORINS?
Photo #2 Carmen Christian OK
Photo #3 Lyratum UH PHILADELPHIA?
Photo #4 difficult to discern leaf size, plant appears rather young. If I have to guess, Gonzalez that was exposed to some very bright sun at some point. DUNNO
Photo #5 W. F. Dreer? CONFETTI
Photo #6 & 7 Norman Rockwell YES
Photo #8 A huge Claude Lorraine YUP
Photo #9 Mrs. Iceton YES
Photo #10 Big Stoplight YES

Post #2

Photo #1 Royal Flush OOOO, COULD BE
Photo #2 Not enough detail, Buddy perhaps? TOUGH ONE
Photo #3 Duke of Windsor OK
Photo #4 Congo COULD BE
Photo #5 Nervia YES
Photo #6 Yet to color up Tiger Eye or Embassy EMBASSY LEAF SHAPE
Photo #7 Pond w/ Copernicia macroglossa (left), Kentiopsis olivformis (right) :p
Photo #8 Davis #1 OK
Photo #9 Captain Gilbert Cutler AGREED
Photo #10 just not enough there to make a positive ID. Looks like it wants to become a semi oak leaf shape. :confused:
:confused:

Nice plants Ana. :cool: I love your lake. How'd we do?

Anna, your crotons look great, and your pond area really had me impressed. Love that C. macroglossa in the background! Hopefully someday I'll get to visit your property and see all that is has to offer. Thanks for the pics.

Thanks so much, Marie, Jeff and Randy! My little ones are coming along.

Here's the names:

1-Mons Florin
2-Sturrock's Pink Veitchii
3-Unknown from Phil, but I saw one I thought was the same at the Searle sale-Earl of Derby? What do you all think? Jeff do you know?
4-Applause
5-Confetti
6-7Unknown from Keith-I love this little plant. It gives good color year round. I think the leaf shape and the mature leaves look close to Exeter or Norwood Beauty? It is in loads of sun and takes it well. Anyone else have any ideas? Sorry I did not put some scale in the photo. I think the leaves are shorter and narrower than Norman Rockwell, but I've never seen a NR so I don't know for sure. I think mine's leaves measure 6-8 inches to the tip without the petiole.
8-Claude Lorraine-Been in the ground 7-8 years. My first croton on this property and has never balked at any winter-didn't hardly drop a leaf in winter of 2010. This plant was my inspiration to look for more crotons and then I found all of you!
9-Clump of Mrs. Iceton. Still one of my favorites
10-My grateful Stoplight
1-Unknown- This plant also gives me great color. Was bought as a Gloriosa. I think it resembles Royal Flush, but it does seem a little more veined. Anyone else have other ideas?
2-Buddy
3-General Marshall
4-Congo
5-Nervia
6-Embassy
7-Yes to palms!
8-Unknown- Got this as Moonglow a bit over a year ago I think. It was full of scale and I made the mistake of treating it with oil. Completely defoliated. Is coming back, but I think it's different than my Davis 1. Petioles were always shorter and have some pink. Texture of the leaves is quite a bit thicker. I found it at an old nursery that is not very reliable with names.
9-Captain Gilbert Cutler
10-Victory- old Cleo. ID'd by Bob Alonzo at the Glock's meeting

Hey, thanks for being good sports, Ron and Randy. You did well considering there were four unknowns in there!

Hi Ann...the CROTON (your post #1 foto #3), is a “dead-ringer” for PHILADELPHIA as described in the CHRISTIAN PAPERS below. The PHILADELPHIAS I normally run into in my “wanderings in-country” will also often display a reddish to purplish petiole.

“Type Q, 2-1/2" x 7", - Generally one side lobe is pointed and the other rounded. Ground color is bright green. Generally the midrib is irregularly margined yellow and leaf dotted and splashed yellow. A very effective oak leaf. Never shows and red traits.”

REF: Paper prepared by Wm. A. Geiger in collaboration with Mr. Christian of the Christian Nursery, Mr. Van der Lean and Mr. George L. Peacock. p.13.

Note to Ann...I will be sending you a few fotos of PHILADELPHIA in my next post of COSTA RICA CROTON WANDERINGS-THE MANY FACES OF PHILADELPHIA. :D

Thanks, Randy and Robertico! You two called it! Philadelphia it is- I will tag it tomorrow. I thought if I posted some of these unknowns, maybe someone would recognize one. I hope Phil sees this since I got the plant from him. Thanks again. :cool:

Anna, your pond is beautiful. I can easily picture Claude Monet busy at work doing a painting of it, like he did of ones in France.

Not to be a cold water drench but the plant above is not Philadelphia. Philadelphia has very little shape variation from leaf to leaf and more importantly, reddish undersides to the leaves. They are similar but think most of you will agree it's not the same plant.

From the Crotons.net website, here's Philadelphia:

Waaay up top - post #1, pic 3 looks a lot more like Quirko (aka Turkey Foot) than Philadelphia as pictured in Robertico's thread. My whoops somewhere here since I do not recall giving away a Quirko since mine nearly died but have given away Philadelphias as green and yellow unknowns.
clearing with a bit of patch fog...

Well, how do we explain the perfect description of my plant and Robertico's plants and Randy's tagged plant with the Christian Papers? In particular, about one leaf lobe being rounded while the other is pointed, and about there being no red in the cultivar? This is a very historic paper that we've believed in the past, are we now saying that it's wrong, favoring crotons.net? Ray, I don't see any leaves in your example with the said above description. Please explain why we should go with this website's example over the others.:rolleyes:

Ana is correct. The Christian Papers states on Philadelphia "never shows any red traits" Mmmmmmmmmmm No red on mine! Why do you say the photo on Crotons.net is correct?

I have Robertico's same plant in my garden. When Bob A. visited here in 2009, I had several plants that needed identification. This plant in question was one of them. Perry Edge and I thought it was Earl of Derby from the first book's description. Bob said EoD is the original name for Mrs. Fred Sanders. There went that possibility. I asked if it was a Lyratum with more defined shoulders or Philadelphia and he said definitively no. I wrote down notes that day which is why the details are so readily available. Keep in mind, General Paget doesn't have any red in its description but I've seen clones with reddish/brown leaf undersides. In my notes about Philadelphia, it also says a "small, definite oak leaf (very little variation) similar to a yellow and green version of Norwood Beauty". Norwood Beauty NEVER puts out leaves even remotely resembling a semi oak and the shape is consistent from leaf to leaf. This mystery plant isn't a true oak leaf. It does more funky semi-oak stuff than anything else and no two leaves look the same.

I'd love to close the book on this one too. It has baffled me for a long time but there's too much conflicting info (IMHO) for a positive ID.

Anna, Rays post above may give a little more insight on recent discussions.

Thanks, Scott. Twice he's said Bob Alonzo feels Fred Sander and Earl of Derby are the same. Bob may know something we don't. I won't remove the comment about Earl of Derby being synonymous with Fred Sander but I'll put it under Fred Sander and remove the Mrs. I hope everyone agrees with this. I think we've solved most of the puzzle, just a few pieces remain. It would be nice to solve the mystery about that plant many thought was Philadelphia since many of us have it. Maybe we can invite Bob Alonzo to our fall meeting/auction?

NOID..... kinda looks like your 6 and 7 , but i dont know the name
017.JPG
018.JPG

Nice, David. Very similar, but mine I think has less blotching and more veining? David, now you're going to make me get up and go look. My plant has gotten bigger and I should take a photo of it.
Could be the same . Is that an older pic ?