Breaking World News!

Jackie G

22/09/09
The Moose, our Moose, also known as Ron Kiefert, was just elected by unanimous vote, the next President of the Tropical Fern and Exotic Plant Society. Wow, way to go Moose or should I say Mr. President?

What's the world coming too. I'm sure the society will be heading in a totally new direction. LOL Congrats Ron

Congratulations Ron, I'm sorry to have missed the meeting, but heard that it was a good one. I hope that you enjoy the presidency as much as I did in these past two years. TFEPS is a great society and you'll find them to be a wonderful group of people to work with. Again, Congratulations. Marnie

:cool:
picresized_1385517345_moose.jpg

There couldn't be a more qualified man for the job. Ron I know that you passion for sharing plants, information and experience will be invaluable to the society. Good for you!

Congratulations Moose, I can't think of anyone more qualified than you to be President of The Tropical Fern and Exotic Plant Society. Any organization should be privileged, having you aboard. You pretty much proved your capabilities, with all you that you have contributed to The Croton Society. I recall the time you painstakingly planted, what seemed like a zillion croton cuttings, rooted them and donated them to The Croton Society Auction. In my opinion, you are the Unofficial President of This Forum. There are many wonderful and faithful contributors that are deeply appreciated and keep it going. However, you have gone somewhat above and beyond that. For instance, I'm sure I'm not the only one, that has noticed when participation here slows way down, you go out to your garden, come back in and post a series of beautiful croton pictures, using interesting titles, like "It's on Fire", "Color My World" and so on. By the way, can Randy ( Palmisland) be your Unofficial Vice President of this forum? Were it not for the two of you, we wouldn't have all the candid shots of the recent Glock Event etc. etc. Thank-you, Mr. President...

Thank you for all your kind words. Hopefully I will be able to live up to the expectations.

My first meeting as Pres. is coming up Jan. 27th - and we have a splendid presentation by Georgia Tasker scheduled. You should really try to work this into your calendar.

Here is the info:

Tropical Fern and Exotic Plant Society
Meeting January 27, 2014
The Botanical Riches of Ecuador
The Tropical Fern & Exotic Plant Society presents Georgia Tasker who will speak on The Botanical Riches of Ecuador on Monday, January 27th at 7:30 pm. The meeting will take place at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, 10901 Old Cutler Rd., Coral Gables, FL in the Corbin Building.
Georgia Tasker is a writer on staff at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Gardens. She writes for The Tropical Garden magazine, has a blog on gardening on Fairchild’s website, and has written 3 handbooks in her on-going series, Gardening with Fairchild. She is also a passionate traveler, having been to the Arctic and the Antarctic, Madagascar, Africa, Borneo, Papua New Guinea, Myanmar, India, Bhutan, Nepal, Australia, China, Japan, all of Europe, Central America and much of South America. In this talk she will follow a small group of plant geeks as they explore Ecuador on their summer vacation.
Prior to joining the Garden staff in 2009, Georgia was garden writer with The Miami Herald and author of 3 garden books. She is a graduate of Hanover College in Indiana and received the first certificate in tropical botany from FIU in 1984. She has been awarded the Barbour Medal from Fairchild and the first lifetime achievement award from Tropical Audubon Society.
There is no admission fee and the public is invited to attend this presentation. There will be plants donated by Fantastic Ferns (Frank and Sally Tastinger) for Raffle. Refreshments will be served. For more information please visit www.tfeps.org or call 305 232-2257.

If you did not attend this meeting, you missed a real good one.

Georgia Tasker's presentation was exceptional!

Frank and Sally Tastinger from Fantastic Ferns really out did themselves on the plants donated for the raffle table. Most notable were the hard to find Platycerium superbum & wandae. These are both monster stag horn ferns. They are rare as they do not form pups. They must be propagated from spores. The sizes that were donated were 4-5 years old.

The big raffle plant was another stagg horn, Platycerium ellisii. What a rare beauty! Another non-pupping species that must be propagated spores. This eye catching fern has light green color with dark green veining.

Richard & Delores Button also generously donated a Brownea grandiflores that was in bloom.

It was decided at the meeting that permanent name tags would be made for the next meeting. There were a few in attendance that were wearing their old ones. The Society has no place at Fairchild to store the tags, so it will be up to the members to bring them to every meeting. This will help me and others to help remember names. I am still relatively new to this Society, and do not know a lot of people's names, but I remember their faces. To entice compliance of wearing the name tags, I will be donating a free plant for each meeting that will only get raffled to those who show up wearing their members badge.

Thanks to all that attended. The hospitality committee did their usual stellar offerings. There were 64 at the meeting with plenty of food for everyone!

Ron :)

If you did not attend this meeting, you missed a real good one.

Georgia Tasker's presentation was exceptional!

Frank and Sally Tastinger from Fantastic Ferns really out did themselves on the plants donated for the raffle table. Most notable were the hard to find Platycerium superbum & wandae. These are both monster stag horn ferns. They are rare as they do not form pups. They must be propagated from spores. The sizes that were donated were 4-5 years old.

The big raffle plant was another stagg horn, Platycerium ellisii. What a rare beauty! Another non-pupping species that must be propagated spores. This eye catching fern has light green color with dark green veining.

Richard & Delores Button also generously donated a Brownea grandiflores that was in bloom.

It was decided at the meeting that permanent name tags would be made for the next meeting. There were a few in attendance that were wearing their old ones. The Society has no place at Fairchild to store the tags, so it will be up to the members to bring them to every meeting. This will help me and others to help remember names. I am still relatively new to this Society, and do not know a lot of people's names, but I remember their faces. To entice compliance of wearing the name tags, I will be donating a free plant for each meeting that will only get raffled to those who show up wearing their members badge.

Thanks to all that attended. The hospitality committee did their usual stellar offerings. There were 64 at the meeting with plenty of food for everyone!

Ron :)
Congratulations Ron. I have heard nothing but good things about your first meeting as president. I was so sorry to miss it, but this darned flu really got me in spite of the flu shot that should have prevented it. Georgia's talk got rave reviews and I can't hear enough about the wonderful raffle table that Frank & Sally provided. I spoke with the winner of the Wandae who is still on cloud nine. I even asked Gerry to buy me some raffle tickets, but luck was not with me and he came home enpty handed. A job well done with the meeting. Keep up the good work. Marnie

Ron,

It's good to hear that the transition has been nothing but smooth. It sounds like it was a great evening. I must make more of an effort to attend these meetings, it's just tough dealing with the rush hour traffic.

1 hour plus transit times make it tough for us up here in Southwest Broward :(

Ron,

It's good to hear that the transition has been nothing but smooth. It sounds like it was a great evening. I must make more of an effort to attend these meetings, it's just tough dealing with the rush hour traffic.