Air Layering Question

rpebinger

Having (hopefully) pulled off my first successful air layer a month or two ago - I am emboldened to ramp up such efforts when the spring warmth returns. A couple of questions popped into my noggin' while planning....

* Is there such a thing as too thick or too thin a branch to attempt an air layer on? Moreover - is there an ideal girth that yields the best result?

* Is it possible to air layer a branch of a potted croton? Will this yield too much of a set-back that would preclude the potted plant from having a successful air layer - or diminish the success rate because its potted?

Thank you all,

~ Rich

Rich - Rule number one with Croton airlayers is only work with gray wood. That having been said, I've done airlayers on branches that were just over a 1/4" and as large as nearly 2" with success. You might have to wait a bit longer with the really thick ones. And in answer to your second question, it doesn't matter if they are in the ground or in a pot as long as you follow rule number one.

Having (hopefully) pulled off my first successful air layer a month or two ago - I am emboldened to ramp up such efforts when the spring warmth returns. A couple of questions popped into my noggin' while planning....

* Is there such a thing as too thick or too thin a branch to attempt an air layer on? Moreover - is there an ideal girth that yields the best result?

* Is it possible to air layer a branch of a potted croton? Will this yield too much of a set-back that would preclude the potted plant from having a successful air layer - or diminish the success rate because its potted?

Thank you all,

~ Rich

* Answer: Too thick, too thin? I don't think so. Ideal girth? some cultivars produce roots at different rates, don't believe there is an ideal girth. I've made air layers on stems 1/2 the diameter of a No. 2 pencil. Had to stake the plants up from leaning over from the weight of air layer works. Chris Mayhew has actually made them on tiny branches - using a gum wrapper for the foil.