Color My World

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09

Attachments

• Color 1.JPG
    Color 1.JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 140
I gotta try. You've tempted me again. I just need to know.

1-Royal Flush
2-Sybil Griffin
3-White Ann Rutherford
4-Commotion
6-Inca
7-Sunny Star
8-Helen Edge? Leaves seem a little elongated- might be Pop's Yard
9-Prince of Orange
10-Oh yes, your White Monarch

I gotta try. You've tempted me again. I just need to know.

1-Royal Flush - a very happy Doris
2-Sybil Griffin - Cutler's Gulfstream - the rest of the plant don't look like this branch
3-White Ann Rutherford - yes
4-Commotion - yes
6-Inca - yes
7-Sunny Star - yes
8-Helen Edge? Leaves seem a little elongated- might be Pop's Yard - A recently planted Della McGhee
9-Prince of Orange - The Finest Unknown (found by Ray)
10-Oh yes, your White Monarch
- hmmmm, and Jeff says I don't have any trade bait :rolleyes:

Oooops! Well, I tried, and now I know the names. Beautiful plants, Ron. I can see how they color up your world.:) You could show us more if you'd like.:rolleyes: But please, include the names. I already made a fool of myself once today. Gotta draw the limit somewhere.

First, an apology to Chris. Chris, I don't know what happened. You know Doris is one of my very favorite crotons- so much so that I planted her so I could see her immediately once I stepped out my door. As a matter of fact, I can see her clearly from inside. I've had Royal Flush in the brain. I don't know how I didn't recognize your creation. I do love her. I hope it won't happen again.:(

In regards to my counting, I do know 5 comes after 4. However, Rich came on and made a comment on post 5 and there was no photo there, that's why 5 was skipped:p.

Now, today is another day and I guess my pride can take another blow, although I'm feeling pretty good about this one.

16-Exotica
17-Duke of Windsor
18-Victoria Gold Bells
19-Maryland
20-Pride of Winterhaven
21-Golden Glow
22-Lillian Stoffregen
23-Tiger Eye

Ron, I've got to say, these photos are amazing. They are so much better than any book I've ever seen and among the best to be recorded in the wiki. Please keep going, the colors are inspiring me with my crotons!

Anna, I'm sorry. I'm going to have to start paying more attention to who is writing the thread. I thought I was commenting on Ron's comments and not yours. I hope that's ok. I'm heading over to his house in a little bit and see what all the fuss is about.

I agree Chris, it looks like it has too much orang to be Royal Flush. Ron, where did you get this?

Jeff - from the original hybridizer, Mr. Mayhew. It was a small piece that was nurtured along for about two years. Since getting in the ground, it seems very happy rewarding any visitor with vibrant coloring. It is a Doris. :)

So I'll take a stab at it here,
16. Irresistable
17. ?
18.Victoria Gold Bells
19. Baron Le Compte
20. Pride of Winter Haven
21. Johanna Coppinger
22. Fishbone
23. ?

Anna, I'm sorry. I'm going to have to start paying more attention to who is writing the thread. I thought I was commenting on Ron's comments and not yours. I hope that's ok. I'm heading over to his house in a little bit and see what all the fuss is about.

Ha, ha ... he didn't even notice until I pointed it out to him Ana. He likes to be mean to the Moose. :eek:

Now he is coming over and yes fussing will ensue. Especially when he starts stomping on plants. Chris is used to crotons being in containers, he is not conditioned to walk amonst them in the ground without a "container guard ... LOL :D

First, an apology to Chris. Chris, I don't know what happened. You know Doris is one of my very favorite crotons- so much so that I planted her so I could see her immediately once I stepped out my door. As a matter of fact, I can see her clearly from inside. I've had Royal Flush in the brain. I don't know how I didn't recognize your creation. I do love her. I hope it won't happen again.:(

In regards to my counting, I do know 5 comes after 4. However, Rich came on and made a comment on post 5 and there was no photo there, that's why 5 was skipped:p.

Now, today is another day and I guess my pride can take another blow, although I'm feeling pretty good about this one.

16-Exotica - no
17-Duke of Windsor - yes
18-Victoria Gold Bells - yes
19-Maryland - yes
20-Pride of Winterhaven - yes
21-Golden Glow - yes
22-Lillian Stoffregen - no
23-Tiger Eye - no, leaves are larger than Tiger Eye, good educated guess

Ron, I've got to say, these photos are amazing. They are so much better than any book I've ever seen and among the best to be recorded in the wiki. Please keep going, the colors are inspiring me with my crotons!

Croton #5 was intentionally skipped. Sorry to confuse, I'll be posting it later in the thread.

So I'll take a stab at it here,
16. Irresistable - yes
17. ? - no its not a symbol like Prince, LOL :D
18.Victoria Gold Bells - yes
19. Baron Le Compte - debaitable, got it as Maryland. Some visitors have said your guess. The Baron is a bit slow and supposedly does not always color so well. I lean more towards the Maryland ID since its not very slow and colors up nicely.
20. Pride of Winter Haven - yes
21. Johanna Coppinger - no, its supposed to be a Golden Glow. They are very, very close to looking alike. You gotta closely examine one to see the thin line along the midrib of the leaf. Johanna has a wide blotch. That is what I was taught but we are talking about crotons here. Tim - I gave you an air layer from this plant.
22. Fishbone - yes
23. ? - no, not a symbol

;) Chris - don't go ripping on Tim now ... LOL :D

Well, worse than I thought again. Darn. I knew that fishbone, I just jumped to my initial gut feeling and didn't click on it to enlarge it. Really, I knew that one. I have one too.

Hey, guys, I was totally kidding and yanking your chain. I was surprised I would miss Doris, though, although I wouldn't really be surprised if it happened again! Ha ha.:rolleyes:

Tim, we're right in there with each other. We're learning though. Think about it, we wouldn't have gotten any right a few months ago. Let's decide to feel good about it.

I know I would finish in last place if I was on a Croton ID game show. Of all photos posted I got 1 right. :mad:

Now that I've pulled on every leaf of every croton in Rons yard I feel much better now. He gets so irritated by that. He gave me avocados so I would go away.

Is 'The Finest Unknown' a real name?

Ana - the story about "The Finest Unknown" was that Ray found this cultivar growing in a garden somewhere on the West Coast (perhaps the St. Pete/Tampa Bay area. Ray reportedly tagged the plant "the Finest Unknown" until he could secure an ID. I'm not sure how much time has elasped, but it has been quite some time. It has yet to be ID'd with a name. That is what it was tagged as when Keith gave me a rooted cutting several years ago. It is a fabulous looking croton in my opinion, and can't really compare it to another. Perhaps Ray could elaborate or correct the story as I have relayed it.

Is it's name "The Finest Unknown", is it a "legitimat"e name ... ? Well its what we are calling it. The few that are out there all came from Ray's original cutting I believe.

Now that I've pulled on every leaf of every croton in Rons yard I feel much better now. He gets so irritated by that. He gave me avocados so I would go away.

Chris - tell the whole story. You don't pull on leaves, you wrench them off. Of course your leaf pulling fetish is concentrated on the rarer or slower growing varieties. :rolleyes:

My suggestion to harvest avocados for Doris was to busy your hands with the picker. After all, the Kiss & Tell was running out of leaves for you to yoke off. :p