Dr Frank Brown variant??

Bullwinkle

Esteemed Member
17/11/10
I was told Frank Brown but the red leaf is stumping me??I have seen many Frank Brown's but never one with a red leaf??

Attachments

• 142_0081 (2).jpg
    142_0081 (2).jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 142_0082 (4).jpg
    142_0082 (4).jpg
    210 KB · Views: 148
Mike,
There are two Frank Browns. The one you have is also known as Davis 14 and in my opinion is a much nicer plant than the other that has little color.
Marie

Wow,thanks for the information.It really is a great plant.I cant wait until it gets a little size.I had never seen this one before.

Mike,
There are two Frank Browns. The one you have is also known as Davis 14 and in my opinion is a much nicer plant than the other that has little color.
Marie

It was my impression that the larger leaved Dr. Frank Brown was a Davis bred cultivar. Are both actually Davis originated plants? :confused:

Looks like Davis #14 is going to be added to my wish list. :eek:

Marie, the Davis Frank Brown is Davis #14? Thanks for the info as I never knew that. I think that's a synonym we missed before.

What's the darker, often blacked out, more common Frank Brown with broad leaves? Is it a Coppinger hybrid?

There is a coppinger Dr. brown, its a very beautiful plant- looks nothing like the one above, It is very hard
to root and difficult to keep alive. I had 3 plants at different times, and they all have died.

December 2005 Croton Society calendar has a picture of Davis#14. The leaves appear large AND red.

Thanks for all the info,this thread has been informative.So just to get things straight there are 7 known numbered Davis varieties??
Davis 1
Davis 3
Davis 4
Davis 7
Davis 14
Davis 17
Davis 87

Here's an old thread that deals with Davis 14. If you refer to the 2005 Calendar, the Davis Frank Brown is not the same as Davis 14. Mike, do you remember where you got your plant?

Cannot say for sure Marie,I still have the plant pictured but it has not grown at all

Here's an old thread that deals with Davis 14. If you refer to the 2005 Calendar, the Davis Frank Brown is not the same as Davis 14. Mike, do you remember where you got your plant?

Cannot say for sure Marie,I still have the plant pictured but it has not grown at all

Is it the same plant you posted on the other thread on Nov. 17th? I think they are both Davis 14 and not Frank Brown. However, if you got it from Jesse, he will call it Frank Brown.

here's some pics of a small air layer of the other Frank Brown - the difficult and hard to grow one that Keith mentioned earlier. This one gets some TLC this winter.

Attachments

• DSCN4705.jpg
    DSCN4705.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCN4706.jpg
    DSCN4706.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN4707.jpg
    DSCN4707.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCN4708.jpg
    DSCN4708.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 106
Dr Frank Brown , bought it as one , really is showing its colors now

Attachments

• 120.jpg
    120.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 066.jpg
    066.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 125
Thanks for all the info,this thread has been informative.So just to get things straight there are 7 known numbered Davis varieties??
Davis 1
Davis 3
Davis 4
Davis 7
Davis 14
Davis 17
Davis 87

OK, so what about the Davis #10 that Jeff had for sale at the Glock's tour this past weekend?

Mike,
Marie

This statement I made in 2011 is incorrect. There are two Frank Browns - one Davis and one Coppinger. There is also Davis 14 which looks like the plant that was posted by Mike and similar to the "Frank Brown" posted by David. If anyone still has the 2005 calendar of the Ralph Davis Collection, both the Davis Frank Brown and Davis 14 are pictured.

OK, so what about the Davis #10 that Jeff had for sale at the Glock's tour this past weekend?

Tim, if I may,

This was a plant I got while I think visiting Frank Brown's house several years ago while Bob was there as well. He named it. So, I brought the plant to the Glocks on Saturday for an updated confirmation, which he was excited to see and confirmed again. But nobody really paid much attention to it, which really surprised me. A pretty rare plant.....

The mother plant at the house ( 5' x 4' ), now has a red sport on it of which it looks like a dead ringer for Columbia.

here's some pics of a small air layer of the other Frank Brown - the difficult and hard to grow one that Keith mentioned earlier. This one gets some TLC this winter.

Phil how did you come by that air layer it looks very similar to one of the golden oldies.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 117
Here is the Coppinger Dr.Brown. For 2 years it did not do much in a 6" pot I finally put it in the ground and shot off, the wiki pics was they day I plant it. Forgot how long ago. 5 months ago? maybe,
the next 2 are Blotched Dr.Brown both from Stans they are in very dark shade and lost a lot of color over the last 2 years I have an airlayer ready to go and into more sun to see what happens.

Attachments

• IMG_2128.jpg
    IMG_2128.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2129.jpg
    IMG_2129.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2130.jpg
    IMG_2130.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2133.jpg
    IMG_2133.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 113
It has a label that says #6 maybe a Davis #6 ?????

Attachments

• 094.jpg
    094.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 093.jpg
    093.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 111
  • 146.jpg
    146.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 118
David, I'm not sure about #6, but it would make sense that there would beat least be Davis's #1-#87. It kinda looks like Plaid Oak, kinda sort of.:roll eyes: Nice pattern though.

David, I'm not sure about #6, but it would make sense that there would beat least be Davis's #1-#87. It kinda looks like Plaid Oak, kinda sort of.:roll eyes: Nice pattern though.

I have a Plaid Oak it is quite a bit different . the #6 is a super quick grower , it grew from 2.5 ft to 6ft in 5 months .For a yellow and green it is very eye appealing .Thanks david

Phil how did you come by that air layer it looks very similar to one of the golden oldies.

Kinda looks like the same plant, mayby kinda ????? 40 yr old plant from PSL . . It was an old General development neighborhood plant . I was able to save from constant hedgeing from being to close to road , blocking view. When i first saw the plant it was around 7 ft , next time i went by it had been cut down to around 4 ft . i thought it was a Christians Landscape but when i got it home it was different than mine ...... Help ID please !!!

Attachments

• 167.jpg
    167.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 116
Kinda looks like the same plant, mayby kinda ????? 40 yr old plant from PSL . . It was an old General development neighborhood plant . I was able to save from constant hedgeing from being to close to road , blocking view. When i first saw the plant it was around 7 ft , next time i went by it had been cut down to around 4 ft . i thought it was a Christians Landscape but when i got it home it was different than mine ...... Help ID please !!!

as in post 31 ...