COSTA RICAN CROTON WANDERINGS-THE MANY FACES OF OVALIFOLIUM

donroberth

19/07/09
WIKI: OVALIFOLIUM, Category: Small Leaves aka Cup and Saucer…the crotons with small leaves are distinguished by the more dainty and delicate older cultivars. While most small leaves are pointed, with a "drip tip" ending, some are rounded at the end of the leaf.

CROTON OVALIFOLIUM, Hortus Veitchii Catalog of PI. 1874, p. 133, fig. a very distinct form with large oval leaves, from the South Sea Islands through the late John Gould Veitch’s

ROBERTICO: Costa Rican Spanish…idiomatic: “Oreja de Chancho” (Sow’s Ear).

FOTOS 1 thru 4: Close-ups for Ana…:D

Attachments

• 1 OVALIFOLIUM-OROTINA.jpg
    1 OVALIFOLIUM-OROTINA.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 2 OVALIFOLIUM DSC09874.jpg
    2 OVALIFOLIUM DSC09874.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 3 OVALIFOLIUM-CLOSEUP.jpg
    3 OVALIFOLIUM-CLOSEUP.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 4 OVALIFOLIUM-CLOSEUP.jpg
    4 OVALIFOLIUM-CLOSEUP.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 79
FOTOS 5-6-7: typical examples of Croton Clusters as displayed by Costa Rican gardeners.

Attachments

• 5 CROTON CLUSTER.jpg
    5 CROTON CLUSTER.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 6 CROTON CLUSTER.jpg
    6 CROTON CLUSTER.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 7 OVALIFOLIUM-STEWARTII-VEITCHII 3 in 1.jpg
    7 OVALIFOLIUM-STEWARTII-VEITCHII 3 in 1.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 102
FOTOS 8-9-10: More street-side OVALIFOLIUMS.

Attachments

• 8 OVALIFOLIUM-GUACHIPELIN.jpg
    8 OVALIFOLIUM-GUACHIPELIN.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 9 OVALIFOLIUM-PAVAS.jpg
    9 OVALIFOLIUM-PAVAS.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 10 OVALIFOLIUM-LA GARITA.jpg
    10 OVALIFOLIUM-LA GARITA.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 78
FOTOS 11-12-13: Let’s wander outside of San Jose into the country. Pic #11 is a typical country scene with a garden or a large Croton(s) out in front of this rural “Mini-Mart”…FOTOS 12 & 13 have also been taken along the road outside of the Central Valley.

Attachments

• 11 OVALIFOLIUM-SAN MATEO.jpg
    11 OVALIFOLIUM-SAN MATEO.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 12 OVALIFOLIUM-SAN MATEO.jpg
    12 OVALIFOLIUM-SAN MATEO.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 13 OVALIFOLIUM-OROTINA.jpg
    13 OVALIFOLIUM-OROTINA.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 90
One of my favorites because this is one of the crotons that looks its best in full sun ,one tiny problem in my area is the scale loves this one almost as much as Katoni :) Thanks for pics

FOTOS 11-12-13: Let’s wander outside of San Jose into the country. Pic #11 is a typical country scene with a garden or a large Croton(s) out in front of this rural “Mini-Mart”…FOTOS 12 & 13 have also been taken along the road outside of the Central Valley.

FOTOS 17 & 18: A very handsome sport that has manifested itself on this Ovalifolium, #18 close-up of the leaves: clockwise…1:00 o’clock (yellow sport), 6:00 o’clock…long-established Ovalifolium leaves and 10:00 o’clock…an all green throw-back branch.

FOTOS: 19 & 20: Another large Ovalifolium also populated by a different but very attractive sport…#20 close-up.

Attachments

• 17 OVALIFOLIUM SPORT-LA GARITA.jpg
    17 OVALIFOLIUM SPORT-LA GARITA.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 18 OVALIFOLIUM & SPORTS-LA GARITA.jpg
    18 OVALIFOLIUM & SPORTS-LA GARITA.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 19 OVALIFOLIUM-SPORTS-LA GARITA.jpg
    19 OVALIFOLIUM-SPORTS-LA GARITA.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 20 OVALIFOLIUM SPORT-LA GARITA.jpg
    20 OVALIFOLIUM SPORT-LA GARITA.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 126
NOTE: I recommend you click on the link below….CENTRALFLADAVE, sport getting better with age. This, in order to enjoy an interesting and “apropos banter” with FORUM members re: CROTON SPORTS…..

http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/showthread.php?2875-Sport-getting-better-with-age&highlight=Ovalifolium+SPORTS[/url]

I see that little piggie went to market, love your work am always pleased when I see your post. I will give you something in return. Of course I don't have a name.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 84
OOOPS!!! I forgot, or inadvertently jumped, FOTOS #14-15-16...

NOTE: Crotons of the World: B. Frank Brown ED. D, pg. 5. “The word “sport” is used throughout this book is the biological term for a branch which is a departure from the parent type. Episodes of occasional sports in horticulture are rare but in the case of Codiaeums they are not unusual. This provides Codiaeums with a special means of originating new forms.”

FOTOS 14-15-16: #14 a nice Ovalifolium cultivar sporting an “all green throw back branch” (Mollucanum) in the center…#15 this large cultivar has been taken over by approximately 40-50% with throw back branches…and finally #16 has lost the battle and reverted 90-95% back to its origins.

Attachments

• 14 OVALIFOLIUM-SANTA ANA.jpg
    14 OVALIFOLIUM-SANTA ANA.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 15 OVALIFOLIUM-LA GARITA.jpg
    15 OVALIFOLIUM-LA GARITA.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 16 OVALIFOLIUM-ROHMOSER.JPG
    16 OVALIFOLIUM-ROHMOSER.JPG
    319.1 KB · Views: 94
Robertico - Ovalifolium is known to produce sports more readily than most other cultivars. I'm not referring to the "throw backs". These are some very mature plants. If you search very closely you may find some. Or check out others during your wanderings, you come across a very interesting one. :)

Sports happen :cool: