Variegated Adonidia merrillii fertilizing

James_Guam

19/10/13
Håfa Adai (hello) All,

I have recently acquired a pair of variegated Manila palms (Christmas palms), Adonidia merrillii from a local garden center. The variegation is very nice and visible on all leaves. It's not as vibrant as the pics of trees I've seen online. I was curious if anyone was familiar with a particular fertilizer ratio that would make the leaf color more pronounced and vibrant. I grow several types of variegated pandanus plants and they aren't too picky with soil type/nutrients and grow very well, with well defined colors. I'm hopeful that someone has experience with this and knows how to accomplish what I'm looking to do. If there's not a way, that's okay as they're pretty cool nonetheless. Just a side note they're in pots still and will be planted in the next few months so if I get some advice before hand I can start work on amending the soil.

image.jpg
Palm trees

image.jpg
Palm #1 frond

image.jpg
Palm #2 frond

Thanks in advance!

-James

They have great variegation. I have had a hard time growing variegated palms. My newest variegated palm is a Livistona saribus, so far so good.

They have great variegation. I have had a hard time growing variegated palms. My newest variegated palm is a Livistona saribus, so far so good.

I like them a lot. I've read online that variegated palms prefer shade because of "sunburn". I'll probably end up planting these below one of the larger trees in the yard, although they were kept in the open portion of the garden center receiving full sun vice under the shade cloth protected area (probably due to their size. They're about 4 feet tall from the soil level).

On a different topic, I saw a variegated foxtail seedling once at a private seller's home but it wasn't for sale. I was there to pick up a few foxtails for the yard. He said that was the first one he's seen from his trees, and he's been growing&selling foxtail and bismarki palms for about 15 years. It was just one yellow leaf on every frond. Nothing too crazy but still pretty neat.

Wow - those are nice. But I think you are just going to have to experiment. Any advice you get IMO would be suspect anyway. There are so many types of variegation on so many different plants that I have a feeling what works for one would not necessarily work for others. But I have found that it is the white variegation that burns the most, with some of the light yellow somewhat forgiving. But again, I don't think that is universal. In any case, I think in Guam with all the humidity and passing clouds (if you have them) a little sun should be OK.

I'll test out different types when it comes time to fertilize. I think they'll like being out of the pots better. We've had several tropical storms come thru so I've been keeping them in a protected area for the time being. Thanks for all the input.

-James