Moving from PalmTalk to PalmPedia

Dang Scott, you don't waste any time. I was urged by many to at least wait a day to see what happens. At this point they've turned the pms back on. We'll see what they decide in the long run. At least we have some power over our forum

Matty, No regrets here. Hope change will come for the IPS in the long run. Until change I will refrain from posting there.

Matty, No regrets here. Hope change will come for the IPS in the long run. Until change I will refrain from posting there.

I would be interested in what the changes are that you want to see. My original frustration was with the poor handling of the whole PalmTalk issue, but this seems to be a symptom of a larger issue.

I don't know which palmorama you were looking at, there are several. But if it's the one that starts with music (Welcome to the Jungle) - that is Jerry Andersen's - one of my favorite gardens. I might be doing mine here soon. The name should be on the URL or the link.

Yes it was Jerry Andersen's garden! But I was just clicking arround and didn't read anything. :)

Regards,
Milos

IPS Mission Statement- IPS INC is operated solely and exclusively for the scientific and or educational purposes related to the study of palms, their propagation, culture, conservation, care, and development.

IPS Mission Statement- IPS INC is operated solely and exclusively for the scientific and or educational purposes related to the study of palms, their propagation, culture, conservation, care, and development.

I have contemplated for years on joining the IPS. I check in on the IPS site every so often to see how they stand behind the mission statement. I have not seen how they go about standing behind the statement. Do you have to be a IPS member to know? I would have no problem joining the IPS if I understood how they go about upholding their statement. :confused:

I have contemplated for years on joining the IPS. I check in on the IPS site every so often to see how they stand behind the mission statement. I have not seen how they go about standing behind the statement. Do you have to be a IPS member to know? I would have no problem joining the IPS if I understood how they go about upholding their statement. :confused:

Scott - in general I think they do that. What is it that you are taking exception to?

I've been a loyal member here pretty much since Palmpedia was started. Not much though under the Palm Section, mainly because there's not much action. BUT, I am a big contributor over at the Croton Forum. I don't post many pictures, but would gladly put my input in regarding any palm discussions. Thanks Dean, I think you know how I feel...

Ha ha, sorry, didn't mean to offend you Dean, perhaps "snoop" was the wrong choice of words. You're welcome to read my PMs. Actually I heard this from many members, some wanting to contact me via E-mail because they were affraid you read the PMs. So I am just repeating what I heard.

The problem with the PM feature being turned off on PalmTalk is that moderators can't actually do any community management. Sure, they can warn people or turn threads off, but there's no real means to truly manage a community. So I agree with Dean that it spells the demise of PalmTalk.

Axel - Dean spends very little time being the Mod here. All his headaches come from Palm Talk. Trust me, no BOD here or snooping. The forum is much more liberal than Palm Talk. As a matter of fact - only one person has ever had his posting priviledges ever permanently revoked here. That person was a stumphead from Palm Talk who Dean gave a second chance here. That person "has personal issues" who attacked everyone, so he had to get "stumped" again.

Most people who visit Palmpedia, do so for the encyclopedias or visit the Croton Forum. Anyone who "googles" croton forum gets directed here. There are tons of visitors who are lurkers but never register. Being one of the most active posters on Palm Talk, I urge you to make posts here as well. Most lurkers here never go on to Palm Talk, so your posts will get viewed by alot of new eyes. You just won't see as many responses or quickly as on Palm Talk. I think this is a great forum and should be visited more often by Palm Talk members. PalmTalk should not be the "only Game in Town". Alternatives are a good thing IMO. :D

Axel - Dean spends very little time being the Mod here. All his headaches come from Palm Talk. Trust me, no BOD here or snooping. The forum is much more liberal than Palm Talk. As a matter of fact - only one person has ever had his posting priviledges ever permanently revoked here. That person was a stumphead from Palm Talk who Dean gave a second chance here. That person "has personal issues" who attacked everyone, so he had to get "stumped" again.

Most people who visit Palmpedia, do so for the encyclopedias or visit the Croton Forum. Anyone who "googles" croton forum gets directed here. There are tons of visitors who are lurkers but never register. Being one of the most active posters on Palm Talk, I urge you to make posts here as well. Most lurkers here never go on to Palm Talk, so your posts will get viewed by alot of new eyes. You just won't see as many responses or quickly as on Palm Talk. I think this is a great forum and should be visited more often by Palm Talk members. PalmTalk should not be the "only Game in Town". Alternatives are a good thing IMO. :D

Moose, agreed, I will post here. Choice is a good thing. I actually am interested in contributing to the Wiki as well.