Winter Outlook for Palm Growing in the US

Axel

13/06/13
Looks good so far for the West Coast, the Eastern Gulf shore and Florida. It's not looking so hot for Texas, though. Do you plan on protecting any palms that may be marginal for your climate this Winter?

Not sure if image tags work. Will see:

650x366_10071419_winter-2013-14-adc-hd.jpg

650x366_10071419_winter-2013-14-adc-hd.jpg

I have a bunch of sprouts/seedlings I've been keeping out doors and i'll probably continue to do. I decided that i'm not going to protect anything for winter ... lucky for me we don't get much frost if at all and rarely drop below freezing so hopefully everything should be alright, especially since i don't have anything too marginal for my 10a/10b area

Also good news for the west coast is NOAA's milder than average temperature predictions for the entire season. I hope the predictions are accurate!

i hope the predictions are right too, I've held off on a few plantings because i don't know how wet/cold the season's going to get but it's been so warm lately that i don't think i can resist planting right now .... especially since I've spent the whole growing season building the yard

Weather forecasts for the coming year for the 2 non-contiguous states:

Hawaii: Nice; Rainy on one side and dry on the other

Alaska: Cold.

Wait, Dean doesn't worry about freezes, but there's an equivalent: kona winds. That's when the humidity plummets and all those palms spoiled by the lovely constantly wet windward climate stress out. I'd take a kona wind spell any day over a nasty cold spell with freezes.

Alaska:
The mildest areas will be colder than any living palm can reasonably stand. The coldest will be too cold for the hardiest tree known to man...and colder than a warm day on Mars. I think that pretty much means a normal winter for Alaska. On the upside, the palms at the park in Barrow that are constructed of Whalebones seem to be hardy, though their growth rate seems slow.

But how about the outlook for Alaska? :)

Alaska:
The mildest areas will be colder than any living palm can reasonably stand. The coldest will be too cold for the hardiest tree known to man...and colder than a warm day on Mars. I think that pretty much means a normal winter for Alaska. On the upside, the palms at the park in Barrow that are constructed of Whalebones seem to be hardy, though their growth rate seems slow.

Arent there Trachycarpus on some of the southern islands of alaska?