My top performers....

TikiRick

21/06/09
I thought I would post a few photos of my top few crotons in my collection. Some are more unusual, some are not. Some happen to be growing in their favorite conditions with light, wind protection, etc. Some of these are also my favorites.

1 is Helen Edge. Its growing in a container and only gets morning to midday sun. It's in a very protected spot.
2 is Rudy Bachman. I love this croton. It is a fairly slow grower, but worth it. Great color in some strong sun.
3 is Queen Emma in strong all morning to midday sun. It takes the wind, salt water intrusion, and is a champ for color.
4 is what I am calling "Easter" since no one can find a true name for this one. Found in a croton cutting pile on the street years ago.
5 is Nestor. This is growing in similar conditions as Queen Emma along my seawall. However, this is a bit cold sensitive even here in my zone 10B.
6 is an unknown seedling in my garden that was showing promise. Low and behold, a true orange sport emerged. I may call this one "Logi" a Nordic god of fire, if no one can identify this one.
7 is a containerized Bimbo. Love the color, large leaves, and impact.
8 is Carot. Love the fact that this is a full, slower grower for me. Takes morning sun and is protected from the wind somewhat.

More to come!

Attachments

• IMG_5144.JPG
    IMG_5144.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_5149.JPG
    IMG_5149.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_5153.JPG
    IMG_5153.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5146.JPG
    IMG_5146.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5148.JPG
    IMG_5148.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_5124.JPG
    IMG_5124.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5122.JPG
    IMG_5122.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_5126.JPG
    IMG_5126.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 99
:cool: Great looking plants Rick. Is #5 really Nestor? It looks nothing like what I have as Nestor.

Rick, those are gorgeous! And I love that you put what kind of light you are growing them in because that is the kind of info that's really useful for me:D.

I think you probably put another Bimbo photo in instead of your Rudy Bachman? Could #3 be Duncan Macaw and #5 be Rubens?

Your plants are so colorful and healthy looking! I love the Easter croton. Such nice white pattern with red petioles- and with rather long leaves. Beautiful. The Bimbo and Duncan Macaw are awesome too. Now I know where to plant my new tiny Duncan Macaw. Thanks! Don't forget to keep posting!

Rick, those are gorgeous! And I love that you put what kind of light you are growing them in because that is the kind of info that's really useful for me:D.

I think you probably put another Bimbo photo in instead of your Rudy Bachman? Could #3 be Duncan Macaw and #5 be Rubens?

Your plants are so colorful and healthy looking! I love the Easter croton. Such nice white pattern with red petioles- and with rather long leaves. Beautiful. The Bimbo and Duncan Macaw are awesome too. Now I know where to plant my new tiny Duncan Macaw. Thanks! Don't forget to keep posting!

Yes, Anna, good eye. Number 3 is my 10' Duncan Macaw. Yes, and error...it's Rubens not Nestor, thanks Scott.

Whew.. When I read Nestor is a bit cold sensitive I became a bit scared. I just got myself a Nestor. Anyone know how Nestor performs in the cold?

I've had Nestor for 20 years; there's a few in the neighborhood that have been here longer; and there's a big one at Sunken Gardens that looks 50 years old. It's a realifble old cultivar that sports a lot.