The other shoe drops next week (in Central Florida at least)

Crazy for Crotons

29/06/09
There's a mega trough forecast for the east coast next week and 30's (or maybe worse) are a sure bet in central Florida. Watch the numbers they're forecasting now tumble as the first few days after new year approach. I hate winter.

Is the other shoe dropping similiar to the sky is falling, the sky is falling? LOL...Luv the cooler weather myself. Or course not near freezing weather, but I'll take some cool dips every so often! Free Air-Conditioning...

Reportedly the AO has drifted to the negative. Has this stabilized or changing?

Dave, what are your temperature predictions after the cold event? What are your forecasted highs?

The plants can take these events with little problems if they remain short term.

What are the forecasted temps for Tampa / St. Pete area? On Palm Talk someone posted that Scott's area could experience the high 20's. :confused:

Anyone know what Southeast Florida is in store for? I missed the weather report this am. :(

Winter Haven, FL supposed to see lows of 39, 32, & 39 on the 2nd, 3rd & 4th, respectively. Fortunately, the coolest high is 56 on the 3rd and we rebound into the 60s on the 4th and 70s by late next week. Let's hope this is the only one of these this winter.

Happy New Year Everyone,

Rich

Ron, The coldest for my area as of this posting ( 12/31/11 @ 2:45pm) is a warm 36 on the 3rd. But it usually trends downward in the forcasts as time moves forward. If it happens it happens, I really do not care any longer. Plants here at my place need to take the 27-32 range or they did not belong here in the first place. I think that Crotons may be a little to wimpy for my area unless you can place them in a good micro-climate area in the garden Current temp is a nice 78.

I had 39F in the yard this Tuesday morning. They are warning colder tonight. weather.com says 34F for Wednesday morning. We will see. Not too scared at that temp. I'll bring in some cantainer croton (zanzibar and paintbrush) and palms in before night fall.

Latest from NWS Melbourne, Fl. for HARD FREEZE warnings. Oh Oh...the other shoe is dropping, the other shoe is dropping! Luckily I'm on a barrier island and I hope Merritt Island works it's magic tonight!

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MELBOURNE FL
305 PM EST TUE JAN 3 2012

.DISCUSSION...
...HARD FREEZE TONIGHT INLAND...
...FREEZING MOST SPOTS ELSEWHERE OUTSIDE THE BARRIER ISLANDS...

CURRENTLY...ARCTIC HIGH PRESSURE CENTERED OVER LOWER MS VALLEY HAS
PUSHED VERY COLD DRY AIR SOUTH INTO THE PENINSULA. WINDS HAVE
DIMINISHED SOMEWHAT FROM THE MORNING SURGE WHERE PRE-DAWN GUSTS OF
35 TO 40 MPH OCCURRED DURING THE INITIAL PUSH OF THE AIRMASS INTO
THE AREA. SINGLE DIGIT DEWPOINTS SOUTH INTO OSCEOLA COUNTY ARE
EVIDENCE OF THE PENDING COOLDOWN TONIGHT.

LTST GFS MOS AND GFS COOP MOS GUIDANCE FOCUSES ON HARD FREEZE FOR
MUCH OF THE AREA WITH LOWER TO MID 20S PROJECTED OVER THE COLDER
INLAND AREAS AND SUB FREEZING CONDITIONS FOR THE COAST GENERALLY
WEST OF US HIGHWAY 1. ONLY SPARING ELEMENT IS A TENDENCY FOR WINDS
ABV THE BOUNDARY LAYER TO COMMENCE AN SLIGHT ONSHORE COMPONENT AT
THE IMMEDIATE COAST AFT 06Z SOUTH OF CAPE CANAVERAL. NOT AS SURE
ON PSBL CLOUD INFLUENCE ATTM.

FULL DECOUPLING NOT EXPECTED WITH THE HIGH CENTER STILL WELL WEST
OF THE AREA AND WE ARE LOOKING FOR PARTIAL DECOUPLING WITH SFC
WINDS IN THE 4 TO 7 MPH RANGE AND CLOUD FREE SKIES. TEMPS WILL
PLUMMET WITH NIGHTFALL GIVEN THE T/TD SPREAD WITH SOME LEVELING
OFF DURING THE EARLY MORNING HOURS...HOWEVER HARD FREEZE FOR 2 TO 4
HOURS LIKELY IN THE WARNING AREA WITH 2 TO 3 HOURS FREEZING AT THE
COAST THROUGH 8 AM.

43F here at 6.30 am.Temps head up from here for the rest of the week so this week's snap probably wont do too much damage here :)

Every croton in a container here are showing the affects of the weather. :( The wind definitely did not help. Some have simply melted down. All containers were saturated yesterday evening. Again before sunrise hoping they will warm up. With clear skies, perhaps the sunshine along with an anticipated high of 60F will be beneficial.

:confused: Keeping my fingers crossed.

Whats happening in your neck of the woods?

6am temps from around the State:

PENSACOLA CLEAR 33
TALLAHASSEE CLEAR 20
GAINESVILLE CLEAR 22
JACKSONVILLE CLEAR 25
ST AUGUSTINE CLEAR 31
OCALA CLEAR 23
ORLANDO INTL CLEAR 34
LAKELAND CLEAR 30
DAYTONA BEACH CLEAR 32
CAPE CANAVERAL CLEAR 37
PATRICK AFB CLEAR 40 (Ha Ha) closest weather station to my house...
MELBOURNE CLEAR 34
VERO BEACH CLEAR 34
FT PIERCE CLEAR 36
CLEARWATER CLEAR 39
TAMPA INTL CLEAR 35
ST PETERSBURG CLEAR 42
SARASOTA CLEAR 35
W PALM BEACH PTCLDY 39
MIAMI CLEAR 43
KEY WEST INTL CLEAR 51

My place briefly saw 38 at around 6:45. It was 43 when I woke up at 6. I didn't do any thing but place all the crotons under my lanai. The temp shoots back up so I couldn't justify setting up my greenhouse for this event. I'll just hope for the best.

I can't find my shoes. Hey but how 'bout that warm December eh?! More cold headed our way around the 16th. The more things change, the more they stay the same. See what happens when it's warm and you talk about it? Next year when it's 80F, say something like "gee it's cold, I sure wish it would warm up". I spent 3 days preparing and moving plants around for 35 degrees. Tomorrow, I'll start the 3 day process of putting things back. In a truly warm winter, this wouldn't be necessary. Chalk this winter up with the last 3.

I can't find my shoes. Hey but how 'bout that warm December eh?! More cold headed our way around the 16th. The more things change, the more they stay the same. See what happens when it's warm and you talk about it? Next year when it's 80F, say something like "gee it's cold, I sure wish it would warm up". I spent 3 days preparing and moving plants around for 35 degrees. Tomorrow, I'll start the 3 day process of putting things back. In a truly warm winter, this wouldn't be necessary. Chalk this winter up with the last 3.

Ah, Ray :eek: - I found one of your shoes in the Moose Land this morning. :(

Attachments

• shoe1_01.jpg
    shoe1_01.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 96
I've had the opportunity to walk through the yard while dragging the watering hose. I haven't seen any damage to any plant.

No croton leaf drop. Not even the copper leaf or papaya shows leaf burn.

Now we are back in the mid-70s and perfect Blue Sky weather. Luv the winter. Free air-conditioning!

Last weeks cold snap was typical for January,nothing to worry about yet :)

I've had the opportunity to walk through the yard while dragging the watering hose. I haven't seen any damage to any plant.

No croton leaf drop. Not even the copper leaf or papaya shows leaf burn.

Now we are back in the mid-70s and perfect Blue Sky weather. Luv the winter. Free air-conditioning!

I don't see anything on the weather.com ten day forecast that has me 'skeered'. Actually looking forward to the cooler temps. This is why we live here in Florida! Good time to get the outdoor projects worked on and get some outdoor biking/hiking etc. Plus, we finally get to break out all those christmas sweaters our family sends us from up North. LOL. It seems I'm a rarity on this board but I like the cooler temps. Bring it...

A bit premature reintroducing this thread. The "zapato" days are drawing nearer ...

Any overall Winter projections being forecasted?

Premature??????? :p That winter is in the history books now. I will say "it was a good one" and the one that followed was also good.