Cover Girl-Rick Leitner
President Reagan-Jose Lopez
Mango-Scott McIntosh and Randy Weisner

Today's entries:

Von Oosterezeii-Randy Weisner
Goldfinger-Scott McIntosh and Allan Ragobar
Hot and Steamy-Randy Weisner
Robert Halgrim-Rick Leitner and Tim O'Donnel

I'm looking for very good photos of mature specimens of Hot and Steamy showing typical characteristics. Please?:D Thanks!

Glancing at the wiki today I thought we could use not only Hot and Steamy, but Embassy, Rubii, Della McGee, and Goldfinger photos of somewhat mature specimens. I know some of you have these! Phil, I'm thinking of you and that lovely, lovely Goldfinger of yours.

As a matter of fact, anything that looks good this time of year should be photographed. Some of the wiki photos could be exchanged or added to with better examples. Come on, people! Get out there between football games, will you? Half time too.

Also, those of you who have very rare specimens not yet in the wiki. Please post if you can. Thanks.

Ana

Glancing at the wiki today I thought we could use not only Hot and Steamy, but Embassy, Rubii, Della McGee, and Goldfinger photos of somewhat mature specimens. I know some of you have these! Phil, I'm thinking of you and that lovely, lovely Goldfinger of yours.

As a matter of fact, anything that looks good this time of year should be photographed. Some of the wiki photos could be exchanged or added to with better examples. Come on, people! Get out there between football games, will you? Half time too.

Also, those of you who have very rare specimens not yet in the wiki. Please post if you can. Thanks.

Ana

I live for the football season. Canes and Dolphins both undefeated - plants are going to suffer. :rolleyes:

Celebrated the Dolphins victory with finishing up my fertilization project. Was done walking back my empty containers as the heavens opened to wash it in. Great timing on a happy Football weekend.

Sorry Ana - don't have any "mature" cultivars of the photos you requested. :(

Today's entries:

Von Oosterezeii-Randy Weisner
Goldfinger-Scott McIntosh and Allan Ragobar
Hot and Steamy-Randy Weisner
Robert Halgrim-Rick Leitner and Tim O'Donnel

I'm looking for very good photos of mature specimens of Hot and Steamy showing typical characteristics. Please?:D Thanks!

Not the best example, but an updated photo DSC_0108.jpg of the Hot and Steamy in the WIKI

The wiki is a little thin on the following cultivars as well. Please post a photo if you have one of these:

Queen Elizabeth
Quirko (Ray, I'm thinking of you on this one)

Also, is Punctatum Aureum the same as punctatum? A synonym? Is Roseo Pictus a synonym of Gonzales? Jeff, what is Columbiana #2? How is it different from Columbiana?

Anna - You'll have to wait for the rain to stop here. 6" ++ over past three days and still pouring. The South Pinellas Desert is starting to look like the S. Pinellas Swamp.

The wiki is a little thin on the following cultivars as well. Please post a photo if you have one of these:

Queen Elizabeth
Quirko (Ray, I'm thinking of you on this one)

Also, is Punctatum Aureum the same as punctatum? A synonym? Is Roseo Pictus a synonym of Gonzales? Jeff, what is Columbiana #2? How is it different from Columbiana?

I know Roseo Pictus is listed as a syn for Gonzales but they are very different. I tried to photograph Roseo Pictus a couple of years ago to show the difference but the photo was too dark and those on the forum decided they were the same. Even the photo of the Roseo Pictus in the calendar looks similar to Gonzales. Sometimes photos just verify what you have in your mind and if you've never seen what's being photographed, it's hard to see something new and different. The background color of Roseo Pictus is white and it has pink markings. My plants are small but I'll try to capture the difference again.

Does anyone else have Roseo Pictus - a large plant that might show its true character?

here you go Anna. Rain is over so I could get into the swamp for some pics:
Embassy - at first glance looks a bit like Tiger Eye with the spots
Goldfinger
Della McGee - one gal pot air layer salvaged from mother plant dying from root problems
Quirko - another salvage from parent plant which DSCN4617.jpgDSCN4618.jpgDSCN4619.jpgDSCN4620.jpgDSCN4621.jpgDSCN4622.jpgis struggling.

Phil, we got over 6 inches also. My yard is still trying to dry up in places. However, today was a beautiful day and most things looked very happy, except the things that got wet feet! It's always something it seems. Thanks for your contributions- they will go in the wiki shortly.

Thanks, Marie, I thought I remembered someone (probably you) saying something like that, and I noticed the synonym thing is still in the wiki. Will look forward to your photo.

I took some shots of crotons that are missing in the wiki - not the best examples but at least something until better ones are posted.
The first is Pastor Abel. Remember this name was a placeholder put on the plant by David McLean. If you can ID it, all the better.

DSC_0145.jpgDSC_0146.jpg

The next one is Rosea Picta. This is the one I believe is different from Gonzales.

DSC_0148.jpg DSC_0149.jpg

The one that I can't seem to delete from this post is Red Banana

Attachments

• DSC_0147.jpg
    DSC_0147.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 137
The next one is Little Miss Cobra Head.

DSC_0150.jpgDSC_0151.jpg

This doesn't show the size. It's a very small slow growing plant.

I agree Marie's plant looks different than Gonzalez. That means it isn't Gonzalez or Roseo Pictus. Sorry but RP is 100%, unquestionably the same plant as Gonzalez. There's no question in Bob's mind. Marie's plant must be something else altogether.

Thanks, Marie! You know, to me it looks like the Roseo Pictus has a longer, maybe slightly thinner leaf. What do you see as the differences from Gonzales?:confused:

There are slight differences in leaf shape. The primary difference is the color. The leaves on Rosea Picta have a lot of white and sometimes are mostly white with pink and green splotches. I've never seen a Gonzales with white in the leaves.

I agree Marie's plant looks different than Gonzalez. That means it isn't Gonzalez or Roseo Pictus. Sorry but RP is 100%, unquestionably the same plant as Gonzalez. There's no question in Bob's mind. Marie's plant must be something else altogether.

I just referenced Brown's 1960 book. On page 131 he describes "ROSEO PICTUS : Medium long leaves. spotted and suffused with cream, carmine-rose and occasionally some yellow. Compact grower with leaves well clustered. Hybridized by W. Bull, Esq. England and described in Belgique Horticole, 1879."

If Gonzales is from Puerto Rico, I don't think they are the same croton.

Sounds pretty solid to me, Marie. But I never seen a RP in the flesh, so hard for me to sway one way or another. But it's pretty interesting about the information you state.

We're down to Bob's mind vs. referencing books we know are full of errors. Which is the lesser of two "evils"? We can believe Bob when he distinguishes other plants and clears up confusion but he's wrong now?

I just referenced Brown's 1960 book. On page 131 he describes "ROSEO PICTUS :

Medium long leaves - Gonzalez fits the description

Spotted and suffused with cream, carmine-rose and occasionally some yellow. - Gonzalez fits the description.

Compact grower with leaves well clustered. - Again fits the Gonzalez description

Gonzales is from Puerto Rico - where is this information documented? I can see someone in Puerto Rico not knowing it's already a named plant and slapping the Gonzalez name on it. It was probably a Roseo Pictus growing in Puerto Rico.

In a croton description, white is often used a synonym for cream. New white on a croton leaf often fades to an off white, cream color.

If noone is certain of Roseo Pictus because it's never truly been seen, I default to Bob's judgement because he has seen it. He was way too adamant about it for me to question his judgement.

I thought there was a second similar cultivar named Senor Gonzalez? Maybe that is what you have Marie.

On Page 14 of the Christian papers are two very different descriptions - one for Rosea Picta and one for Senor Gonzales. The description of Senor Gonzales seems to match the croton currently called Gonzales.

All of these are from the same plant, one that David McLean originally called "Zadroga" after the client whose backyard contained the plant. There are several leaves that have orange, most have pink. This variety changes both color and pattern depending on sun and shade.

2013-10-01 09.06.00.jpg2013-10-01 09.07.25.jpg2013-10-01 09.07.39.jpg2013-10-01 09.07.43.jpg2013-10-01 09.08.18.jpg

All of these are from the same plant, one that David McLean originally called "Zadroga" after the client whose backyard contained the plant. There are several leaves that have orange, most have pink. This variety changes both color and pattern depending on sun and shade.

View attachment 21724View attachment 21725View attachment 21726View attachment 21727View attachment 21728

Ricky,
Your pictures certainly capture the variation of the leaves. As long as it can be very orange when grown in the sun, i think you IDed it. Thanks. No more Pastor Abel.

For now, I entered all the above comments about Roseo Pictus and Gonzales in the wiki and it is left for the reader to decide what he/she believes. Perhaps there will be more information in the future and things will be more clear. In my browsing through all the forum pages a couple of times I became very aware that crotons are diverse because of their genetic instability and difficult to identify because of their willingness to change appearance readily according to growing conditions. I also became aware that every source available, from books to experts, has made many mistakes during attempts to identify cultivars. We all know these things and there will be differing opinions because of it.

I was gone a few days and just noticed Ricky's post above. So, I'm a little confused. Ricky's and Marie's plants are Mrs. W.F. Dreer and there is no Pastor Abel? Please clarify so I can correct the wiki. Beautiful plant, Ricky.:D Thanks!

Today's entries:

Rheedii-Scott McIntosh
Exotica-Marie Nock
Royal Flush-Randy Weisner
Father's Day-David King

I need more photos of your beautiful plants, people! Please!?!

Zulu.... Showing off her colors !!

Attachments

• 338.jpg
    338.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 368.jpg
    368.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 412.jpg
    412.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 154
  • 517.jpg
    517.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 155
Not sure of id ??? sure is vivid with colors Leaves are 16 inches looks like a sport or johanna Copenger ..??? any IDEAs ....

Attachments

• 565.jpg
    565.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 140
David, the Zulu is gorgeous! So robust and colorful. I need some of your cultural tips on what to do to for my plants!

The next is either Reliance (a sport of Johanna Coppinger) or Johanna Coppinger herself. I lean more toward Reliance, but the backsides are red? There are also more spots on older leaves which look more like Johanna, but the top part of the plant more like Reliance? Let's see what others say. It is a beautiful, beautiful plant. I see more in the background. You gotta show us more!

Today's entries:

Zulu and synonym Noblissima-David King
General Marshall-Randy
Waterfall-Randy
Tortoise Shell-Rick
Claude Lorraine-Rick
Thea-Rick

Hey, no one commented on David's above photo of his unknown. It is a beautiful photo and if id'd, should go into the wiki. Anyone?

Superstar 2 years old , with nice yellow sport !!!!

Attachments

• 096.jpg
    096.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 097.jpg
    097.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 095.jpg
    095.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 137