Croton Donations for the Palm Beach Zoo

fawnridge

04/07/09
Many of you who also frequent GardenWeb might remember Zoo-Katie, who worked at the Palm Beach Zoo up until this past Spring. She had started to build a Croton collection in the zoo, but had a tough time getting plants donated. My stepson, Scott, has taken over her job and would like to get the collection going again. To that end, I am hosting a Croton Donation Day at my garden here in Boca Raton on Sunday, November 10, 2013, starting at 10am.

If you have large, fully rooted Crotons that you would like to donate, please bring them. If you have other Crotons, of any size, that you'd like to swap with other collectors, feel free to bring them and swap. There will not be an auction of plants. There will be barbecue lunch.

Scott will be here with a large van from the zoo to collect all the plants and thank those of you who donate. Perhaps there will be some free passes to the zoo, but that's not guaranteed.

Ricky, Ricky, Ricky! Jim and I are hosting a croton tour/auction gathering here in Ft. Myers on Sat, Nov. 16th! We are at the "mid-point" between the east and west coast groups. We mentioned it at the May meeting at Flamingo,--but you were otherwise occupado.

Lamar - I don't know what they have now, but they have 28 acres, so there's no worry about having more than one of the same variety.

Judy - No promises, but I might ride over with Randy if he's going.

Ray and everyone else - You can drop off Crotons for the zoo at my house whenever you're in the neighborhood. The one-day event is to make it easy for Scott to get as many as possible in one shot. There's also no guarantee there'll be barbecue on any other day, though.

Thanks in advance to everyone who donates.

For those of you who would like to drop off plants early, no problem. Just send me a PM here and I'll make sure to be available to receive them. Between Randy and myself, we already have over a dozen large Crotons ready to go.

Don't know my croton situation...but got bamboo coming out of the wazoo.
Can set something up for you to come dig em

This is a great reason to dig up your "duplicates" & make room for some of those rare ones.:cool: These plants will receive great care under Scott & the Palm Beach Zoo is a tremendous venue to view them.:D How about some exotic manures.............mmmmmmmmm

24 plants from Lamar! Thanks, man!!

larmar2.jpglamar1.jpglamar3.jpg

I'll be away that day but I brought some over already & I have a few more. The Palm Beach Zoo has a perfect canopy for crotons & will expose them to a huge audience . Maybe Scott can acquire some Moose manure :rolleyes: or something exotic to fertilize with.